Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > August 2016 Group Read Winner - Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Here's the thread for this month's winning read.
Please use spoilers.
Enjoy!

message 2: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments I plan on reading this, but it will probably be closer to the middle of the month before I get to it.

I haven't read anything else by Tremblay, so I'm interested to see what his writing is like.

message 3: by Jody (new)

Jody | 0 comments Looking forward to reading this. I've never read anything by this author. I will get to it asap. I have many books on the go already haha.. enjoy all

message 4: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha  | -3 comments Looking forward to reading this. I'm just about finished with my current book and then I will be staring this one.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments For those who haven't read Tremblay before, I thought A Headful of Ghosts was much better than this one, so if you end up not being impressed with Disappearance at Devil's Rock, don't write him off just yet.

message 6: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3303 comments Mod
I'll be starting on this book sometime this week. I've seen mixed reviews for it but I still want to read it.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6331 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "For those who haven't read Tremblay before, I thought A Headful of Ghosts was much better than this one, so if you end up not being impressed with Disappearance at Devil's Rock, don't write him off..."

I wasn't overly impressed with that one, so I'm hoping this one will strike me as better executed.....
Either way, ordered from the library, and it should be here early this week. :)

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11132 comments Mod
i'll be here. I've read a headful of ghost by this author.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments I wasn't impressed with Head Full of Ghosts. Was even less impressed with this, sorry to say.

message 10: by Jody (new)

Jody | 0 comments hahaha.. I totally forgot I had a Library card until Kimberly mentioned it. I ordered it.. #2 on wait list here at my library.

Thanks Kimberly

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Jody wrote: "hahaha.. I totally forgot I had a Library card until Kimberly mentioned it. I ordered it.. #2 on wait list here at my library.

Thanks Kimberly"

No problem! (I often forget that, myself--but since I was mid-way on the last one, I thought I'd better save the money up front this time....)

message 12: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha  | -3 comments I started reading Disappearance at Devil's Rock yesterday. So far I like it. I really like how the boys' point of view actually sounds like teenage boys, their lingo, word choice, and interests are spot on.

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'll give this one a whirl. I reserved it at my library; was surprised they had it.

message 14: by William (new)

William Harvey | 11 comments A Head Full of Ghosts is one of my all time favorite novels, horror or otherwise. I've been excited for DADR since I first learned it was being published. About 100 pages in but so far it's proving a little less compelling than AHFofG. Hoping it picks up. He's a great write, nontheless!

message 15: by Char (new)

Char  | 16720 comments Mod
I was one of the few that wasn't all that crazy about A Head Full of Ghosts. However, I really dug DADR.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Charlene wrote: "I was one of the few that wasn't all that crazy about A Head Full of Ghosts. However, I really dug DADR."

That bodes well for me! I thought AHFOG a 3*, but the premise of this one sounds very promising. :)

message 17: by Dani (new)

Dani (reiser3357) | 39 comments Probably going to start this one over the weekend. Looking forward to it!

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Tabitha wrote: "I started reading Disappearance at Devil's Rock yesterday. So far I like it. I really like how the boys' point of view actually sounds like teenage boys, their lingo, word choice, a..."

I found myself comparing it to Netflix's Stranger Things, which I thought did a much better job.

message 19: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha  | -3 comments Michael wrote: "Tabitha wrote: "I started reading Disappearance at Devil's Rock yesterday. So far I like it. I really like how the boys' point of view actually sounds like teenage boys, their lingo..."

I've been hearing a lot about this show. I got rid of Netflix awhile ago...just didn't feel the need for it with cable and on demand and such. The more I hear about this show though is really tempting me to get it back.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments We just finished Stranger Things last night and loved it.

message 21: by Rob (new)

Rob Sharp | 73 comments So glad this won, I'll be on this next, jsut finishing Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Tressa wrote: "We just finished Stranger Things last night and loved it."

It's funny how much Devil's Rock has in common with Stranger Things: group of kids, a disappearance in the woods, some strange creature stalking them.

