Start by marking “The Tudor Bride (Catherine de Valois, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Tudor Bride (Catherine de Valois, #2)

The Tudor Bride

(Catherine de Valois #2)

The thrilling sequel to The Agincourt Bride, and the story of Catherine de Valois - the French princess who became an English queen.

King Henry V’s new French Queen, Catherine, dazzles the crowds in England, blithely unaware of court undercurrents building against her. Her loyal companion, Guillamette, suspects conspiracies against her queen. But her warnings are ignored,
Published March 3rd 2015 by HarperCollins (first published January 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Tudor Bride, please sign up.
Emma Goodfellow Catherine of Valois was the progenitor of the Tudor dynasty. She married Owen Tudor, and her grandson was the Henry Tudor who later became Henry VII.
Joanna Hickson My niece read it aged 11 and loved it. Her Mother thought it fine for her to read. There is romance but no explicit sex or violence. I do hope your…moreMy niece read it aged 11 and loved it. Her Mother thought it fine for her to read. There is romance but no explicit sex or violence. I do hope your pre-teen enjoys it! Joanna (less)

Start your review of The Tudor Bride (Catherine de Valois, #2)
Orsolya
In the novel, “The Agincourt Bride”, author Johanna Hickson introduced readers to the early life of Catherine de Valois and her marriage to King Henry V of England. Catherine is back in “The Tudor Bride” living a life of intrigue with Henry and her coupling with Owen Tudor after Henry’s death which single-handedly starts the Tudor bloodline/dynasty.

As with “The Agincourt Bride”, “The Tudor Bride” is narrated through the eyes of ‘Mette’, the Keeper of the Gowns and lifelong maid/companion of
Robin
A sequel to The Agincourt Bride, about the latter portion of Catherine of Valois' life. It's as good as the first, and again written in first person from the point of view of Catherine's servant, Mette. It dragged a little bit in the middle, the beginning and end were much more eventful, but I suppose that was to be expected given that not much was going on in Catherine's world at the time. Still, it manages to hold your interest and the ending was moving.

I still think it might have been better
Christine
This is not a great book. There are problems with it. You know, the standard problems when you have Princess Perfect character, in this case Mette.

Yet, I have to say there is something enjoyable about reading it, and it isn't as guilt educing as saying you enjoyed reading The Other Boleyn Girl, a truly guilty pleasure read.

While some plot points make one raise an eye brow or two, it is quite clear that Hickson really enjoys the time period and her characters, in particular the story of Catherine
Bobbie
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Saga of the Tudor Bride

This is a great historical fiction as told by Mette , Catherine's friend, servant and companion. It's a story of suspense, love and intrigue. Check it out for a great read!
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't find this sequel to be as good as "The Agincourt Bride". The first novel really allowed us to get to know Katherine of Valois on a very human level, whereas within these pages she was somewhat lost. By distancing herself from her companion and former wet nurse, Mette, she became distant from the reader also, which was a shame as in the first novel her personality really shone through the pages. In this novel however it was Mette who glowed, which did a lot to improve the story in my ...more
Kate
This is historical fiction at its very finest and every bit as wonderful and mesmerising as its predecessor The Agincourt Bride. Characters both historic and fictional shine in this novel, each leaving their own mark, led by Catherine de Valois, Henry V's queen and widow, and her faithful servant and companion Mette. I cannot praise this superb novel enough, I only wish I hadn't finished it.

Elia Princess of Starfall
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of light historical fiction
Recommended to Elia Princess of Starfall by: Goodreads
So what did I think of the Tudor Bride?

description

Its safe to say that I greatly preferred the Tudor Bride to its predecessor The Agincourt Bride. Personally I found the Tudor Bride (TTB) to be better written, its characters more sympathetic and interesting, the plot more focused on historical fact. Overall I consider TTB to be a noted improvement over the Agincourt Bride (TAB) which, if you have seen my review on TAB, I found to be rather.....disappointing.

description

The Tudor Bride begins with Catherine of
Ann
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book about Henry V's queen and what happens to her after his death, this predates 'The White Queen' by Phillipa Gregory. I much prefer Joanna Hickson's writing, it was an interesting take on what must have been a very unusual marriage.
Lisa
Feb 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
It is unfortunate, perhaps, that I didn’t manage to pick this up immediately after I’d finished the preceding novel, The Agincourt Bride.

If I had, I probably would’ve enjoyed this a lot more. Even though I’d noted issues with The Agincourt Bride – thin characterisations, the tendency of the author to turn to vilification for some cheap drama – I didn’t know enough about the history to be properly put-off by the way Hickson deformed some historical figures. By the time I picked up The Tudor Bride
Emma
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Helen Drake
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Veronica
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a terrific book, the ending left me a little cold with the kidnap comspiracy, but the rest of it was stellar! I know it is a novel, with not a lot known about Catherine's death, so it worked out in the end. I read the First of the Tudors before this one, when I reread them ( and I will) I will do it in order and after the Tudor Crown is released.

