Gore and More discussion

Let the Right One In
This topic is about Let the Right One In
Group Reads > October 2016 Group Read - Let the Right One In

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
This is the thread for October's group read, Let the Right One In Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Please remember to use spoiler alerts and page/chapter tags.

Kandice First thing I want to mention is how much I love that he set it in the 80's. Just far enough back to not be now, but not so far back as to seem historical. He gets the 80's mood and tone perfectly, in my opinion. I wonder how much is lost in the translation to English, though.

Jennifer | 52 comments Fantastic choice! I've read this one a few times so I'm not going to read it again, but I will dig out my copy and discuss with everyone.

I hope you all enjoy it!

message 4: by Christy (last edited Oct 01, 2016 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christy | 14 comments Oh wow...started a few days early and I'm already done! But I still have the book...and there is a LOT to talk about in it! (I loved it so much it's on my favorite's shelf!)

Christy | 14 comments Kandice wrote: "First thing I want to mention is how much I love that he set it in the 80's. Just far enough back to not be now, but not so far back as to seem historical. He gets the 80's mood and tone perfectly,..."

It doesn't feel like much...I'll have to ask my Swedish friend who has read it in both languages and find out for everyone!

Christy | 14 comments Who has gotten to the bathroom scene with Hakan yet?

Graeme Rodaughan I've got a copy on my kindle - I'm here to discuss.

Kandice Christy wrote: "Who has gotten to the bathroom scene with Hakan yet?"

Disgusting! I have to say that one of the things I enjoyed (and feel weird using that word) is how despicable he wrote that character and yet still managed to wring a bit of sympathy out of me for him.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 4 comments I have had a book on my shelf that I one from the library years ago by this author called Let Me In. It appears to be the same book!

message 10: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena If that's the scene with the boy with no teeth, it still haunts me.

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Won't be able to start this til later in the month...

Kandice Matthew wrote: "I have had a book on my shelf that I one from the library years ago by this author called Let Me In. It appears to be the same book!"

It's funny you've just had it on your shelf, because I read it before the American movie was made and the book wasn't popular here yet. I had to request the translation though ILL ans was nervous the whole time I read. They almost require a promise of your first born's blood!

message 13: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (gonetoyourhaed) | 7 comments I got a copy for $10 on Amazon, arriving on Tuesday! I've seen both versions of the movie and I can't wait to start reading.

Jennifer | 52 comments Let Me In is the name of the American remake film. Let The Right One In is the name of the original book and film.

I recommend the original film very much.

message 15: by D20 (new) - rated it 3 stars

D20 | 173 comments I haven't read this one before so it should be interesting. I've heard it's good.

message 16: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 17 comments Great book. Read it last year. Actually great movies too (both versions). It seems we all agree. There is such a sadness throughout. I remember having to read a Janet Evanovich or something afterwards.

Christy | 14 comments Jennifer wrote: "Let Me In is the name of the American remake film. Let The Right One In is the name of the original book and film.

I recommend the original film very much."

AGREED! I kind of wished the americans never touched it, so much was wrong...and the actress picked to play Eli....There's Hollywood for you!

Graeme Rodaughan I've seen both movies and I prefer the Swedish version. I also prefer the casting of the actors in the Swedish version.

The actress playing Eli does her role with real charisma for someone so young.

The actual story strikes me as an off the reservation love story.

But given the real age difference between Eli and Oskar I'm left wondering if Eli simply isn't looking for a replacement for the aging Hakan.

Graeme Rodaughan Apparently there is a sequel, which provides a resolution to the question of the relationship between Oscar and Eli.

Graeme Rodaughan "Let the old dreams die."

Kandice Graeme Rodaughan wrote: ""Let the old dreams die.""

I think that's a collection of short stories and only one is about Eli, but I still want to read it.

Graeme Rodaughan The one about Eli & Oscar, is the same as the title and occurs post the events of Let the right one in.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I can't find a copy of this anywhere for cheap :(

Jennifer | 52 comments How is everyone enjoying it so far? It's one of my favourite books.

message 25: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 6 comments I'm going to check my library for this...there wasn't one at the local bookstores. Anyone else starting it late?

Kandice Amy wrote: "I'm going to check my library for this...there wasn't one at the local bookstores. Anyone else starting it late?"

When I wanted to read it a few years ago it wasn't available at my local library or any of those near so I have to do an ILL.

Christy | 14 comments Jennifer wrote: "How is everyone enjoying it so far? It's one of my favourite books."

This had to be my favorite book of the year---and I've read over 118...

Christy | 14 comments Kandice wrote: "Christy wrote: "Who has gotten to the bathroom scene with Hakan yet?"

Disgusting! I have to say that one of the things I enjoyed (and feel weird using that word) is how despicable he wrote that ch..."

Yes...he's an amazing author.

message 29: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
Christy wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "How is everyone enjoying it so far? It's one of my favourite books."

This had to be my favorite book of the year---and I've read over 118..."

That says it all!

Graeme Rodaughan Christy wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "How is everyone enjoying it so far? It's one of my favourite books."

This had to be my favorite book of the year---and I've read over 118..."

Hi Christy, what did you love best about it?

Christy | 14 comments I have to day that I shred something here about WHERE I found a copy of this book. Apparently it was an illegal site....I had NO idea.....my gosh, please forgive my ignorance!!!!! I absolutely had no intention of doing anything illegal...or incurring anyone else to do so.....I'm crying too hard right now---I will be back to answer the question asked of me....when I regain some composure. Again---please forgive my ignorance, I had no idea.