Read 100+ Books in 2016 discussion

August Challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Wow! The year is flying. I'm busier now than when I worked full time. Well, on to the topics.

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with R.
2. School will soon be starting so read a book set in a school.
3. The dog days of summer are coming so read a book set in the summer.
4. Read a book that won an award.
5. It's winter south of the equator so read a book set in a country south of the equator.
6. The Olympics are starting this week so read a book about an Olympic sport.
7. Read a 20th Century classic.
8. Read a book about politics.
9. Your choice

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 04, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

Rachel Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2) by Jenn McKinlay -Jenn McKinlay 8-1-16
I really loved this cozy mystery. It was well written and entertaining, and the characters were well drawn. I am loving this series.

Book, Line, and Sinker by Jenn McKinlay -Jenn McKinlay 8-1-16
I really loved this cozy mystery. It was well written and entertaining, and the characters were well drawn. I am loving this series.

Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4) by Jenn McKinlay -Jenn McKinlay 8-1-16

On Borrowed Time (Library Lover's Mystery #5) by Jenn McKinlay -Jenn McKinlay 8-2-16

A Likely Story (Library Lover's Mystery, #6) by Jenn McKinlay -Jenn McKinlay 8-2-16

Knit the Season (Friday Night Knitting Club, #3) by Kate Jacobs -Kate Jacobs 8-3-16
This was an interesting book mainly about women learning to live life together. It deals with relationships, single motherhood, and business upkeep, and above all with people who knit (or not) together on Friday nights. The book was well written, and the characters were well drawn, and moreover, I liked this novel the most out of the series as it was the happiest.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2) by Jenn McKinlay-Jenn McKinlay 8-1-16

[bookcove..."

I like Jen McKinlay. She's good.

message 4: by Sheila (last edited Aug 28, 2016 07:03PM) (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Well, here's my August reads:

8/9, 20 books

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with R--Survivor in Death by J. D. Robb--finished 8/6/16.
2. School will soon be starting so read a book set in a school--Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J, K. Rowling--finished 8/15/16.
3. The dog days of summer are coming so read a book set in the summer--Guestward Ho! by Patrick Dennis and Barbara Hooton--finished 8/13/16.
4. Read a book that won an award--A Bell for Adano by John Hersey--finished 8/5/16.
5. It's winter south of the equator so read a book set in a country south of the equator--Maid for the Rock Star by Demelza Carlton--finished 8/25/16.
6. The Olympics are starting this week so read a book about an Olympic sport--The Summer Games: Out of Bounds by R. S. Grey--finished 8/28/16.
7. Read a 20th Century classic--Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut--finished 8/24/16.
9. Your choice--French Lessons by Ellen Sussman--finished 8/2/16

Bonus:
Turned into A Bimbo--Ava Sterling
My Wicked Duke--Madeline Hunter--finished 8/10/16
Five Minutes Late--Rich Amooi--finished 8/15/16
The Rare Earth Exchange--Bernard Besson--finished 8/18/16
Craving My Best Friend's Father--Ava Sterling--finished 8/18/16
Barefoot at Sunset--Roxanne St. Clair--finished 8/19/16
Such a Dance--Kate McMurray--finished 8/20/16
Dummies Guide to French Mysteries and Thrillers...Wine, Food, and Good Books--LeFrench Books--finished 8/20/16
Pennies--Pepper Winters--finished 8/22/16
The Coincidence of Coconut Cake--Amy E. Reichert--finished 8/24/16
The Gangster's Kiss--Ginger Ring--finished 8/27/16
Hidden Design: The Prophecy--Tia Tolmen and CK Stone--finished 8/27/16
Beta Read--finished 8/27/16

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Year of Wonders A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks -Geraldine Brooks 8-5-16
This was a well written and interesting novel about a village that shut itself apart from everyone until the plague had run its course there so that they wouldn't spread it to others. It wasn't a completely enjoyable book, however, since I found some elements of the plot to be rather disturbing and odd. I also had some issues with how some of the characters were revealed to be rather disturbed themselves by the end of the novel. Overall, this was a 3 star book.

Lucky Stiff (Lucky O'Toole #2) by Deborah Coonts -Deborah Coonts 8-7-16
This was an interesting and fun mystery, but it's not for everyone because there is a great deal of focus on sexual desire, innuendo, and the act itself. I thought it was written fairly well, and the characters are well drawn. I especially liked how well the protagonist's back story is explained throughout the course of the novel. Overall, I rather liked this second book in the Lucky O'Toole series and will likely read more of them eventually.

