Lovers of Paranormal discussion

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
This topic is about Storm Front
Previous BOTM threads > *CULT READ* Storm Front by Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files #1)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (last edited Aug 01, 2016 08:08PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) | 795 comments Mod

Greetings Lovers of Paranormal!

This is our *CULT READ* for August, a time when many of us wish to languish on the beach and reminisce about a favorite story.

Many of you have read the book series. Others caught the tragically short-lived series on television on SciFi channel.

Do you have the Dresden Files series starter? If not, why not grab it from your local library?

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Jim Butcher

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name...

ARE YOU READING STORM FRONT? Shout it out in the discussion thread below, tell us whether you first came into the universe through the book or the television series, scrounge up the book (it's everywhere!), and read along with us.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
LoP BOTM / R2R-MOD

message 2: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 29 comments This book has been on my TBR list since 2013, so I am going to give it a go. I didn't realise that there was a TV series, but I have read lots of positive reviews about this series.

Graeme Rodaughan Okay - I'm in. Just got the Kindle version.

Shervin Jamali | 5 comments I prefer Butcher's Codex Alera series, but I have read the first two books in the Dresden Files.
Furies of Calderon
Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1) by Jim Butcher

Latasha (latasha513) I'm going to try to find this & join in. I'm checking the libraries first.

message 6: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (new)

I actually came into the universe through the television series because I am a rabid Battlestar Galactica fan, and also a rabid Farscape fan, and Stargate SG-1 fan, so when they cast Claudia Black (Farscape, Stargate SG-1) in a minor role in this series, which was showing in the hour before BSG, I just -had- to watch it.

Now I've got to scrounge up my book. I think I loaned it out to somebody. Might have to do an emergency run to the local library :-)

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Macfie I've read both series, but hugely prefer the Dresden Files. The comedic element and Butcher's storyline has me going back for more. My husband and I fight over whose going to read the book first (I always win).

Christie (christineocheallaigh) | 32 comments Our library only carries Butcher's Dresden series, and I've read every one of them. Love this series! I don't remember which one it was now, it might have been the last one, but I loved finally finding out where he got his "dog Latin" phrase "Flickum bicus" from, and why he uses "Fuego" for fire (by the way, his "foster dad"/mentor was a total jackwagon). I think my favorite scene out of any book was when they were facing down Nick in front of Michael's house, and Butters pulls out the sword fragment to defend himself with. For whoever hasn't read it I won't give it away, but it was the most hilarious scene ever (in retrospect at least), once you realize what happened. Dresden telling Murphy about it later (she was unconcscious at the time I believe, so she didn't get to see it happen) and her reaction was priceless! :D

Latasha (latasha513) I'm going to pick this book up tomorrow. if I don't read an actual, physical book every month or so, I just don't feel right. luckily, a nearby library has this one.

Latasha (latasha513) I went to pick this book up today and sometime between yesterday evening and this morning someone checked it out! so I'm waiting. i'll be a little late to this one.

Latasha (latasha513) I'm beginning to think there is someone in my area that's in the same clubs as me because this isn't the first time this has happened. :p

Graeme Rodaughan Just finished Rise of the Trekken (The Blood War Chronicles, #1) by John Milton - so I have now cleared the decks for this August Read of Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher which I have on my kindle (on my PC cause I like a nice big screen...)

Looking forward to getting into it.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Macfie I have all of Butcher's books with the exception of Storm Front now because I had leant it out to a friend and she never returned it. I have let some of my high school students borrow some of my books and they treat them with more respect and return them in a timely manner always, but my friends never do. I don't lend to friends any longer. I have to purchase Storm Front again to complete the series on my shelf.,

Latasha (latasha513) I hear you Melissa! If I love a book enough to buy it, I won't lend it to anyone (but my mom). eBooks- I don't mind so much cause the return is automatic.

message 15: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (last edited Aug 07, 2016 09:01PM) (new)

I prefer to buy my books. It drives my husband nuts (he'd rather borrow them from the library). But I rarely have time to finish them on time, so I like to keep books tucked into various spots (car, purse, laptop bag, favorite chair, etc.) on the off chance I get a few minutes to sneak another chapter of one of them :-)

