Start by marking “Collision Course: The Classic Story of the Collision of the Andrea Doria & the Stockholm” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  322 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
How the Stockholm and the Andrea Doria met in one of history's deadliest collisions.
Published August 1st 2004 by Lyons Press (first published October 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Collision Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collision Course

Chris
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

I’m not sure when I first heard of the Andrea Doria. I think it was a series on the History Channel or National Geographic. There was some series about famous shipwrecks that was pretty awesome. That’s where I first heard about this accident that occurred in the 1950s.

The Andrea Doria was the ship of Italy. It was a flagship, a queen, an empress of the seas. She was the Titanic without the term “unsinkable” and the proper number of lifeboats. It sank hours after i
Dan
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was just 5 years old in 1956 whem my family returned from a trip to Denmark . We had traveled on the Stockholm and much to our surprize the ship had it's collision on it's very next trip between New York and Copenhagen. I've read this book several times and it's very hard to put down once you start.
Jim
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ws attracted to this story as I remember seeing pictures of the collision when I was young. It is a story of a tragedy that could have and should have been avoided. The author has updated the book with information about divers exploring the wreck of the Andre Dorea over the years.
Sharon Richardson
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Detailed account of a tragic story. Great read.
Melanie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Fascinating, especially knowing that the "Miracle Girl" is the sister-in-law of a dear friend.
Jim
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent read, on a par with Lord's "A Night to Remember".
Kater Cheek
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
If you're older than, say, 65, you might remember where you were when the Stockholm crashed into the Andrea Doria. I'm considerably younger than that, and had never heard of this boat crash, which apparently riveted the world in 1956. But I'm a sucker for maritime tragedies. I love seeing ordinary people turn into heroes, and I love reading about disasters I will likely never experience firsthand. (All the thrill of vicarious danger and none of the anxiety that I'm in danger of this happening to ...more
Emilio III
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The appeal of disaster stories lies in the details of the how and why but also in learning about the people who are affected. Who was at fault? What steps could have been taken to avert tragedy? What were the consequences? Alvin Moscow attempts to answer these questions in the book Collison Course, which tells the story of the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm, two passenger ships that collided off the coast of Nantucket on July 25, 1956.

The Stockholm was outbound from the United States and the And
Robin
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up way too late reading this riveting account. I had a copy from the library that was stamped 1965 so it was a great old hardcover with that old book smell that just added to the story.
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
True story of a collision of two ships - which often almost happens, or used to before global positioning and satellites and computers. Andrea Doria was the pride of Italy, while the Swedes were equally and justifiably proud of their own competence of boat building and navigating. The Swedish boat that Andrea Doria happened to ram into was in fact correct in its course and maneuvers when they realised they were too close while Andrea Doria turning towards land rather than as would have been corr ...more
Simon Sobo
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a novel

A rather heartbreaking incident in history has names and identities they might otherwise not have had. A great read about a fascinating subject.
Diane Moyle
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
As the title says, this is the original story of the collision of the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm with some additional updates. It is factual to the best of the author’s ability and all conversations and observations have been noted by passengers that were there. The additional added story is what has become of the Andrea Doria since her sinking, the attempts to recover her and also the dive attempts to salvage the riches and gems that were rumored to have gone down with the ship.

The author f
Nannette
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Collision Course: The Classic Story of the Collision of the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm was written by Alviin Moscow in 1959, just three years after the event. Over the years, the author has updated the book as new information became available. The latest edition is dated 2015 and includes information about the continuing efforts to explore the wreck.

The Andrea Doria was the definition in Italian elegance when she sailed between Geno, Italy and New York. She had made over one hundred crossing
Nancy
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a review. I have mixed feelings about this book. The subject matter was presented in a clear and interesting way, and I enjoyed the suspense leading up to the collision and the drama of the courtroom proceedings. This is a well-written book that, for the most part, has withstood the passing of time. I did not realize when I requested Collision Course, that this is a reprint of a book that has been updated many times, most rece ...more
SundayAtDusk
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-general
First published in the late 1950s, this is a crew-centered telling of the 1956 collision of the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm. By crew-centered, I mean it's more focused on the captains and the crews than on the passengers. Not that there is any shortage of attention on the passengers when the Andrea Doria is sinking; after it sank, however, the story mostly concentrates on the investigation of the collision, the insurance claims, settlement payments, and what happened to the captains and speci ...more
Betsy
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was first published in 1959 just a few years after the collision of the two vessels, but there are updates in this latest edition. It is a fast read and mostly interesting, but obviously technology had advanced considerably in the years since the ANDREA DORIA went down. The author covers the tense minutes leading to the collision between the STOCKHOLM and the ANDREA DORIA in great detail as well as the efforts to save the passengers aboard the great liner. What amazed me were how many ...more
Brooke
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know the story of the Titanic, but do you know about the Andrea Doria? "Collision Course" is a thrilling and detailed account of the Andrea Doria disaster, much in the vein of Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember." Chances are you've seen the Pulitzer Prize-winning photo of the Andrea Doria's end, but the story of how she collided with the Stockholm off the coast of Nantucket in 1956 is largely forgotten these days. Multiple human errors (some influenced by company pressure to arrive in port o ...more
Anne
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very engaging read, told from several perspectives. Having worked on cruise ships many years ago, I found the story absolutely enthralling. There were details about the ships that were so familiar, circumstances that made me feel sorry for the officers involved, and then actions that made me cringe, and even angry. Of course, I worked at a time when we had many, many safety drills, so the actions of some crew members were bewildering to me.

