What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. English Children's book about siblings in a hidden railroad city? [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2 comments Thank you in advance for any assistance. Fiction book with nothing to do with slavery (which is all my searches for Underground Railroad ever come up with)

From what I can remember, I think it was about a brother and sister, brother possibly younger? Maybe a trio? They get lost when exploring an old rail tunnel and somehow find themselves in a miniature village hidden in an underground abandoned railroad. They are exploring this untouched little world and...I forget the details but it ends with them being chased by the little people that inhabit this railroad and escape via getting back up into the Tube system.

The book I owned had a red spine, and was a paperback. The cover was kind of like a watercolour painting, or maybe a pencil drawing? It's very sketchy my memory, but I remember enjoying reading this book when I was younger. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
When did you read this? Was it modern or historical? Any fantasy elements other than the "little people"? What age group is it for--k and under, 1-3 grades, 4-7 grades, YA?

message 3: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments The Gnome of Central Park? Probably not because it doesn't mention railroads, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

message 4: by bookel (last edited Aug 14, 2016 05:38AM) (new)

bookel | 2474 comments If it is this one, which I've read, then yes it is quite memorable
But I'm glad I was able to search my catalogue using the keyword railway, as I had trouble recalling title and author too.

The horn of mortal danger by Lawrence Leonard (1989). When Widgie and his sister Jen stumble on a network of canals and railways beneath North London and discover a secret world unknown to people above ground, they quickly find themselves involved in a deadly struggle for territory between the Canallers and the Railwaymen. Jen, carried away down the flooding Fleet River, despairs of seeing her brother again, and Widgie too has fearful doubts. Mentions "digging through to Australia."

See link for cover. http://www.librarything.com/work/4602...

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2 comments bookel wrote: "If it is this one, which I've read, then yes it is quite memorable
But I'm glad I was able to search my catalogue using the keyword railway, as I had trouble recalling title and author too.

The ho..."

YES!

This is exactly it! Thank you!

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36044 comments Mod
The Horn Of Mortal Danger by Lawrence Leonard - for bookel's find