But sadly I thought ST better in most every respect than this book.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hmmm. I'll have to see just how similar they are. Sometimes if plots are too similar I just don't have any interest in experiencing it again so close together.

message 24: by Char (last edited Aug 03, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

Char  | 16720 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Tabitha wrote: "I started reading Disappearance at Devil's Rock yesterday. So far I like it. I really like how the boys' point of view actually sounds like teenage boys, their lingo..."

I read the book before I saw the show-and I'm kind of glad about that. Stranger Things was top notch, IMO.

message 25: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1951 comments I am about halfway through with this one; and not really liking it. I think I had expectations of creepiness and I am only getting a mystery. I may have set myself and this book, up for failure.

So far, it is a 3 because of the story and what this family is going through with Tommy's disappearance.

I am really hoping for a twist. :/

message 26: by WendyB (new)

At 25%.... Not bad but I have to agree with other comments here about it having some resemblance to Stranger Things. The book is a very pale shadow of it though, and I'd probably enjoy the book more if I wasn't watching the similar but much better tv show.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 144 comments Alondra wrote: "I am about halfway through with this one; and not really liking it. I think I had expectations of creepiness and I am only getting a mystery. I may have set myself and this book, up for failure.

..."
Don't hope too hard! LOL~

message 28: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1951 comments Michael wrote: "..."Don't hope too hard! LOL~ ..."

Oh, goodness.... thanks, I think. LOL

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

I just got my copy today, and haven't watched STRANGER THINGS, so I'm hoping this one doesn't disappoint! :)

message 30: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1951 comments Kimberly wrote: "I just got my copy today, and haven't watched STRANGER THINGS, so I'm hoping this one doesn't disappoint! :)"

I hope it is more enjoyable for you. Will be looking at your updates.

message 31: by WendyB (new)

Finished today. Disappointed. Just not much story there. It might have worked as a short story as so much of it was repetitive and could have been cut out. Didn't like the last page and the way the story was ended.
Two stars.

message 32: by Dani (new)

Dani (reiser3357) | 39 comments Just started late last night. Hope I'm not disappointed too. :(

message 33: by Kimberly (new)

I started--and finished--tonight. I felt it was a very well written and compelling read. (I was one of the few that wasn't thrilled with Head Full of Ghosts, and felt that the writing just "flowed" better in this one).
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Dani (new)

Dani (reiser3357) | 39 comments Just finished. It wasn't that I didn't like the writing, it just wasn't a great read for the horror genre. Noticed a bunch of people mentioned a show, so gonna check that out. I will say that I was disappointed with the ending. Maybe if I was expecting a YA read, I could give it more than 2 stars. Oh well...

message 35: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator | 92 comments Deborah wrote: "For those who haven't read Tremblay before, I thought A Headful of Ghosts was much better than this one, so if you end up not being impressed with Disappearance at Devil's Rock, don't write him off..."

I agree Deborah! I did like this one but didn't think it was as smart or scary as A Head Full of Ghosts. But then nothing scares me more than possession stories so...

message 36: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator | 92 comments Aside from the touches of the supernatural, I agree that it isn't a perfect fit with the horror genre, because it's more moody than scary. (view spoiler)

I felt the author did a great job with the voices of the teen boys, though, especially the diary entries.

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Crowinator wrote: "Aside from the touches of the supernatural, I agree that it isn't a perfect fit with the horror genre, because it's more moody than scary. [spoilers removed]

I felt the author did a great job with..."

I agree--the boys were very well characterized, and I could actually envision much of this one.

message 38: by Latasha (new)

I have extra credits at audible so I'm going to listen to this one. i'll start one day next week.

message 39: by Dani (new)

Dani (reiser3357) | 39 comments Kimberly wrote: "Crowinator wrote: "Aside from the touches of the supernatural, I agree that it isn't a perfect fit with the horror genre, because it's more moody than scary. [spoilers removed]

I felt the author d..."

