Start by marking “Bookmarked for Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bookmarked for Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)

Bookmarked for Death

(Booktown Mystery #2)

What do a stone book and a stabbed cake have to do with Zoë Carter's death?

Once a struggling town, Stoneham, New Hampshire is now enjoying a renaissance--thanks to booksellers like Tricia Miles, proprietor of Haven’t Got a Clue. It’s a great place to find a good mystery to read--or to solve ….

To celebrate her bookstore’s anniversary, Tricia Miles hosts a book signing for b
Published February 3rd 2009 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published January 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bookmarked for Death, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Judy Zell
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Bookmarked for Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
Mary Bird
Jun 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book was disappointing, mainly due to the contrast between the first and this.

My main point of contention was with the heroine, Tricia. In addition to having absolutely no personality, she's far too efficient for any believability. She has money to do whatever she wants, gives all her employees bonuses, has the guts to talk to everyone, she doesn't like sweets in a convenient move to keep her thin and perky. She's blah. Boring.

Her boyfriend is also boring, and rather unlikable. I'm not quit
Glen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies, mystery
After a best selling author returns home for a book signing, and announces her retirement, she is killed in the washroom. The primary suspect is the author's niece, who prevails upon our local amatuer sleuth to clear her name.

So she pokes around and finds all kinds of small town secrets.

Not bad, but not very memorable.
Yvonne
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a long time since I visited Booktown in Stoneham, New Hampshire. It’s a whole town with all different types of bookstores. This is the second book in the Booktown Mystery series.

Tricia Miles owns Haven’t Got A Clue which specializes in mystery books. She’s very excited to be hosting a booksigning with popular author Zoe Carter. However, things don’t go over very well when she discovers the author has been murdered in the store’s bathroom.

The local sheriff is not a fan of Tricia’s and c
Kay
I was really looking forward to book 2 since I found the first in series enjoyable. Bookmarked For Death ended up being a slight disappointment with MC being just too perfect and the overall story didn't hold my interest as the first.
T K Nelson
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies
I did get through the book so it gets more than one star. That being said, let's start with what came thiiiiis close to having me put this one down and not finish.
1) No Reason to Like Tricia. Love the premise of a town brought back from the economic brink by turning it into a destination Book Town. A series set in a mystery bookstore? Should be a guaranteed bull's eye for cozy readers. But the author gives me no reason to like almost anyone especially the main character. I think maybe she's supp
Mayda
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Tricia is having a book signing with an author who had hailed from their small town. But things don’t go so well, at least not for the author, who is found murdered in the bookstore’s bathroom. Tricia, of course, feels compelled to sleuth out who committed the heinous act, but doesn’t exactly deduce correctly who the killer is, in spite of the clues she uncovers. This fast paced tale will delight and amuse you.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, put-on-site
I remember not being wholly impressed with the first one, but that's changed in the sequel.

It's a delight to have the town be bookish theme, although it's dialed back a bit in this one. Tricia has to stay away from her store after a murder takes place, woe is her, and the menace of the sheriff has been further enhanced. Small town, incompetent police force? Check.

Character wise it works. Tricia is flawed but fun, her boyfriend isn't typical and ideal, her sister is moody and downright mean half
Chris
Oct 07, 2018 marked it as contemplating-its-sins  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2018, done, mystery
I only made it about five pages before deciding I didn't care at all and set it aside.
Michelle Randall
Bookmarked for Death is the second book in the Booktown Mystery Series by Lorna Barrett. I loved the first book, and this second one did not disappoint me at all. I enjoyed reconnecting with Tricia and her sister, Angelica, coming back to Stoneham, or otherwise known as Booktown.

Tricia owns and runs a mystery bookstore called "Haven't got a Clue", while her sister owns and runs the bookstore next door called, "The Cookery". Although Tricia and Angelica haven't had the greatest of relationships,
Suzanne
This book again drew me in because of the people. And to me they are people not characters. They have depth and personality and at times made me forget they were only on paper and I wanted to smack them on the back of the head and say " are you dense" mainly to Angie, Tricia's (MC) sister. That being said, the town of Stoneham, New Hampshire would be the perfect place for any of us. A small quiet town where the main tourist attraction is the specialty book stores. And the Victorian facades.

