Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > BotM 2016 - [August] The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman - Part 1

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 30, 2016 02:32PM) (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
The winner of the June Book of the Month is The Graveyard Book!

Discussion of the book will begin on August 1. There will be a new topic for each quarter of the book, with all sections posted at the beginning of the month, allowing members to read at their own pace and enter the different threads as they progress.

Moderators will begin the conversation but if you post an answer to these questions then please post your own question at the end. Then the person after you answers your question and posts their own. This will create a chain of questions/answers, much like the style of "Person Below Me".

For more information about the book of the month, see the Introduction post.

Part 1: 0-25%
Part 2: 26-50%
Part 3: 51-75%
Part 4: 75-100%

Part 1 Questions:
1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?

2. Are you using the book for a challenge category? If yes, which one?

3. Were you surprised by the beginning of the story?

4. What do you think of the choice for the boy's name?

5. Answer the question posed by the person above you!

message 2: by Aglaea (last edited Aug 01, 2016 06:46AM) (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
ebook although I wish I could have listened to it!

Yes, The Rejects, a book with a ghost in it.

Oh yes! For a childrens' book it is surprisingly intense and catches my interest immediately. I've never read fiction by Gaiman before, but his storytelling is fantastic. His hook (to catch my interest) including first sentence is masterful and I can't wait to get the question answered: why was the family supposed to die.

Perfect. He can hide between it if someone asks "who's there", it reminds us of Mrs Owens' reaction that he looks like nobody else but himself and that he is all alone in the world. Yet not, not everywhere.

5. Q&A
A: I have no question to answer :)
Q: Who/what do you think Silas is?

ETA Ugh, was I not supposed to answer the questions yet? Sorry if I screwed up, missed the 'moderators will begin the discussion' (what do you mean by that when the questions are in this thread now?)!

message 3: by Sophie (last edited Aug 01, 2016 08:38AM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
I listened to the audiobook at the beginning of the year. I realize it's not going to be easy to find questions to ask, because I don't really remember when what happens, but I'll try.

I tweeked the 2016 Popsugar challenge to read it. I really didn't want to read a political memoir, so I swapped it with the Hugo-award winner reject ATY prompt. Yeah, I really wanted to read this ;)

Yes, I didn't know what to expect, but I was charmed from the beginning (no I'm not biased ;) ).

I like the sound of Bod, it's a bit weird, but goes well to the story. Nobody is a bit sad though.

5. Who/what do you think Silas is?
I remember that almost as soon as Silas arrived he made me think of a vampire (it was maybe the voice).

My question: Why do you think Bod can see the people of the graveyard?

message 4: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
I borrowed it as an ebook from the library

I think I might use it for "the thing that goes bump in the middle of the night" week

Yes a little. Like Sophie I didn't know what to expect, but there was something captivating already from first sentence.

At first it was a bit weird, but think about it, it kinda fits his surroundings. He grows up amongst ghosts, who in a way isn't anybody anymore. Does that make sense?

5. Why do you think Bod can see the people of the graveyard?
I'm guessing it has something to do with Bod having Freedom of the Graveyard.
Maybe it also has something to do with the innocence of children. He hasn't been told that ghost and all of these other creatures don't excist.

My question: What do you think about the illustrations in the book? Do they contribute to your reading in any way?

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
I listened+ebooked the 1st time, so I went with just the audio for the 2nd.

No, it was a side-read, but it could fit in several categories :)

I'd no idea what the book was about the 1st time, I picked it because it was a children book by Gaiman. So, I was very surprised by how it started, it's really not the usual tone for children books. It was a good way to interest me.

I found it strange but cute and it's useful to write funny scenes or make jokes. It's a good name for a Gaiman's book, it seems he likes playing with them (I've Coraline in mind).

5. What do you think about the illustrations in the book? Do they contribute to your reading in any way?
*go have a look at her paperback*
I always enjoy illustrations in books but in the Graveyard, I didn't find them really useful or pleasant (the style is a little too "adult" for me). So I can't say they contributed to my reading and I wouldn't be bothered if they weren't here.

