Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for November 2016

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in November?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 6 comments Prince Arthur: The King who never was by Sean Cunningham

The sultan and the Queen by Jerry Brotton

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments The Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle

message 4: by Aled (new)

Aled Davies | 11 comments Hi group, I would like to nominate The Colours of Our Petals and The Armada.

message 5: by Skye (last edited Oct 02, 2016 06:03AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments We read Queen's Gambit last December, Stephanie.

Skye, Stormbird and Margaret of Anjou both look very early for this group. (They look right up the Plantagenet group's alley, though!)

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments All right, Susanna; I suspected that might be the case.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Anyone have any last minute nominations? I'll be starting a poll later today.

message 12: by Jasmine (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I will nominate How To Be a Tudor: A Dawn-to-Dusk Guide to Tudor Life by Ruth Goodman, and The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England, by Ian Mortimer.

And now I will go start a poll.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The poll is now open, either on the bottom of the group's home page, or through this link: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 21 comments Love the top two choices this time! However, did I see it correctly that Game of Queens doesn't arrive at Amazon until November 29?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Jackie wrote: "Love the top two choices this time! However, did I see it correctly that Game of Queens doesn't arrive at Amazon until November 29?"

Yes, from checking US and UK Amazons, it's out in the UK, and will be published in the US in November. This could be ... problematic for quite a lot of us.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 21 comments My sentiments exactly! :)

message 18: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:30PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Well, I could slot it in for December, and give November to whatever finishes second, I guess. Or give it both November and December? (In both cases if it's the winner, obviously.)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I have decided to give Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe, which was indeed the winner, both November and December.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments We will be discussing Game of Queens here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .