The Sword and Laser discussion

Please help, listeners with good memories! What was that book/author....

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Hey fellow S&L listeners, I need your help finding a book/author mentioned on the podcast some time ago (probably in 2014?). There was a time when within a short span Sword and Laser interviewed three different people who either had out or were working on books with Angel Detectives. One was Tad Williams (Bobby Dollar series), one was Ian Tregillis (Something More Than Night), and then there was a third which completely escapes me. I can remember in the actual interview Tom and Veronica joking about it was strange that such a niche subgenre actually seemed to be taking off, and maybe there was speculation that angels were the new zombies/vampires. But that's it. I know that Neil Gaiman wrote an angel detective story a while back, but that wasn't it-- this third author's angel detective book hadn't come out yet. And Gregory Wilson's interview is close to Tregillis', and the title mentions angels, but that's not it either.

Anyone remember this?

message 2: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 179 comments Could it be Michael R. Underwood or Seanan McGuire?

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments Maybe try the episode guide on the wiki? http://swordandlaser.wikia.com/wiki/E... I'm on my phone so can't look too much.

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Joyce wrote: "Could it be Michael R. Underwood or Seanan McGuire?"

after googling it doesn't look like either of those, but I'll relisten to their interviews tomorrow to be certain.

terpkristin wrote: "maybe try the episode guide?"

Thanks, I've poked around that and I haven't been able to find much.

Also: Maybe it wasn't an interview, but an announcement of a third series in the quick burns? Argh, if only I had drank more caffeine as a child and developed better neurons for recall!

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments "Angels are the new vampires" is something Anne Rice said when her new angel-focused book came out. I haven't read them, but aren't the Mortal Instruments books about angels?

message 6: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 179 comments the only other I can think of is by Susan Ee Angelfall but I don't think they interviewed her. By the way a great book. If it helps we read the Bobby Dollar book in 2012. So I looked around my books added around then because it sounds like I would like it.

message 7: by ladymurmur (last edited Aug 02, 2016 06:12PM) (new)

ladymurmur | 150 comments Possibly Thomas E. Sniegoski's Remy Chandler series?
A Kiss Before the Apocalypse

(I didn't listen to the podcast in question, but when you mentioned "angel detectives", this was the series that came to mind.)

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments That may be it. Timing is a bit off. Regardless I'll read anything that explicitly nerds out on Chandler and has angels in it, so it's added to my to-read list!

message 9: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1721 comments Mod
For some reason I feel like it was Adam Christopher. But I can't figure out which book it would have been.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (meesabax) | 5 comments For some reason my first thought was Chuck Wendig's Blackbird series... Sorta kinda...

message 11: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Oh you know what, I bet it was Adam Christopher, and either a joke or a planned novel that never came to pass. Angel detectives seem like they'd be very him. Will try to listen and confirm!

Thanks to everyone for the help (and Veronica and Tom for boosting this question on the podcast!)

message 12: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments Confirmed. It's Episode 166 at around 13 minutes. They start talking about Ian Tregillis and V jokes that he should write an angel/noir book. https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (meesabax) | 5 comments Phew! Mystery solved. Perhaps if we all pester him, he'd write an angel noir :)

message 14: by Rob (last edited Aug 04, 2016 06:20PM) (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments I was back in my office by five. It'd been a case with as many turns as a lost millenial playing Pokemon Go while driving. As dangerous too. And now that it was finally closed, I wondered if it was worth it. Turns out that what I was looking for? It didn't even exist. All I'd done was proven I'd gotten old. I'd forgotten things. I'd warped them to fit my own twisted narrative. I pored myself a slug and didn't bother to taste it as it went down, then left my office again to go home. It was late.

The streets were darker with something more than night.

(that's to say, thanks guys for the help, though it unfortunately led to a nonexistent novel!!)

message 15: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Rob Secundus wrote: " I was back in my office by five. It'd been a case with as many turns as a lost millenial playing Pokemon Go while driving. As dangerous too. And now that it was finally closed, I wondered if it wa..."

That was a particular kind of wonderful. Thanks for that. Glad to have some closure on the mystery!

message 16: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4213 comments God fuck Rob S but you can write. Get some of that prose into at least a short story and shop it! Plenty of "Open Call" Facebook pages with listings, or just check the Grinder.

message 17: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Aww shucks!

To be clear, that last line isn't me, it's my favorite Chandler quote (also used by Ian Tregellis in the title of his angel detective book).

I do need to be more proactive with the Grinder though.