My question: What’s your favorite paranormal creature in books and why?

message 6: by Bec (last edited Aug 03, 2016 04:34PM) (new)

Bec | 892 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
ebook

Yes, for something that goes bump in the night

I had no idea what the book was about and to be honest would have never picked it up if it wasn't for this group read. Therefore I wasn't surprised by the beginning of the story as I had no expectations.

I like his nickname Bod, but not so fond of Nobody.

What’s your favorite paranormal creature in books and why?
I don't really have a favourite - I enjoy reading about vampires from time to time, but also lots of various other paranormal beings.

My question - where do you think Silas went and what is he doing?

message 7: by Anna (last edited Aug 04, 2016 09:15AM) (new)

Anna | 978 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
I own a physical copy.

I chose it as an award winning book.

Well, yes, it was very naturalistic.

Bod is a good nickname.

5. Where do you think Silas went and what is he doing?
I think Silas went off to find out who is after Bod and why.

My question: What do you think: will Scarlett feature more in the story, or have we seen the last of her?

message 8: by J (new)

J Austill | 664 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?

I picked up a physical copy from the library, since it has pictures.

I went with 'Bump in the Night', since it is one of the few categories that I have left.

No, actually. That is exactly what I was expecting, perhaps I know my Gaiman too well?

I seem to be the opposite of the consensus on this one. I think that Nobody is a brilliant name, Neil has even found a few good moments to use this already. I am less impressed with Bod.

What do you think: will Scarlett feature more in the story, or have we seen the last of her?

I do think that Scarlett will show back up, likely close to the end. I don't think that any of the events of the book will be random or unnecessary -> we just have to find out how they play into each other later.

My question: When exactly does this book take place? (your opinion, doesn't need to be based on evidence).

message 9: by °~Amy~° (last edited Aug 06, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3236 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
My stepson (age 13) and I are reading this together. He is using the ebook while we both listen to the audiobook. I had heard it was better that way. I am not yet sure if I agree. We sped the playback up to 125% and it still feels a bit slow.

I am using it for a Popsugar category; a book from the library. My step-son is doing a reading challenge for the library. I think he chose either A Book That Scares You, or A Book You Heard About On the Internet (since we heard about here first.)

It was much darker and more macabre than we expected for a children's book. Neither of us mind though. We are both a bit dark and macabre ourselves at times.

I love it. He is like Nobody so his name is Nobody. And Bod for short is cute. My stepson disagrees. He says it's the worst name ever and he would just DIE if it were his name. lol

5. When exactly does this book take place?
I feel like it's early 1900's but I have lost track of when the ghosts lived so I could be way off. ** edit: we were mistaken about how far into this book we were. Back on track we realize that there are mentions of very modern mobile phones and such so apparently this is a modern day story.

New Question: Have you ever read a Gaiman story before?

message 10: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Amy, it seems fun to read the book with your stepson and it's fun to have his feedback!
You need to ask a question for the next member ;)

message 11: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3236 comments Oops sorry.

Have you ever read a Gaiman story before?

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 128 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
I am listening to the full cast edition of the audiobook (I also have the e-book, mostly to keep track of my % done). This was the one that came available first from the library. Since the Gaiman version was highly recommended by the group, I tried to wait for that one, but it was taking too long. This version is very well done though. And Derek Jacobi is no slouch ;)

Yes, I am using it for number 49: 'A book with a great opening line'
("There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.")

Not precisely. I had read the blurb, so I knew some of the things that would happen. But the book sucks you in right away.

I think it is a great name for a character in a fantasy story, but Nobody would be a cruel name for a child in real life. Bod is a solid nickname though.

5. Have you ever read a Gaiman story before?
I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane last year. It was beautifully written, but while I enjoyed it, I found it a little odd. I am enjoying this more, so far.

New Question: Who is the "master" of the oldest grave in the graveyard? Do you think he will return?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2807 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
I'm using the audiobook, although I kind of regretted it after I saw that the paper version had illustrations.

I am, but for BookRiot 2015. The category was "an audiobook." I saw that someone else had used it for a "thing that goes bump in the night" book, which I kind of wish I had picked too since I'm on the fence about my choice for that one (currently thinking of Dracula, I'm just not sure I have the time to devote to it).

Yes, very. I didn't know much about the book before I chose it and I was surprised how they jumped straight in with such violence. Something about the beginning of the book also reminded me of Harry Potter.

I think it's interesting and I understand why they chose it, although I would hate to be named Nobody. I can see it being very useful as a plot device at some point.

5. Who is the "master" of the oldest grave in the graveyard? Do you think he will return?
Honestly, I have no idea. I actually got a little confused while listening to the audiobook between the Sleer, the master, and the man in the coat. I have a hard time keeping my attention on audiobooks, so I had to replay that section twice. I think he will return because of all the emphasis earlier on who the oldest graveyard resident was.

New question: Why do you think the character is constantly referred to as "the man Jack", instead of just as Jack? Why is he so intent on killing an infant?

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 478 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
Audio - Gaiman version

Nope

Not really. This book had been on my TBR so i knew the synopsis.

It's definitely a unique name. However, I too would hate to be named nobody.

5. Answer the question posed by the person above you!
I have no idea and I would like to know why too! I wonder what the man Jack has against the family.

Question: Do you think Nobody will ever venture outside the graveyard?

message 15: by Anne Katrin (last edited Aug 20, 2016 09:41AM) (new)

Anne Katrin | 44 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
ebook

I hadn't thought about it, but now I think I might for the great opening line - that one really pulled me in.

Yes. It was much more exciting than I thought it would be.

I liked Bod immediately, and felt Nobody was a little strange and a little cruel.

5. Do you think Nobody will ever venture outside the graveyard?
Yes, I do. Maybe he goes to school or meets other people in another fun way. Or he has to, to meet Scarlet again.

Question: Do you think the man Jack will be back and if yes, how long will it take?

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 1085 comments 1. Which format did you choose (ebook, paper, audio)?
The Neil Gaiman audio

Yes, the things that go bump in the night. Another book group is reading it in October too!

I don't know. There had to be a story of how he ended up in the graveyard I supposed. It was definitely unexpected.

I'm at the point of thinking "what happens when he grows up, will he go into the world and say his name is Bod?"

5. Do you think the man Jack will be back and if yes, how long will it take?
I had hoped not, but it makes sense he will

Question to the next person: Although he is clearly kind and fond of Bod, in the larger would do you think Silas is something considered good or bad? The residents of the graveyard seem a little scared of him and I'm wondering does Bod see him with more innocent eyes?

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 218 comments I'm starting this book extremely late in the month but hopefully will finish by the end of August! I've never done one of these Book of the Month things but it seemed like fun.

Ebook

Yes--things that bump in the night

Yes, very. I definitely wasn't expecting it to immediately start with a triple murder.

Nobody is a sad name for a child (I think it reminds me of the book, A Child Called It), but Bod is kind of a cool name.

5. Although he is clearly kind and fond of Bod, in the larger would do you think Silas is something considered good or bad? The residents of the graveyard seem a little scared of him and I'm wondering does Bod see him with more innocent eyes?
I think Silas is mostly good, although maybe he'll end up being one of those gray area characters. I think the rest of the graveyard residents are scared just because he's different from them. I'm really interested in finding out more about his character.

Question to the next person: Do you think Bod was born a normal human or do you think he has some sort of unique abilities?

message 18: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments Part 1 Questions:

Physical book

No, I usually just like to participate in the Book of the Month threads.

I was surprised. I know Neil Gaiman's books are always very unusual because I've read several, but I didn't expect the book to immediately start with a triple murder and the killer hunting an infant. It really pulled me in immediately.

I like Bod. But it's true Gaiman likes to play with characters' names. Nobody is very clever since he's lost his identity after the death of his family.

5. Do you think Bod was born a normal human or do you think he has some sort of unique abilities?

Right now I think he was born a normal human. Unless the reason he and his family were hunted was because he's not normal. Hmm this has opened up a whole new way of looking at the story haha.

My question: Who is Miss Lupescu? Is she a ghost or is she alive? How does Silas know her?