New Adult Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Q&A with Molly McAdams *CLOSED*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LeAnn (new)

LeAnn (leannelizabeth)

Happy Sunday! And welcome to our fabulous Q&A! Over the next two weeks we have Molly McAdams joining us to answer your questions! Check out Molly's books HERE and ask her questions below!

message 2: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (exbuffalo2001) | 198 comments What is your "must have" during the writing process?

message 3: by Christa (new)

Christa Goettl | 42 comments Will there be anymore books with Trent or Liam?

message 4: by Latifa (new)

Latifa Morrisette | 84 comments If your life was made into a movie, who would play you?

message 5: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic | 218 comments Do you prefer to write listening to music or silence?

Nadine Bookaholic (nadinesobsessedwithbooks) | 119 comments Do you listen to music while writing and if you do does the music ever influence the way the book evolves?

message 7: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 758 comments Do you read a lot of books? If yes, what is your favorite (romance) genre to read?

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments Who are some of your favorite authors?

Alie (Bookscape Away) | 104 comments Which book growing up made you dream of becoming an author? :)

message 10: by winterthekatt (new)

winterthekatt | 12 comments What is the hardest book or scene you have written?

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (ramblingsfromseks) | 34 comments What is your all time favorite book?

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 73 comments What movies do you love to watch over and over again?

message 13: by Medavis66 (new)

Medavis66 | 92 comments Do you ever read comments left by readers and incorporate them into a sequel or another series you are writing?
:-) Elaine

message 14: by Tanja (new)

Tanja Dancy | 87 comments How long does it take you to write a book? And what do you do to prepare? Are you a plotter or a pantster? By the way, I love your covers. They're beautiful.

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 49 comments What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Cassie wrote: "What is your "must have" during the writing process?"

A playlist. I need need need a playlist for each story. Sometimes songs overlap books and even series, but often times you'll see that my books have a distinct sound and feel to them when it comes to the music that I listened to while writing.

message 17: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Christa wrote: "Will there be anymore books with Trent or Liam?"

Ahh! My heart *grabby hands at Trent* Unfortunately, those series are over. It kills me to say that!

message 18: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Latifa wrote: "If your life was made into a movie, who would play you?"

Umm .. wow. Good question. Melissa McCarthy maybe?

message 19: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Loyda wrote: "Do you prefer to write listening to music or silence?"

I absolutely HAVE TO HAVE TO listen to music while I write, and it has to be loud enough that I can't hear myself think. If there's silence, I start thinking about cleaning my house and doing laundry, and ... oh ... I need to add milk to the grocery list....

^^ pretty much exactly what happens.

However, when I read over something I've written, I need it to be silent.

message 20: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Nadine wrote: "Do you listen to music while writing and if you do does the music ever influence the way the book evolves?"

I absolutely do, I can't write unless I'm listening to music. And it totally does! The mood of the songs can totally change the mood of the scene. That's why I have my playlists set up for each book so that the songs can reflect the feel of the book! Sometimes I need certain songs on there for one specific scene only, and if it pops up at the wrong time, it can totally throw off everything for me, and I'll end up deleting it off the playlist.

message 21: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Hanne wrote: "Do you read a lot of books? If yes, what is your favorite (romance) genre to read?"

I do! I'm so obsessed with Fantasy and PNR! Those genres are what got me into reading, and they're what I prefer now. Every now and then I'll read a contemporary romance or a rom com, but it's just not what I enjoy. 9/10 times, you can bet I'm diving into a completely different world than what I live in, and what I write about.

I think that's why I prefer it, because it truly is an escape for me.

message 22: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Nicole wrote: "Who are some of your favorite authors?"

Oh girl...

J.K. Rowling. AL Jackson. Sarah J Maas. Leigh Bardugo. Rachel Van Dyken. ... I'll stop there for now :) I could go on and on and on!

message 23: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Alie wrote: "Which book growing up made you dream of becoming an author? :)"

I actually didn't read growing up. I wasn't a fan of reading at all--like, to the point where I wouldn't even read the assigned books in school. The first books I read was the Twilight Saga when I was about 20/21, and I read them over and over and over again until I knew them like the back of my hand. I fell in love right then and there.

message 24: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Cristina wrote: "What is the hardest book or scene you have written?"

Scene? I would probably have to say chapter 13 of Taking Chances

Book? To The Stars, for sure. Every time Collin entered the book, I felt nauseous and I started shaking. Once he left the scene, I would have to take a break because I felt so physically and emotionally drained from having to be in a scene with him. It was sickening.

message 25: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Stephanie wrote: "What is your all time favorite book?"

Oh goodness. If I could choose a series, I would say Harry Potter, hands down. But if I had to choose just one story, I would say The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh.

message 26: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Michelle wrote: "What movies do you love to watch over and over again?"

ooo! I love this one. umm ... the Father of the Bride movies and My Big Fat Greek Wedding always make me smile and remind me of home.

I could watch all of the Harry Potter movies every day, and never get tired of them.

About Time is an amazing movie that I think a lot of people haven't seen. But once someone watches it, I always hear from them that they watch it over and over again.

message 27: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Medavis66 wrote: "Do you ever read comments left by readers and incorporate them into a sequel or another series you are writing?
:-) Elaine"

I haven't yet! Often times whenever my readers give a suggestion, it's after the book they're suggesting for is already written.

message 28: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Tanja wrote: "How long does it take you to write a book? And what do you do to prepare? Are you a plotter or a pantster? By the way, I love your covers. They're beautiful."

It totally depends on the story! Anywhere from a week to four months. (the "week" timeline is suuppper rare)
And I'm different with each book. I'm usually a pantser, but I have plotted a couple times before!

Thank you so much! I happen to love them too ;)

message 29: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Ruth wrote: "What is your favorite ice cream flavor?"