Christie (christineocheallaigh) | 32 comments 99% of the time, buying is not an option for me, so if I can't find a free download of the ebook somewhere, I have to check it out from my library. Otherwise, I would have so many books, there wouldn't be room for anything else...who am I kidding, the cats would have them torn up/eaten if I had that many hard copy books lying around, yet another reason I have thousands of ebooks on my Kindle app and only about a hundred (maybe) in hard copy format around the upstairs, most of them on a set of metal shelves that I can't seem to convince the cats is not a good place to lay (they like knocking my books and other items off the shelves). :-P

Latasha (latasha513) I don't buy as many as I use to do to space. If I read a book & really, really love it then I buy it.

Graeme Rodaughan I'm 22% of the way in on the Kindle version. Pretty good so far, essentially a private eye story with supernatural elements.

Harry has a certain droll style of humour, which, no doubt, is necessary to cope with the drastic circumstances of his life and work.

Being a detective - there are mysteries for Harry to solve. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Graeme Rodaughan I pretty much buy any book that I'm reading and I mostly read for fun.

I haven't used a library since University, I source most of my information from the internet.

A big chunk of my reading is -- work -- related...

Graeme Rodaughan 44% if the way in and a vampire has arrived on scene and has some interesting quirks. Lots of detective work - but will he get the results he needs on multiple fronts on time?

Still to find out.

Graeme Rodaughan Finished.

Jim Butcher has delivered a very interesting and nuanced character in the Wizard/PI Harry Dresden whose world is populated by a host (actually more of a menagerie without a keeper) of weird, strange and wonderful characters.

The narrative is strong with this one, although predictable in spots, is often surprising and in the end dealt with a spiritual confrontation within Harry that lifted the story up another notch.

It is precisely the climax and resolution of this story that lifts it from 4 to 5 stars.

The story will suit those who enjoy their action (and there is lots of action) levened with a healthy dose of dry, ironic, wit.

I expect to read more of Jim Butcher and Harry Dresden.

Latasha (latasha513) That sounds great! I'm still waiting. There is 1 person ahead of me :(

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Latasha, I glad that you showed up on this thread. I was beginning to wonder if maybe I needed a bath or something...

Latasha (latasha513) Lol nooo! I've been reading your comments but I don't have anything to add just yet.

Latasha (latasha513) yes!! I got it! i'll start listening tomorrow. I'm working a 12 hr shift so I should take a chunk out of it :)

message 26: by Anna, LoP BOTM & R2R mod (new)

[*sniff, sniff...*]

Nope! It's not you :-) It's the long summer reading waiting list at the library now that the kiddos are out of school!

Latasha (latasha513) I had to work a long shift today so I managed to listen to the whole book in 1 day!!! I did like it although it's nothing new. Wizard/ witch p.i. If Harry Dresden was he-man, rachel Morgan would be she-ra. Lol :p if y'all decided to read the others in the series, I'd probably join in but I doubt if I'd continue on my own. Maybe...if have to see what each one was about.

Christie (christineocheallaigh) | 32 comments Uh huh, and Harry Dresden was first. :P Storm Front was first published in 2000, Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan #1) was published in 2004. I love both series, actually, although I need to find the latest Dresden book and still need to read the last two Rachel Morgan books, I never can get them read before they have to be returned, even in ebook format. I check too many out at once is what it is, then never make my way through them all before the time expires. And the Dresden books get better as they go along. Someone else who's read the books correct me if I'm wrong, because my memory really sucks, but I believe in Skin Game (#15) we find out just when he started using "Fuego" and "Flickum Bicus" (as part of his backstory, told in flashback about his teen years). You definitely don't want to miss out on eventually getting to read that, parts of it are hilarious!

Latasha (latasha513) yeah I thought he was around wayyy before she was. I love Rachel morgan but that series is way to long.

Karen (karenarrowood) | 12 comments I enjoyed this book :-) (I was fortunate to be able to borrow it from my library through Overdrive)