Still Life with Breadcrumbs by Anna Quindlen -Anna Quindlen 8-8-16
This was a decently well written novel with several interesting characters. I did have several issues with the book, which I suppose you could call a gentle romance, beginning with the fact that the plot didn't flow together nearly as well as I would have liked. Another issue I had was that a great deal was made about the fact that Rebecca, an aging artist who was losing popularity, was now "poor" and having a lot of money troubles, but let's just say that the author's idea of poverty and mine are completely different. Anyway though, it was a good, relaxing book to read, so 3 stars.

Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver -Lauren Oliver 8-8-16
This was a well-written and thought-provoking YA dystopian novel with a few interesting and full characters, especially the protagonist and how she develops from a "sheep" to a rebel against her society's views. The action gets pretty intense towards the end, and I really want to know what happens next in the series.

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Aug 23, 2016 10:59AM) (new)

Rachel Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov -Vladimir Nabokov 8-12-16
Because of the concept behind this book, I was expecting it to be much more graphically descriptive than it was; in comparison to many contemporary secular romances, this novel was actually rather clean and tasteful. Despite how much I disliked the plot itself, I found the book to be well written and the characters to be well developed. However, I would definitely say that if Humbert were less well spoken--his prose is actually beautiful, and he includes many French phrases in his highly educated discourse--that he would be a much more disturbing character than he appears as he is. Anyway, I'm glad to have read it at least once, as it was rather thought-provoking.

Turning Angel (Penn Cage #2) by Greg Iles -Greg Iles 8-13-16
As was the case with the first novel of this series, The Quiet Game, I found this to be an interesting mystery/suspense novel full of political and legal intrigue. It wasn't quite as action-packed as the first book, but I still really enjoyed the plot and found the characters to be well drawn. However, the idea that several teenage girls "fell in love" with men twice their age and that one of them, the one who ended up murdered, was involved in a serious "love" affair with a significantly older man who is in fact her doctor, a married man who she babysits for, and that her mom knew about their relationship was quite disturbing; I will admit that it added a deeper level of thought-provoking intrigue to the novel though.

The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman, #2) by Graeme Simsion -Graeme Simsion 8-14-16
This is the sequel to The Rosie Project, and as was the case with the first book, I loved this novel about how a socially inept, likely Aspergian, professor learns to accept and prepare for fatherhood since his relatively new wife is pregnant. The book also deals with how a lack of communication and understanding can lead to serious issues in a marriage. Anyway, the book was brilliantly written and was often quite humorous as well; in addition, its characters are very well drawn, but I didn't love it as much as the first novel.

Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2) by Lucy Arlington -Lucy Arlington 8-14-16
This was an entertaining cozy mystery with several interesting characters and scenarios. I found the book to be fairly well written with a rather unique plot.

Books, Cooks, and Crooks (Novel Idea, #3) by Lucy Arlington -Lucy Arlington 8-15-16
This was an entertaining cozy mystery with several interesting characters and scenarios. I found the book to be fairly well written with a rather unique plot.

Played by the Book (Novel Idea, #4) by Lucy Arlington -Lucy Arlington 8-16-16

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov-Vladimir Nabokov 8-12-16
Because of the concept behind this book, I was expecting it to be much more graphically descriptive than it was; in comparison to many contemporary..."

When I read Lolita I had to have the dictionary next to me because Nabokov used obscure meanings to words. He was a great writer. English was his 4th or 5th language. I think if he wrote it today it would be a lot more graphic. It is a novel to make you think.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Off the Books (Novel Idea, #5) by Lucy Arlington -Lucy Arlington 8-17-16

Asperger Syndrome The OASIS Guide, Revised Third Edition Advice, Inspiration, Insight, and Hope, from Early Intervention to Adulthood by Patricia Romanowski Bashe -Patricia Romanowski Bashe 8-18-16
Because this book is long and requires a lot of mental concentration, I varied chapters of it with fiction, which is why it took me months to finish it. The book is written well and is insightful except that it is written for the parents of children with Asperger's, so I could only keep thinking about things that might have helped me while I was still in grade school but that are too late to be of any benefit to me now; however, the book still helped me gain a bit more self-insight, which is always a good thing.

The X-Factor (Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers, #30; Galaxy X, #3) by Franklin W. Dixon -Franklin W. Dixon 8-19-16
This was a fun and fast action-packed mystery meant for children, which is why it was also a simple, easy read. Anyhow, even though this book is quite late in the Hardy Boys series and is actually the final part of a 3-book story within the larger series, it stood on its own quite well.

