Challenge Corner discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Archives! > An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir->October Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments The book of the month for October is An Ember in the Ashes. Please join the group in reading this book.

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments I've never read this summary before this and thought it was completely different from what it is. It kind of reminds me of the summary for (I think) The Winner's Curse? It's the book with Cestial.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments I will probably be reading this around the 18th.:)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Hope you enjoy, Jackie!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Great! Hope you enjoy!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I have barely started it but I can already feel this book is going to be good. Already lots of action!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Glad you're enjoying it, Colleen!

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Can't wait to start!!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Wow..I can see why The Empires army has deserters! They are absolutely horrible to these children aka killers in training to get them to be as ruthless as possible.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Just by the brief conversation Elias had with the Augur Cain, I have this feeling that the Augurs are not evil. They are not what everyone under The Empire thinks. I think anyways, will see.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I finished Part I, I'm going on to Part II.
I really feel bad for Laia. I don't think she knows what she got herself into.

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I was not a huge fan of Laia in this book.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I am really enjoying this book so far. I really like both of the main characters and I am looking forward to when they cross paths finally. I think Laia doesn't give herself enough credit, she is actually quite brave to be a spy for The Resistance and to be a slave under The Commandant. The Commandant is a soulless, cruel woman who I'm not even sure is human the way she acts. I really can't believe she even had a child, not surprised she abandoned it though.

message 14: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I did really like Elias. And I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I really like Elias too!
I'm at the part where he's at the first trial and it's not looking good for Helene because of her injury and he's doing everything he can for her. I just want him to kick the crap out of Marcus and Zak and win this thing!

message 16: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Ugh. Those two.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments This book is so emotional! I can't believe some of the things Laia has had to deal with already, only a couple of weeks in as The Commandants slave girl. OMG I hate that woman. Seriously this chick can't be human!!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Why didn't you like Laia Courtney?

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I don't remember what it was about her, exactly. I felt like she wasn't as believable. Maybe because she was so naive to begin with.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I could see that. I really like Elias character. I feel like he is going through a lot of internal turmoil. On one hand he was born a part of the evil Empire but he was raised differently until he was 6 years old so he knows what life is like beyond The Empire. And he is generally a good man but his has the blood of his grandfather who was a powerful mask and his crazy evil mother who is The Commandant. And I just want to drop kick this lady, I just can't believe how inhuman she is.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Started yesterday!!!!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Yay Jackie!! I bet you're going to like it!!

message 23: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I agree about Elias. And drop kicking the Commandant sounds like a good idea!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I haven't had a lot of time to read today so I only made it to Page 320 so far, hoping to get a bit more in.
I have to say Helene went from not sure if I really like her to she's not too bad. She earned some brownie points by helping Laia. I just can't believe it's OK for men to treat slave women as horribly as they do, but I guess this is a part of our real history as well and why I'm so enraged by it. That this was a reality.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments On page 101 now. So far, I'm not all that surprised by the twists.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Colleen wrote: "I finished Part I, I'm going on to Part II.
I really feel bad for Laia. I don't think she knows what she got herself into."

Yeah. (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Colleen wrote: "I am really enjoying this book so far. I really like both of the main characters and I am looking forward to when they cross paths finally. I think Laia doesn't give herself enough credit, she is a..."

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I finished Part I, I'm going on to Part II.
I really feel bad for Laia. I don't think she knows what she got herself into."

Yeah. [spoilers removed]"

I think you're right about who the traitors could be. I was thinking that too. And they are totally taking advantage of Laia. I bet they don't end up helping with her brother, something's not right with that.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I am really enjoying this book so far. I really like both of the main characters and I am looking forward to when they cross paths finally. I think Laia doesn't give herself enough ..."

Jackie wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I am really enjoying this book so far. I really like both of the main characters and I am looking forward to when they cross paths finally. I think Laia doesn't give herself enough ..."

That's probably why he is not a psychopath like her! I think there is a twist with who his dad is. Maybe not in this book but I think it's going to be a reveal for some reason.

message 30: by Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) (last edited Oct 22, 2016 10:27AM) (new) - added it

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm on Page 333 and and The Third Trial has just started. I have a bad feeling about this one.

****Spoiler****
They are all horrible but I think this one involves a test against his friends not with them, I think. We shall see!

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Can you put your comments under spoiler tags? <*spoiler*>text*spoiler*> without the *'s.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Can you put your comments under spoiler tags? text*spoiler*> without the *'s."

Ok Jackie I see what you were saying!! I learned something new. Thank You!! :)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm on Page 380 and the last Trial, The Trail of Loyalty is about to begin! I'm nervous to see who the winner is going to be!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Ok It's getting really good now!

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I finished!! I'm really liked this book. Can't wait to read the second one!!

message 36: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Glad you enjoyed it, Colleen!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Thanks Courtney! I really did! :)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Colleen wrote: "Ok It's getting really good now!"

I know! (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Colleen wrote: "I finished!! I'm really liked this book. Can't wait to read the second one!!"

Want to read it together?

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Colleen wrote: "I finished!! I'm really liked this book. Can't wait to read the second one!!"

Want to read it together?"

Yes, I would like that! Do you have the second one already?
I don't, but I'm going to see if I can find a copy through Overdrive today if not then I have to wait for library to open tomorrow.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I found a copy Jackie, so I'm ready whenever you are, just let me know when you want to start.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Same. Want to start tonight? I'll set a thread once I get to school.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Sounds good. :) I've only done a buddy read once and my buddy didn't end up participating so it was really just me, so I'm not sure how it works.
Do we designate chapters for each day or just read at will?

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments This would also qualify as one and we can read at will like we just did if you want.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Ok that will work. Have a good trip home Jackie! Hopefully you have entertainment that's a long drive. :)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Oh, I actually came back to school.:)I did; I listened to Hamilton twice. Creating the thread right now.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I meant school..sorry by brain fried, not enough sleep this weekend. :)

Ok I'm going to check in on thread. Thank You :)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments No problem.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.