Yea, I didn't think about it like that. Great point!

message 40: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1951 comments I just finished this a few hours ago; and realize that I hadn't thought about it since.

It was okay and I gave it 3.5 Stars, but will probably change it to 3. I gave this rating after getting over the disappointment of this book not being what it was advertised as... "psychological suspense and supernatural horror." Once I realized that I was only getting a mystery as to why this boy disappeared, it became a little better.

This is one time where honest reviews could come in handy. Good luck

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Alondra wrote: "I just finished this a few hours ago; and realize that I hadn't thought about it since.

It was okay and I gave it 3.5 Stars, but will probably change it to 3. I gave this rating after getting ove..."

I agree about the description being misleading...I went into this after reading several great reviews that pointed out it was NOT "horror" but more mystery/suspense. I think that's why I was able to enjoy it as it was.

message 42: by Nate (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 147 comments I didn't even realize this was the group read. I started this Saturday morning and finished last night...and what's even funnier is I finished Stranger Things Friday night.

Of course I had to cast Winona Ryder as Elizabeth after just watching her play the mother of a missing boy. She killed it in this role as well, lol!

I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed this story on all levels. I felt the plot was on a pitch-perfect pace, the writing was beautiful, character development was incredible, and the ambiguous nature of events (supernatural or not) was the icing on the cake.

I didn't feel any negative aspects of following this with Stranger Things, which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

It likely helped that I wasn't going into this in the framework of the HA group read of the month, so I was following the story outside of genre expectations.

One last note, I really liked A Head Full of Ghosts, but I feel the Disappearance at Devil's rock supplanted that as my favorite read of the summer. I'm definitely going to be picking up the remainder of Tremblay's work. He feels like a breath of fresh air to me.

message 43: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1951 comments Kimberly wrote: "I agree about the description being misleading...I went into this after reading several great reviews that pointed out it was NOT "horror" but more mystery/suspense. I think that's why I was able to enjoy it as it was. ..."

I usually don't read reviews right before reading a book; but it definitely would have helped.

I did end up enjoying it more mid-way through. I think Elizabeth's reactions were honest, IMO. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Latasha (new)

I'm not very far into this but so far it's ok.

message 45: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha  | -3 comments Almost finished with this one. So far I'm still enjoying this read. I like the characters. They are written like true life people. We'll see how the end turns out.

message 46: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1951 comments Tabitha wrote: "Almost finished with this one. So far I'm still enjoying this read. I like the characters. They are written like true life people. We'll see how the end turns out."

I agree. Elizabeth had that conversation with herself, like most parents; saying how they would react if there was a sudden loss/disappearance with one of her kids....and then reality hit. She had a gut reaction that she did not expect; but she remained true to her feelings. I think so.

message 47: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha  | -3 comments Alondra wrote: "Tabitha wrote: "Almost finished with this one. So far I'm still enjoying this read. I like the characters. They are written like true life people. We'll see how the end turns out."

I agree. Elizab..."

Yup and I think all the characters were like that. The Elizabeth interacted with her mom, Janice, Kate's reactions throughout the book, along with Luis and Josh. I actually finished it last night. Though I wouldn't classify it really as a horror book, it was still well written and a good read.

message 48: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments Kimberly wrote: "I agree about the description being misleading...I went into this after reading several great reviews that pointed out it was NOT "horror" but more mystery/suspense. I think that's why I was able to enjoy it as it was. "

Good to know. I'll have to keep this in mind and approach it as more of a mystery than horror. Kind of a bummer since I'm really in the mood for horror right now;-).

message 49: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1951 comments Tabitha wrote: "Yup and I think all the characters were like that. The Elizabeth interacted with her mom, Janice, Kate's reactions throughout the book, along with Luis and Josh. I actually finished it last night...."

Definitely not horror. Really good mystery, though.

message 50: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Just picked my copy up at the library. I'm another fan of Stranger Things. Will be interesting to compare the two.

« previous 1