Peanut butter chocolate.

Mmmmm yes please! *looks around for ice cream*

message 30: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments Molly wrote: "Ruth wrote: "What is your favorite ice cream flavor?"

Peanut butter chocolate.

Mmmmm yes please! *looks around for ice cream*"
We dont get that flavour here in UK, closest ive seen is peanut butter cup Ben and Jerrys which is pretty yummy :P

Nadine Bookaholic (nadinesobsessedwithbooks) | 119 comments Molly wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Do you listen to music while writing and if you do does the music ever influence the way the book evolves?"

I absolutely do, I can't write unless I'm listening to music. And it tota..."

Love it! Music tends influences my mood so I often wondered how it effected writers. I am now following you on Spotify, you have some great playlists there!!!

message 32: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 758 comments Molly wrote: "Hanne wrote: "Do you read a lot of books? If yes, what is your favorite (romance) genre to read?"

I do! I'm so obsessed with Fantasy and PNR! Those genres are what got me into reading, and they're..."

An additional question since you love Fantast and PNR so much. Do you have plans to ever write a book in that genre, since it is very different than your other books?

message 33: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Nicola wrote: "We dont get that flavour here in UK, closest ive seen i..."

ooo that does sound pretty yum!

message 34: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Nadine wrote: "Molly wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Do you listen to music while writing and if you do does the music ever influence the way the book evolves?"

I absolutely do, I can't write unless I'm listening to musi..."

Oh awesome!

message 35: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Hanne wrote: "Molly wrote: "Hanne wrote: "Do you read a lot of books? If yes, what is your favorite (romance) genre to read?"

I do! I'm so obsessed with Fantasy and PNR! Those genres are what got me into readin..."

Oh my word, I would absolutely LOVE to ... except I happen to be horrible at it. I've attempted numerous times. Haha

message 36: by H (new)

H swan (hdeeswan) | 74 comments Top 3 books that you read this year? Thanks!

message 37: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments H wrote: "Top 3 books that you read this year? Thanks!"

oh awesome question!

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas
The Matchmaker's Replacement by Rachel Van Dyken
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Verna Loves Books (vernalovesbooks) | 38 comments Would you love for Taking Chances to be put on the big screen? I know I would. And you would so have to convince Charlie to be Chase because he's the only one suited for the job ;)

Verna Loves Books (vernalovesbooks) | 38 comments What was the hardest thing to write when you were writing Taking Chances? Did you see the ending before you got to it?

message 40: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Verna Loves Books wrote: "Would you love for Taking Chances to be put on the big screen? I know I would. And you would so have to convince Charlie to be Chase because he's the only one suited for the job ;)"

LOL! I would ... of course I would! It would be so interesting to see how it would finally come to life. But I'm pretty sure they would need to hand out Kleenex boxes at the movie theaters

message 41: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Verna Loves Books wrote: "What was the hardest thing to write when you were writing Taking Chances? Did you see the ending before you got to it?"

I definitely did not see the ending before I got there. The whole "chapter 13" part was such a surprise to me, and it was definitely the hardest part to write. I was so traumatized after writing it that I didn't know how to function afterward.

message 42: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Johnson | 47 comments Naming characters...difficult or easy for you? Do you have a method for picking character names?

message 43: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 78 comments What was your favorite childhood book or movie? What is your current obsession or guilty pleasure?

message 44: by Ruth (new)

Ruth McDonnell (ruthboaz) | 78 comments How long does it generally take you to write a book? Who is your favorite author to read?

message 45: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Michelle | 47 comments How do you first get your inspiration for each novel? Does it tend to just come to you, or do you have a specific topic or story you want to write about?
Thank you very much!

message 46: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Tiffany wrote: "Naming characters...difficult or easy for you? Do you have a method for picking character names?"

Extremely difficult! I have a list of names that I'm in love with and would love to use, but haven't/probably won't use any time soon because I need the name to fit the character.

I will scroll through baby name sites for hours (and sometimes even take days) before I find a name that clicks with how I see the character in my head.

message 47: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Brittany wrote: "What was your favorite childhood book or movie? What is your current obsession or guilty pleasure?"

I didn't read growing up, but as for movies, I was a huge Tommy Boy fan ... then again, I was also a huge Father of the Bride and My Big Fat Greek Wedding fan too ;)

Annnnd since you said "current", my husband and I are binge-watching older 90s and 00s shows, and it's making me totally happy to be going back to those times! He and I are watching Friends, and I've been watching Gilmore Girls.

message 48: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Ruth wrote: "How long does it generally take you to write a book? Who is your favorite author to read?"

It takes anywhere from a week to four months (usually four months ... the whole "week" nonsense has only happened a couple times.) Oooo and as for authors:
J.K. Rowling. AL Jackson. Sarah J Maas. Leigh Bardugo. Rachel Van Dyken. ... I'll stop there for now :) I could go on and on and on!

message 49: by Molly (new)

Molly McAdams (molly_mcadams) | 37 comments Kayla wrote: "How do you first get your inspiration for each novel? Does it tend to just come to you, or do you have a specific topic or story you want to write about?
Thank you very much!"

They tend to just come to me! A lot of times via dream. I'll have a very vivid dream, sit on it for a week or so, and then start morphing it into a story, and often times it'll somehow fit it in with a past experience of mine.

Most of my stories started with a dream, and then revolve around past relationships (or my marriage) haha! As for the "specific topics" they usually came from the dream, my life, or a friend's life that has allowed me to write their story. :)

message 50: by Cat (new)

Cat Parisi (catparisi) | 29 comments What is your guilty pleasure, snack wise? Love you & your books are fabulous! So excited to meet you next year and I hope you start doing some live videos!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.