The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE > APHRODITE'S 50 B0OKS READ IN 2016

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Iowa Aphrodite.........here is your new thread in 2016. Happy reading in the new year.

Our Required Format:

JANUARY

1. My Early Life, 1874-1904 by Winston S. Churchill by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill
Finish date: January 2016
Genre: (whatever genre the book happens to be)
Rating: A
Review: You can add text from a review you have written but no links to any review elsewhere even goodreads. And that is about it. Just make sure to number consecutively and just add the months.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 02, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

September

1. Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer by Jon Krakauer Jon Krakauer
Finish date: September 2016
Genre: Non-fiction, sports, games & entertainment (796.52)
Review: Krakauer tells the story of the tragedy on Mount Everest in 1996 that cost the lives of 6 people. He was a journalist on site and had completed his climb to the summit only minutes before a deadly storm hit the mountain.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 02, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

October

2. Collision Course The Classic Story of the Collision of the Andrea Doria & the Stockholm by Alvin Moscow by Alvin Moscow (No photo available)
Finish date: October 2016
Genre: Non-fiction, social problems & services (363.12)
Rating: B
Review: How the Stockholm and the Andrea Doria met in one of history's deadliest collisions. Given the fact that I'm a rabid consumer of nautical stories, it's surprising that this is the first account I've read of this wreck. I found the account informative but also a bit dry.

message 4: by Jill (last edited Oct 02, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Glad to see you got started on your new thread, IA, and you did a great job on your citations.......except for a couple of little nits. It is "finish date" as opposed to "finished date"; and if there is no author photo, just the author link is necessary, followed by (no photo), no avatar. You will get it down pat the next time.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, thanks, Jill! I was hoping for some feedback so I'd know. While I was updating my list of books read I noticed that I was wrong about the date I finished #1 -- so I changed it to September to reflect the right date.

Thanks again,

IA

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

3. Middlemarch by George Eliot by George Eliot George Eliot
Genre: Fiction
Rating: A+
Review: George Eliot has always seemed to be sadly overlooked and underappreciated. The woman was a genius, in my mind. She is a writer's writer. This is just my opinion, but if you consider yourself a writer and you don't LOVE George Eliot, stop writing now. Let go of the mouse and move away from the computer.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Love that review, IA.

BTW, it is not necessary to repeat the month at the top of the post except for the first book read in a particular month. It only needs to be there once in a month. Thanks.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Got it! Thanks, Jill!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

4. Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847 Prelude to Hatred by Thomas Gallagher by Thomas Gallagher (no photo available)
Finish Date: October 2016
Genre: Non-fiction, British Isles (941.5081)
Review: I've always wondered where the Irish hatred for the English originated. Maybe this book doesn't explain it all, but it certainly goes a long ways toward explaining the animosity. Silos sat full of corn, ready to be shipped to England, while the Irish peasant families starved. Suffering that painful leaves deep wounds. If you can read this book without tears, make an appointment with a cardiologist immediately. You may not have a heart.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave | 513 comments Iowa Aphrodite wrote: "4. Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847 Prelude to Hatred by Thomas Gallagher by Thomas Gallagher (no photo available)
Finish Date: October 2016
Genre: Non-fiction, British Isles (941.5..."

Sadly, it goes back even further than that, to the 1600s when England invaded and conquered Ireland. They considered the Irish savages, and even considered simply enslaving them. And the Irish have long memories.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the comment and the information, Dave. Is there any chance you could recommend a book that provides a more comprehensive history of Ireland? I'd love to get a hold of one!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Maisano (petitchevalier) | 112 comments deleted user wrote: "3. Middlemarch by George Eliot by George EliotGeorge Eliot
Genre: Fiction
Rating: A+
Review: George Eliot has always seemed to be sadly ov..."

I'm very curious to read the Eliot novel, thanx for the review

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.