Challenge Corner discussion

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
This topic is about A Torch Against the Night
Let's Buddy! - Fantasy > A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir - Starting October 23, 2016

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Elias and Laia are running for their lives. After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf—the Empire’s most secure and dangerous prison—to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars’ survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene—Elias’s former friend and the Empire’s newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus’s will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own—one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape…and kill them both.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Can't wait to start!:)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Me too Jackie! I'm going to start at 7 (10 your time) Don't think I can do a lot of reading tonight, I just got in and I still have laundry and some other fun household chores. I really hate cleaning up, I'd rather be reading, but I just have to persevere or my house would look like a pig pen..lol

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Are you able to start soon Jackie?

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Do you think this could be put in the supernatural category?

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Looks like I've finished all my homework for tonight so I might try and start it after my shower.:) Haha, I spent some time tidying up my dorm as well.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments That's funny we were on the same mindset to clean up! :)

I read 4 chapters, I think I will stop here for the night.
It started out really fast paced and picked up right where the first book left off, Laia and Elias on the run. And there is a surprising moment when Elias faces his mother, The Commandant, alone. I'm curious as to what this means.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Chapter 5: This is intense! Wonder what the price was.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Chapter 10: (view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I didn't get on at all yesterday, my son was sick. I'm going to try to get some reading done today. How is going for you Jackie?

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I finished 3 more chapters. I'm on Chapter 8 right now.
I still can't believe what an evil witch Elias has for a mother!!
I like how they put in Helenes POV as well, she is an interesting character.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Yeah, but I think I'd have liked the Commandant's pov a little better.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Oh she definitely would be interesting to get to know, and find out what makes her tick. She is an extremely smart but twisted woman!

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Now that you have me thinking about that, it would be a great addition to the third book Jackie, to have The Commandants POV! Hopefully the author will have the same smart idea. That would really liven up the series.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I'm about to continue on. Still on Chapter 8. I'm going to have to do some power reading soon!

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Chapter 11: (view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Chapter 10: [spoilers removed]"

I know it was surprising she has the gift to disappear, I think The Augurs know she has some kind of power that's why they wanted to save her. I bet Elias has a gift too.

message 18: by Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) (last edited Oct 26, 2016 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Chapter 10:

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Chapter 11: [spoilers removed]"

OMG that was so shocking. I'm thinking it might be!! Why else would she be so protective?

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Chapter 12:

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) (last edited Oct 26, 2016 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I made it to Chapter 17. I think I'm done for the night.

(view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Yeah, that's kind of why I do spoilers.:) Haha, now you're ahead of me. I should have time to catch up tonight--my plan is to read at least five chapters a day.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments That's a good plan Jackie.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Colleen: (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Chapter 29: (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Chapter 39: (view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Wow Jackie you made it far!

I just finished Chapter 18.
I don't think I like Afya Ara-Nur, maybe I will change my mind. I guess I can't fault her she is worried about her tribe, but I'm not sure I trust her.

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I just finished Chapter 21

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments I am still not anywhere near you Jackie!
I'm on Chapter 28 and I think I'm done for the night.

I don't think Harper is as bad as Helene thinks or just The Commandants spy, I get this feeling he is going to become important to her or at least a friend. What do you think?

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Colleen wrote: "I am still not anywhere near you Jackie!
I'm on Chapter 28 and I think I'm done for the night.

I don't think Harper is as bad as Helene thinks or just The Commandants spy, I get this feeling he ..."

Yeah, I definitely agree. I can't really make him out even now, but I definitely think he has a role to play.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Chapter 29: [spoilers removed]"

Seriously wasn't expecting that!! I had some tears in my eyes. I hope Laia gets her revenge.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Middle of Chapter 30

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Chapter 30

Stuff just went from bad to worse for Elias! Crap!!! :(

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Chapter 38

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Jackie wrote: "Chapter 39: [spoilers removed]"

I'm wondering what Helene is going to do when she gets to him!
I hate the Warden of Kauf about as much as The Commandant. They are both evil. I'm also wondering what question Harper needs answered. I knew he wasn't fully intent on spying for The Commandant.

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Chapter 41

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Just finished Chapter 41. And OMG!!!!!

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Chapter 45

I can usually tell where a book is leading, and there are some things in this book I already guessed, but there are some things that have absolutely shocked me while reading this book!

(view spoiler)

Colleen (On Semi Hiatus until Jan 23) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 964 comments Chapter 49:

(view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments (view spoiler)