Of co
Robin Campbell
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Are you kidding me? I was hoping I had found another light hearted mystery series but this was not a fun read. I wanted to strangle both of the sisters if they had half a brain between them they'd be dangerous. Tricia has herself convinced she is better than her sister but she is not. They are both selfish and small people. It's almost like Tricia is one of those people who has to let you know how "rich" she is. It doesn't bring anything to the story this bit about her Lexus or the fact she does ...more
Cheryl
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliomysteries
Bookmarked For Death by Lorna Barrett

Award winning mystery writer Zoe Carter holds a talk and book signing at Trish Miles “Haven’t Got A Clue” bookstore, along with her insulting niece, Kimberly. After the last book is signed and sold, the whereabouts of Mz Carter are sought and, of course found. Strangled, sitting on the commode and quite dead.

This is the 2nd dead body Trish has happened upon since she opened her specialty shop just a year ago. Referred to as the town jinx, she hardly relishes
Kay
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive-audio
Lovely, cute, quick read/listen while doing household chores. It's nice to see Tricia work at getting closer to her sister, and the entire group of characters got to show more of their individual quirks of behavior. These cozy mysteries do follow a bit of a formula, and none of them are great literature, yet they fulfill a need in me to have fluffy, feel-good stories when I am doing routine jobs around the house.

The narration was good, especially with some specialized accents toward the end.

Seve
Nichole
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I really don't have much to say. I wanted a good story, and Bookmarked for Death delivered. Book 2 of the Booktown Mystery series was fast and fun escapism that took only a few days to read. Once again, Lorna Barrett deftly transported me to fictional Stoneham, NH. The pages seemed to turn themselves as I lost myself in this mystery.

4 stars
Gerry
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Stoneham, New Hampshire, thrives as a book town and Tricia Miles' mystery-themed bookstore, 'Haven't Got A Clue' is often the centre of activity as the owner runs a book club that meets weekly as well as having the appeal of coffee on tap for all her customers.

The bookstore also seems to be the main place where any unsavoury incidents take place and in this instance author Zoe Carter is attending to do a book signing session. The place is crowded and everything is going swimmingly well when Zoe
Patti
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
There is so much I like about this book--the setting, which is a mystery bookstore in a town filled with a variety of bookstores, the characters, and the overall mystery is good. I did not see the ending coming, which I like, most of the time.

Here's the "but" paragraph. I thought the main character, Tricia, the mystery bookstore owner, spent waaaay too much time running around town working on solving this crime--it's the usual "the police won't solve it in the time/manner I wish them to, so I wi
Leah
Nancy
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
When mystery bookseller Tricia Miles hosts a signing for renowned author Zoe Carter, she doesn’t count on finding Zoe’s dead body in the restroom at the rear of her store. Anxious to restore her life to normalcy, she gets on the track of a killer. Quirky secondary characters, a charming small town setting, and more clues than inside the books on her shelves keeps Tricia on her toes and the reader turning pages. A fast-reading, fun traditional mystery.
Sue
Mar 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Totally unrealistic even for fiction/mystery. She has a bookstore and drives a Lexus - come on, get real!! Anyone who has worked in retail bookstores, unless you have an incredible financial situation to fund a hobby, you don't run a small narrowly focused bookstore, drive a Lexus and take time off whenever you wantand do it with only 2 part time employees.
Tyrannosaurus regina
It's not that this book made me want to abandon it, but I just didn't get attached to anyone or anything about it. I have fairly simple needs for a cozy, and most of them have more to do with the personalities in the story than the actual mystery. There were personality quirks in the story, but not full personalities or well-developed relationships between, well, anyone.
Sandra
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I think this is one series we should read in the correct order. This is one of the earlier books in the series and once I eliminated the characters who couldn't be the murderer because they are prominent in the later books, it was pretty easy to solve the mystery.

Apart from entirely too much mention of goose droppings, though, this was a good cozy mystery.
Karen ⊰✿
It is hard to not enjoy a cozy mystery set in a town full of bookstores with a cat called Miss Marple!

