TuesBookTalk discussion

Oct 2016 - Salem's Lot > Reading Schedule and Discussion

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (True Book Addict) Miller (truebookaddict) | 165 comments Mod
My edition of the book is the Doubleday edition, 1975 (original publishing date). Hardcover, 439 pages.

Oct. 4: pp 1 - 111 (stop before 10)
Oct. 11: pp 111 - 218
Oct. 18: pp 219 (Chapter Ten) - 328
Oct. 25: pp 329 - 439 (end)

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon McGee (ConfuzzledBooks) | 8 comments I just bought my copy and started reading. I haven't read King in a while so looking forward to it. :)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Shannon wrote: "I just bought my copy and started reading. I haven't read King in a while so looking forward to it. :)"

Glad to have you joining us, Shannon!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Week One discussion (from Gather Together and Read site):

Note: If you have not completely read section one through subchapter 10 in Chapter 4 of Part One, please note that there are spoilers ahead.

Subtlety. That's how I would describe how King sets up a story. He goes about showing us how normal a town is, throwing in bits of alarming details, like the savage hanging of the dog on the cemetery gate, slowly building us toward the horror to come. It's masterful.

It's at that point, when we feel nice and settled in, perhaps part of the town now, that he throws us the scene with the Glick boys in the woods. Now we really get the master of horror. Yikes. The growing terror is palpable and the hairs are standing up on the back of my neck. The scene in the cellar, when Hank Peters has to go back down to leave the keys...and sees a shirt, jeans, a sneaker, and then one of the aluminum bands comes loose on the big box. Egads!

I have been a fan of Stephen King since I was about ten years old. Oddly, I read a lot of his books as they were released, like Pet Sematary, Cujo, Christine, etc., and did not read these older books until I was past my thirties. I read The Shining a few years back. Excellent. The Stand, also excellent. Now this one. And I can tell already...excellent.

This is the perfect read for this time of year. I can't wait to keep going. I know I've seen both editions of the made for TV movies, but these often do not compare to the book (although the 1979 version was quite creepy. My parents wouldn't even let me watch it when it was first aired. I saw it years later).

So, what are your thoughts so far?

http://www.gathertogetherread.com

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Just downloaded the book. Now I need to catch up after
Frightful Fall.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Carol wrote: "Just downloaded the book. Now I need to catch up after
Frightful Fall."

Great! You'll be able to catch up. :-)

message 7: by Nádia (new)

Nádia Batista (eu_e_o_bam) I was looking for trailers of Salem's Lot, trying to decide which adaptation to see. Turns out, I got major spoilers :( Nooooooooo!

message 8: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 13 comments My thoughts on the first discussion post are on my blog:

http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.ca/2...

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon McGee (ConfuzzledBooks) | 8 comments I am just catching up. Ack! I had really hoped to have read this on the read a thon but to much real life came up.

I am enjoying the book so far. It's been a while since I have read King. I read Dark Half, Christine, and some short stories.

Michelle I think your right about how King introduces us to the town and makes as feel part of it and then BAM...town has some skeletons or demons.

I have only seen parts of both movie versions so I really do not know much about what is going to happen.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Weeks 2 and 3 discussion (from Gather Together and Read site):

Note: If you have not completely read sections 2 {pp 111 (Ch. 4, section 10 in Part one) - 218 (end of Ch. 9 in Part two)} and 3 {pp 219 (Chapter Ten - in Part two) - 328 (part three, Ch. 14, before section 4)}, please note that there are spoilers ahead.

I fell way behind on this read-along and I apologize. I hope I'm not the only one! So, this post will cover sections 2 and 3 (see above). I will have the final discussion posted on Halloween (Oct. 31). What better day, I say!?

I'm just going to start off by saying...Wow! That part when Matt and Susan are talking in his kitchen and he says, "There's someone upstairs" and then "I know my house...someone is in the guest bedroom..." Well, I started getting this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. Then, when he goes upstairs and discovers Mike. Egads! That was probably the scariest part of the book for me so far. Whew! My skin was crawling with fear.

I've mentioned that I've seen both television mini-series based on this book. The 1979 version which starred David Soul, and the 2004 version starring Rob Lowe. Previously, these were the only point of reference I had for this story...and I thought them pretty scary, especially the 1979 version. Not anymore. These two TV films do not hold a candle to this book. So, again, the book is better. As if we didn't know!

Things really escalated in these two sections. People are dropping like flies, And Kurt Barlow. Did anyone else envision him as a Dracula-like figure? Totally! I just think the name "Kurt Barlow" is so weird. And I guess Straker is a kind of Renfield character, but a more tough, less sniveling one. Thank you for that, SK. I never could stand the Renfield character, to be honest. (I'm listening to Dracula on audio right now).

The facepalm moment for me was when Susan decides to go to the Marsten House...alone. What a dummy. She is so set on proving her independence (my opinion) that she takes it to the ultimate limit, and it costs her life. But I guess it's kind of the theme of vampire novels (or at least Dracula-esque stories). There has to be a woman who is tragically lost to the vampire.

So, those are my thoughts this week? What did you think? Are you enjoying the book as much as I am?

message 11: by Darlene (last edited Oct 30, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Darlene | 13 comments Here's my blog post on the 2nd/3rd Discussion:

http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com/...

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Spooky read thinking about these vampires once
neighbors calling to those unturned to invite them
into there places with such alluring voices.
I really got grossed out when the dog was found
impaled on the fence gate. I do not like when animals
get hurt especially like this dog did. Though it was an
indication of the horror to come.
I was also upset by the abusing mother of the
McDougall baby both before and after his death.
Another scene that gave me shivers was when Dr
Cody decide to take things in his own hands and
fell on the knives then the mess when Ben pulled out
the knives.
I did love the creepy, old Marsten House. Would love
to visit it..of course I need to take a crucifix , some holy
water and a couple stakes with me.
Will post my wrap up and review tomorrow. Looking
forward to re-reading Dracula in the near future as it
has been 50+ years since first read and it mentions
the book several times.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol My review
Spooky, scary, deadly living in the small town of
Jerusalem's Lot in southern Maine. Most of the
town's people have lived there for years. They know
everybody in town and the town holds no secrets.
Ben Mears spent his childhood there and is returning
after 25 years away to face the haunting of past
demons. He needs to return to the creepy, old
Marston House where his nightmares began.
The Marston House is the sign of the evil and
corruption in the town. Although their are two new
owners of the house, Richard Straker and Kurt
Barlow, his absent partner, the dark lineage continues
to engulf the town in the form of the return of vampires.
This is the first Stephen King I have read. It was well
written, captivating the reader. The characters were
vivid and uniquely place within the plot. The story hit
on social issues such as child abuse, betrayal, spying,
malicious gossip, resentment
Thrills, chills, drama, mystery and suspense draw the
reader into the story.

message 14: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 13 comments Here is the link to my blog post for the Final Discussion:

http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.ca/2...

unread topics | mark unread