A Passion Denied (Daughters of Boston, #3) by Julie Lessman -Julie Lessman 8-20-16
This is the third book in the Daughters of Boston series, and I liked it a lot more than the first novel in the series, A Passion Most Pure. In fact, I think this novel might be my favorite out of the series. It is written well and the characters continue to be revealed and to grow and mature in various ways. I really liked how this story turned out, but I was still disappointed in how many loose ends there still are at the end of this last book of the series. In any case, this ended up being a thought-provoking series, and I'm glad I decided to stick with it even after being disappointed with the first book.

Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8) by L.M. Montgomery -L.M. Montgomery 8-22-16
With each reread of this series, I enjoy it more. However, from the 5th book in the series on, the books begin to tell the stories from other characters' viewpoints in addition to Anne's, so they have a different feel from those about her childhood and early young adulthood; in fact, in this 8th and final book in the series, Anne is entirely on the sidelines as a character, and the vast majority of the time the point-of-view is that of Rilla, Anne's youngest child. This last novel of the series is also quite a bit darker and sadder because World War I is a major component of the novel, and Anne's family is deeply affected by its existence. I still like the novel a lot despite its more serious nature though.

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Rachel August

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with R.
A Stranger's Wish-Gayle Roper 8-24-16
2. School will soon be starting so read a book set in a school.
3. The dog days of summer are coming so read a book set in the summer.
Book, Line and Sinker-Jenn McKinlay 8-1-16
4. Read a book that won an award.
Year of Wonders-Geraldine Brooks 8-5-16 (ALA Alex Award 2002)
5. It's winter south of the equator so read a book set in a country south of the equator.
6. The Olympics are starting this week so read a book about an Olympic sport.
7. Read a 20th Century classic.
Lolita-Vladimir Nabokov 8-12-16
9. Your choice

message 10: by Sheila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:45AM) (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
I have two books to recommend. One is The Rare Earth Exchange by Bernard Besson. It's a geopolitical murder mystery. What I liked about it was it was written from the French point-of-view. That's not a side you hear much about. The storytelling was good. I had a hard time putting it down. The Rare Earth Exchange by Bernard Besson

The second book is The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert. It's a romance but it is also about life, loss, pain, hurt, and people. The characters are well drawn in this book. I read it in one setting I was so engrossed in the story. I didn't put it down. The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Crimson Cord Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #1) by Jill Eileen Smith -Jill Eileen Smith 8-24-16
This was a well written and interesting fictional expansion of Rahab's story. I really liked how the author developed the characters and the plot.

A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1) by Gayle Roper -Gayle Roper 8-24-16
This was a well written and fairly entertaining novel about faith and choices contrasting the lives of Kristie, a Christian Englisher, and the Amish family she boards with. The characters were well drawn and interesting. There was also a fun element of suspense in the plot, but I thought the romance in it got serious way too quickly for the amount of time that the couple had spent together, which is why I only gave the novel 3 stars.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling -J.K. Rowling 8-26-16
This first book felt a little juvenile in comparison to many of the others, but this does make sense in light of the fact that the characters are only eleven. It is pretty fun though. I really like the Harry Potter series since not only are the books well written and full of well drawn and interesting characters, they are also full of good values and lessons.

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman -M.L. Stedman 8-28-16
This was a fairly interesting novel about life and choices. The characters were well drawn, and the book was well written, but many aspects of the novel were either sad or made me annoyed, so it was a 3 star book for me.

Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery, #2) by Lorna Barrett -Lorna Barrett 8-28-16
This was a fun and well written cozy mystery with great characters. I flew through this second book of the series and look forward to reading more of it.

Cake on a Hot Tin Roof by Jacklyn Brady -Jacklyn Brady 8-29-16
This was a fairly well written and entertaining cozy mystery with well drawn characters. I actually enjoyed this second novel of the series more than I did the first one, and I look forward to reading more of the series.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Big Sky Country (Parable, Montana, #1) by Linda Lael Miller -Linda Lael Miller 8-30-16
This was a well written and interesting contemporary romance novel with well drawn characters. I really liked the development between the various characters throughout the plot.

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
I love the Booktown Mystery series. Rachel wrote: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling-J.K. Rowling 8-26-16
This first book felt a little juvenile in comparison to many of the others, but this does make sense in light of the ..."

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
I haven't read her in a long time.
Rachel wrote: "Big Sky Country (Parable, Montana, #1) by Linda Lael Miller-Linda Lael Miller 8-30-16
This was a well written and interesting contemporary romance novel with well drawn characters. I really liked the development between ..."

message 16: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Since Goodreads changed its home page I have not been able to copy and paste or add to my posts or comment below your comments. If anyone knows the solution let me know.

Let me also finish my August list:

8/9, 22 books

Little Beach Street Bakery--Jenny Colgan--finished 8/30/16
A Gentleman Never Tells--Eloisa James--finished 8/30/16