Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

35 views
Books of the Month Nominations > What book should we read for August????

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damon, ZARDOZ (last edited Aug 01, 2016 10:59PM) (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
What books do people want to read in September? I was thinking about Island by Aldous Huxley.


message 2: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I think I'd like to suggest two books - The Sky Road and Hunter's Run. This is partly because I've got both books but also because I really liked MacLeod's The Night Sessions and want to read more by him. The other book is by Game of Thrones author, George R.R. Martin, writing with long-time sci-fi anthology editor, Gardner Dozois, and Daniel Abraham. Both books are also shorter reads than some of the door-stoppers we've been reading lately.


message 3: by CiCi (new)

CiCi Vandenmeiracker | 2 comments Culmination

Culmination is a thrilling read, a real page-turner, but there are some scenes you'd never expect and will not be for everyone (gore factor). I loved it and didn't expect to, honestly! I also liked the lack of errors (spelling, grammar, etc...) and am assuming it's because Culmination was published by a small press and likely went through many rounds of editing. If you are looking for "unexpected," Culmination is your book!


message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2 comments The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson...this book speaks to the depths of me and is a must read


message 5: by PSXtreme (last edited Aug 03, 2016 06:18AM) (new)

PSXtreme Is this the August reading suggestion (per the title) or the Sept read list (per OP)?

Either way...Sometime this month I plan on getting to We in book form and starting the WWII Alternate Timeline series Hitler's War on audio once I finish my current selections.

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (A page-turning SF adventure, a masterpiece of wit and black humor that accurately predicted the horrors of Stalinism, WE is a classic dystopian novel. Its message of hope and warning is as timely at the end of the twentieth century as it was at the beginning.)

Hitler's War (The War That Came Early, #1) by Harry Turtledove (A novel that reveals the human face of war while simultaneously riding the twists and turns that make up the great acts of history, Hitler's War is the beginning of an exciting new alternate history saga. Here is a tale of powerful leaders and ordinary people, of spies, soldiers, and traitors, of the shifting alliances that draw some together while tearing others apart. At once authoritative, brilliantly imaginative, and hugely entertaining, Hitler's War captures the beginning of a very different World War II—with a very different fate for our world today.)


message 6: by Donna Rae (new)

Donna Rae Jones | 115 comments How about something a bit different: The City & the City by China Miéville?


message 7: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Barry wrote: "The Artificial Man - L.P. Davies
I came across some worn paperbacks in the loft that I had left in a box following a move. Davies was a master at lost-memory pyschology and placing characters in un..."


Intriguing. The Artificial Man was written in 1965 yet it is set in 2016 - seems like the most appropriate year to read it then! (Reminds me of my young self reading Orwell's Nineteen-eightyfour in 1984!)


message 8: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Aug 03, 2016 09:37AM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Reading through all the posts so far I like all of the suggestions! I wonder which will prove the most popular (taking into account that there may be further suggestions over the next few days)?

And yes, PSXtreme, the group read is for August, although I guess it will extend into the first week of September. :)


message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments How about Dark Matter, Blake Crouch. Haven't read it but looks interesting.


message 10: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Yey! Been wanting to read The City & the City Donna! =) You have my nomination for that one. =P Unfortunately, I was very busy this month with my dissertation defense so I am still about to finish Leviathan Wakes and will still start reading The Gods Themselves and hopefully finish it in a week or two. Lots of interesting suggestions this month so I think I'll pass with mine. =)


message 11: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "How about Dark Matter, Blake Crouch. Haven't read it but looks interesting."

Another good suggestion - I added this book to my TBR list last month (but don't have a copy yet).

Marvin wrote: "Yey! Been wanting to read The City & the City Donna! =) You have my nomination for that one. =P Unfortunately, I was very busy this month with my dissertation defense so I am still a..."

Good luck with your thesis defence, Marvin!


message 12: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Thanks Greg! :-) Finally got my PhD in physics last week! :-)


message 13: by Donna Rae (new)

Donna Rae Jones | 115 comments Marvin wrote: "Thanks Greg! :-) Finally got my PhD in physics last week! :-)"

Congratulations, Marvin! Well done!


message 14: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Doherty | 3 comments Wow, all these sound amazing! Could I maybe throw my own book into the ring? It's a lesbian science fiction book, with lots of action.

Finding Hekate
Mia Foley is running away from the attack that changed her life. She’s captain of a new spaceship when the Acedians find her and try blasting her peaceful crew from the black. She must sever her bonds in order to run, again. But she’s grown fond of this crew, particularly Cassidy Gates. Staying with them will jeopardize their safety, and they have much closer fears than the Acedian hunters. Mia’s time is running out. She’s becoming one of them.

(If this is illegal, I'm sorry! Feel free to take it down. Just thought I'd put it out there.)


message 15: by PSXtreme (new)

PSXtreme Kellie wrote: "Finding Hekate"
I'm adding this to my list of attempting to acquire via my local library, even though I don't d/l text versions. Let us know if/when the audio version appears and I'll be sure to make the same effort for that version. I only get to d/l the audio versions of new books where I'm at...we don't have any bookstores within a decent driving distance out here in the sticks...


message 16: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Marvin wrote: "Thanks Greg! :-) Finally got my PhD in physics last week! :-)"

Congratulations Marvin! Planning on converting your thesis into a published book or does the thought make you want to run away, screaming? :P


message 17: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Kellie wrote: "Wow, all these sound amazing! Could I maybe throw my own book into the ring? It's a lesbian science fiction book, with lots of action.

Finding Hekate
Mia Foley is running away from..."