I could have done without some of the updates at the
Cary Lackey
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although the first edition of this book was written only 3 years after the 1956 collision and sinking of the Andrea Doria, the book holds up very well as a riveting and detailed account of the collision itself aboard both ships, the rescues and tragedies experienced by its survivors, and the aftermath.

I especially liked the updated chapters on the salvage and scuba diving experiences on the wreck.

This is a white knuckled account, and it is just the kind of book that I love: one that's hard to p
Becca Tyler
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the early sixties when I was a young teenager, we lived in a small town that barely had a library. I resorted to reading my father's Readers Digest Condensed books. One of them was Collision Course.

I've thought about it for over 50 years and finally decided to read it again. I enjoyed the second read at least as much as the first. Moscow presents the facts without speculation as to what people were thinking,etc. resulting in an interesting read.

I wish more nonfiction writers would realize t
Robin Nugent
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I've been so obsessed with a book! I would consider this book one of the top 10 (or even one of the top five) books I have read in my entire life. And I've been reading since John F. Kennedy was President!
In addition to a very interesting subject, the author is an excellent writer, and is easy to read.
Out of 5 stars, I would give this book 10 stars!!!!!
Mike
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fog disaster

This appears to be an accurate accounting of this tragic event. It takes you hour by hour through what led up to the collision through the eyes of the survivors. The book also depicts the post collision dives to the wreck at 250 plus feet and 47 degree temps. All in all it was a good read.
giftedteacher
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This true story is a compelling tale of disaster, and one of the best books that I have read recently. You can feel the implacable might of the sea, the desperation of the passengers and crewmen, and the vagaries of fate that ended in survival or death. I highly recommend it!

I received this book as an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Janet
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History Buffs, Advernture Readers
Collision Course is a very detailed somewhat dry account of the tragic sea collision in 1956 between the luxurious Italian Liner Andrea Doria and the Stockholm. Illustrations and photos give this book the fourth star.

Ron Camp
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
An in depth and very interesting look at the sinking of the Andrea Doria, including the aftermath and the trial. A book filled with facts and detail..
Rob Roy
Aug 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, nautical
The sinking of the Andra Doria was still fresh in my mind, having seen the sinking on the news.
Ben Ross
Jun 26, 2017
Karl A. Bohnhoff
Dec 01, 2016
Janet
Nov 07, 2017
Kit Llamaschek
May 17, 2016
  • Savage Sky: Life and Death on a Bomber Over Germany in 1944 (Stackpole Military History Series) [Kindle Edition]
  • Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman
  • 20 Hours, 40 Min:  Our Flight in the Friendship
  • Amelia Earhart: A Biography
  • Inside the Titanic: A Giant Cutaway Book
  • Ghosts Of The Abyss: A Journey Into The Heart Of The Titanic
  • Patton and Rommel: Men of War in the Twentieth Century
  • The Only Way to Cross: The Golden Era of the Great Atlantic Liners - From the Mauretania to the France and the Queen Elizabeth 2
  • A Piece of My Heart: The Stories of 26 American Women Who Served in Vietnam
  • Hen Frigates
  • The Mousetrap
  • Plain Speaking: an Oral Biography of Harry S Truman
  • Strictly G.I.: The WWII Letters of Cpl.Wanda M. Renn
  • Everyday Life in Early America (The Everyday Life in America series)
  • Molly Brown: Unraveling the Myth
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
“From the senior officer down to the lowest and newest pantry boy, each crewman reflected the Scandinavian concept of rigid devotion to duty and work. The company cared for the welfare of the crew” 0 likes