Mette and her family were my favorite characters and had great depth, although her fanatical allegiance to Catherine was a bit extreme. I do
Donna J. Murray
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I was somewhat surprised to learn that this series is considered YA, but so was the Hunger Games and I loved that one, too. Hickson makes me laugh and cry, and as far as I'm concerned, that's what makes a book a 5 star. The characters are great, and the plot -- well, you can't beat history, can you?
Christine Cazeneuve
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it and so happy to have found a new author that I love. If you are a fan of Philippa Gregory, as I am, then you will love Joanna Hickson. She writes in the same style and I can't wait to order all her other books too. Fast read and learned a lot as I was not familiar with Queen Catherine.
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mette is still a perfect "Mette Sue", but The Tudor Bride was an improvement on its predecessor. Catherine de Valois' story is fascinating but tragic. This book shows us the years of happiness that I hope she had in real life. Owen may have also been a bit too perfect, but I'm not going to lie, my heart fluttered a little at his answers to Geoffrey Vintner's interrogation.
Ashley Hobgood
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this e-book because I had an interest in the Tudor period. I enjoyed reading this book because I learned more about King Henry V and Queen Catherine. I also loved the romance between Catherine of Valois and Owen Tudor after Henry V's death. I thought the novel was well written. It is a must read.
Susan Leona Fisher
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Continues Catherine de Valois's story following on from "Agincourt Bridge" and covers period 1421 to 1437 and her developing relationship with Owen Tudor, again all told through the eyes of Catherine's life-long servant Mette. Really like the way she weaves very well researched historical fact with her own imagination to make such a readable tale. Highly recommended.
Lori
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I felt like I had a vested interest in the lives of each of the characters. I laughed with them, cried with them, felt their pain, sadness and despair as well as shared their joy and happiness. Beautifully written, this book is a must read!
Heaven Claussen
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Great series
Marilyn
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written and absorbing story

It is one that is hard to put down. The characters are real people. A very suspenseful and exciting read.

Lisa Manke
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoying this series, second to the Agincourt Bride. Well researched, interesting and relevant.
Janice Bogen
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So interesting

Gripping historical novel. Had me from the beginning with complex intrigue and solid descriptions. Recommend to anyone who is interested in 15th century life
Jo Harrison
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tudor Bride is the sequel to. Agincourt Bride

If you enjoyed all of Sharon K Penman books you will enjoy

These. It was very informative. Eager to read her other two books.
Jill James
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent addition to the Tudor legacy. Great writing, lovely characters.
Barbara
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A light quick read for fans of Phillipa Gregory. This book is a fictional account of the short life of Catherine of de Valois, her even shorter marriage to Henry, and her subsequent love match with Owen Tudor.
Natasa
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Tudor Bride is a nice sequel to the Agincourt Bride. There is some interesting history to be learned, and the side story about Mette and Catherine's relationship, while fictional, adds depth to the book. Definitely a worthwhile read.
Teri Prince
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the two books.

It has been a while since I cried at the end of a book. This was a great story. I recommend it for historical buffs.
Elen
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-adult
For more reviews, visit A World of Reviews.

First off, that is one of the most spoiler-y summaries I have ever seen. Some of the things it mentions don’t happen until over half way through the book! Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. Having enjoyed the first book in the series a lot, I was really looking forward to reading this book. It didn’t disappoint. It was just as gripping as the first book, and so much happened! I can tell you, I was pretty much crying by the time I finished it, and that
Chet
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very smooth read

Joanna writes very well so the book is a joy to read. Sometimes the book seemed predictable, however I have read many books from this period and this is understandable.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 25, 2015 06:44AM

• MY FAIR LADY: A Story of Eleanor of Provence, Henry III's Lost Queen (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 1)
  • Shadow on the Crown (The Emma of Normandy Trilogy #1)
  • Owen (Tudor Trilogy, #1)
  • Mary: Tudor Princess (Brandon Trilogy, #1)
  • The Queen's Secret (Queens of England, #7)
  • The Winter Crown (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #2)
  • The Sixth Wife (Tudor Saga, #7)
  • The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England #4)
  • Shadow of Persephone (The Story of Catherine Howard Book 1)
  • Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World
  • Jasper (Tudor Trilogy, #2)
  • The Elizabeth Tudor Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy #2)
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
  • The Spanish Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon
  • Three Maids for a Crown
  • The Autumn Throne (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #3)
  • Templar Silks (William Marshal #6)
  • The Price of Blood (The Emma of Normandy Trilogy, #2)
Joanna Hickson became fascinated with history when she studied Shakespeare's history plays at school. However, having taken a degree in Politics and English she took up a career in broadcast journalism with the BBC, presenting and producing news, current affairs and arts programmes on both television and radio. Now she writes full time and has a contract with Harper Collins for three historical ...more

Catherine de Valois (2 books)
  • The Agincourt Bride (Catherine de Valois, #1)
“for her before she learns the news from any” 0 likes