Hi Kellie - your suggestion is as valid as any of the others as it is essentially science fiction with a romantic aspect to it! Nothing 'illegal' about it at all! :)

PSXtreme wrote: "Kellie wrote: "Finding Hekate"
I'm adding this to my list of attempting to acquire via my local library, even though I don't d/l text versions. Let us know if/when the audio version..."


Living in the sticks has its advantages but no bookshops within a reasonable driving distance? Eek! Do you order print books online for postal delivery?


message 18: by PSXtreme (new)

PSXtreme Greg wrote: Do you order print books online for postal delivery?."

We tried doing that with Amazon a while back, but they work w/ 3rd party businesses and we had our "identity" stolen somewhere along the path...(everything was cap protected, so no real damage was done) so no more doing that.

I borrow most of my "new" books via online audiobook d/ling from the local library, but I already have about 1400 hard copy books back in my personal library, most of which have been there for decades without being read, to keep me occupied. I've recently been working on titles that I bought back in 1989 and haven't read yet and working forward from that point.


message 19: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Greg wrote: "Marvin wrote: "Thanks Greg! :-) Finally got my PhD in physics last week! :-)"

Congratulations Marvin! Planning on converting your thesis into a published book or does the thought make you want to ..."


Haha. Actually had part of my dissertation published here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/... since our university requires a peer-reviewed publication based on the dissertation before you can defend it. =)


message 20: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
PSXtreme wrote: "We tried doing that with Amazon a while back, but they work w/ 3rd party businesses and we had our "identity" stolen somewhere along the path...(everything was cap protected, so no real damage was done) so no more doing that."

That doesn't found but at least the damage was very limited.

PSXtreme wrote: "I borrow most of my "new" books via online audiobook d/ling from the local library, but I already have about 1400 hard copy books back in my personal library, most of which have been there for decades without being read, to keep me occupied. I've recently been working on titles that I bought back in 1989 and haven't read yet and working forward from that point."

I haven't tried audio books yet. I know some people who have busy lives and the best way for them to 'read' is to listen to an audiobook while driving to/from work. It's something I'd like to try out at some stage to see what I'm missing. But the audio books will have to compete with my music CDs!

I've also read some books bought (or received as gifts) back in the late '80s or early '90s in recent years - must be a middle-aged habit!


message 21: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Aug 09, 2016 02:35PM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Marvin wrote: "Greg wrote: "Marvin wrote: "Thanks Greg! :-) Finally got my PhD in physics last week! :-)"

Congratulations Marvin! Planning on converting your thesis into a published book or does the thought make..."


Congrats on getting part of your thesis work published in the Annals of Physics! I'm guessing E. A. Galapon was your supervisor? I wonder how many group members will have a grasp of the conditions for mixtures of maximally entangled pure states remaining entangled? :P


message 22: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 16 comments Greg wrote: "I haven't tried audio books yet. I know some people who have busy lives and the best way for them to 'read' is to listen to an audiobook while driving to/from work. It's something I'd like to try out at some stage to see what I'm missing."

I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but not because I have a busy life, necessarily. I just can't easily read text while driving, walking/jogging, working out, doing the dishes, vacuuming the apartment, and a lot of other things! I always have (at least) one text book and one audiobook in progress, so I can always get some reading in regardless of what I'm doing. (Or sometimes they're the same book, with Whispersync for Voice.)

Greg wrote: "But the audio books will have to compete with my music CDs!"

Why would you listen to music while you could listen to audiobooks?! I listen to music at work, and in a couple of other situations where I can't devote almost all my attention to what I'm listening to, but I prefer reading.

Not to put you down or anything though. I listened to my first audiobook a year ago, so I recently discovered the medium myself. But allow me to be condescending and tell you that you don't know what you're missing ;)


message 23: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Tobias wrote: "Greg wrote: "I haven't tried audio books yet. I know some people who have busy lives and the best way for them to 'read' is to listen to an audiobook while driving to/from work. It's something I'd ..."

LOL Thanks, Tobias! Actually, a college classmate of mine always had his head buried in a book - while walking to and from different classrooms, whilst taking out his notepad and pen from his book bag in class, seemingly throughout the class.... So I imagine it's possible to read text while doing other things. Of course, in his case, it might simply have been his way of not making eye contact with anybody - he might not have actually been reading. :/


message 24: by PSXtreme (new)

PSXtreme You simply load them on your iPod/mp3 player and take them with you...


message 25: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Aug 09, 2016 12:47PM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
PSXtreme wrote: "You simply load them on your iPod/mp3 player and take them with you..."

Apart from my iphone and pad I'm still using '90s technology for my music! :P The same would go for audiobooks too.


message 26: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I have set up a poll to start just after midnight tonight (Greenwich Meantime - London, UK) - so in just a little over 3 hours' time. the poll can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1....


message 27: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Greg wrote: "Marvin wrote: "Greg wrote: "Marvin wrote: "Thanks Greg! :-) Finally got my PhD in physics last week! :-)"

Congratulations Marvin! Planning on converting your thesis into a published book or does t..."


Yup, Dr. Eric Galapon is my adviser. His specialty is actually on the nature of time in quantum mechanics. =) I hope some here have heard at least the concept of "entanglement", which is just Einstein's "spooky action-at-distance". =) Now Greg, that question actually got me thinking as to what everyone's background is? I.e., their profession or what they do in life. More importantly, what made them love science fiction in the first place? Personally, you can see right away where I'm coming from since I love science and math as a kid so one would think that loving science fiction as a genre was almost natural. However, to be honest, I just started reading sci-fi during my graduate years. When I was in high school, I only exclusively read detective fiction (lots of Sherlock Holmes and its pastiches!) then in college, my interest shifted to entirely classic (especially short stories!) and Philippine literature. Now, I only read sci-fi! Haha. =)


back to top