These are quick easy reads with pretty good audio narration. It won't win awards any time soon, but is the perfect book when you are in the mood for something a bit light.
Janell
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a hard book to finish. The mystery itself wasn't too bad but the characters were so flat and boring. They were all pretty unappealing so it really didn't matter to me whether they figured things out or not.
Marjorie
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Nothing too unusual about this series except the setting. A town devoted to bookstores and booksellers. For some reason I have taken a liking to them. There are some good recipes included, always. A definite plus.
Delta
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2017
I liked this book much more than the first in the series. I thought the twists and red herrings were much better and the characters were much more defined. I wonder how long it will be before the sheriff goes off her rails.
Danny
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2019, mystery
7/10 - Angelica is a selfish cow.
Book Concierge
Book on CD performed by Cassandra Campbell

In book number two in the Booktown Mystery series Tricia Miles is celebrating Haven’t Got a Clue’s first anniversary. But the party is marred when a reclusive author is murdered in the bookshop's bathroom. Of course, she can't help but investigate.

This is a typical cozy mystery scenario, with an amateur sleuth who cannot keep out of the investigation. There’s a significant subplot involving Tricia’s sister Angelica and her inability to keep help at her
Ryan
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
after Reading Murder is Binding the first book in the series by Lorna Barrett. I decided to continue the series with Bookmarked for Death (book two in the series). In Bookmarked for Death, Tricia Miles is celebrating her one year anniversary of packing up her things and relocating to the small village of Stoneham, New Hampshire and opening up her own mystery bookstore, 'Haven't Got a Clue. Tricia marked the occasion by having a famous mystery writer, Zoe Carter, sign her latest book, the last bo ...more
Barb
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tricia Miles, owner of the Haven’t Got a Clue bookstore, must solve her own mystery when a bestselling author is found dead in the washroom.
What do a stone book and a stabbed cake have to do with Zoë Carter's death?
To celebrate her bookstore’s anniversary, Tricia Miles hosts a b
Viviana
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mystery book about a mystery bookstore? Sign me up! This is part 2 of the Booktown Mystery series and I have to say that I was hooked from the beginning. I pride myself in the fact that I realized the mystery before the reveal. Like the first book, I couldn't put this one down. I was hooked from the get go, from the first chapter. I'm truly enjoying Tricia's mysteries and I hope I'll enjoy part 3 just as much. If you enjoy the small town feel of Gilmore Girls where everyone knows each other, a ...more
Play Book Tag: Bookmarked For Death / Lorna Barrett - 3*** 2 9 Apr 01, 2017 11:47AM

• On Borrowed Time (Library Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • A Likely Story (Library Lover's Mystery, #6)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • One Hot Murder (Victoria Square, #3)
  • Better Late Than Never (Library Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Death in the Stacks (Library Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9)
  • Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library Mystery #2)
  • Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4)
  • Cloche and Dagger (Hat Shop Mystery, #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #1)
The immensely popular Booktown Mystery series is what put Lorna Barrett’s name on the New York Times Bestseller list, but it’s her talent -- whether writing as Lorna, or L.L. Bartlett, or Lorraine Bartlett -- that keeps her there. This multi-published, Agatha-nominated author pens the exciting Jeff Resnick Mysteries as well as the acclaimed Victoria Square Mystery series and has many short stories ...more

Booktown Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Murder is Binding (Booktown Mystery, #1)
  • Bookplate Special (Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Sentenced to Death (Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • Not the Killing Type (Booktown Mystery, #7)
  • Book Clubbed (Booktown Mystery, #8)
  • A Fatal Chapter (Booktown Mystery, #9)
  • Title Wave (Booktown Mystery #10)
  • A Just Clause (Booktown Mystery, #11)

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“Over the years more than one friend or acquaintance had asked Tricia why she was so enamored of the mystery genre. How could she actually enjoy stories that celebrated violent death? They had it all wrong. The books didn't celebrate death, but triumph for justice. Too often real-life villains got away with murder, but in fiction, justice was usually assured.

Sometimes she wished life better imitated art.”
0 likes