Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne; Anything Goes BOM, Start Date 2 September, 2016 **REVISIT** May 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 232 (232 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31496 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, by J.K. Rowling Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, a new play by Jack Thorne, is the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. It will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on 30th July 2016

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes darkness comes from unexpected places.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 06, 2016 01:29AM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

2 Sept Pt 1, Act One 1-94 Karen
3 Sept Pt 1, Act Two 95-174 Imke

**BREAK DAY**

5 Sept Pt 2, Act Three 175-260 Karrie
6 Sept Pt 2, Act Four 261-330(end) Sonia

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14753 comments Mod
I will be watching my mail box next week! :)

message 6: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments This one might be tough to get! I will read it with the group, but I'm sure there will be lots of question volunteers. I will write some if you need me, but lets give others the opportunity first.

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara I will definitely join you with this one, as I will see the play in London next weekend :-)

message 8: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Tamara wrote: "I will definitely join you with this one, as I will see the play in London next weekend :-)"

You lucky girl, have a lot of fun. Come and tell us how the play was.

message 9: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm in and volunteer to write questions.

message 10: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Imke wrote: "Tamara wrote: "I will definitely join you with this one, as I will see the play in London next weekend :-)"

You lucky girl, have a lot of fun. Come and tell us how the play was."

Yes! Please Do!

message 11: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 1082 comments I'm definitely down for this BOM!

message 12: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Karrie wrote: "Imke wrote: "Tamara wrote: "I will definitely join you with this one, as I will see the play in London next weekend :-)"

You lucky girl, have a lot of fun. Come and tell us how the play was."

Yes..."

Well, sorry for the off topic but I really have to report about the play :-) it was absolutely great! The stage set was amazingly done - it was somehow like a big magic show! They really have outdone themselves by playing magic tricks on stage. The actors were also magnificent (I can tell you, who I loved the most, when we are reading the book!). Nevertheless, I did not like the story too much. I don't know how the play will transfer into written style because of the missing stage set, and interpretation of the actors. We laughed so often during the play and I don't know how this will be in the book. We will see :-) I am really looking forward to this BOM!

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise Lauron (dlauron) | 206 comments Oh, I just got this! I'd love to join.

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Thanks for sharing Tamara!

I got my copy in the mail this week :)
#myprecious

message 15: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3323 comments I have a copy and plan to join this discussion too. I'm very excited to read this one, but will be on vacation starting on the 3rd, so I'm not sure how chatty I'll be or if I'll be keeping up... depends how vacation goes, I suppose!

@Tamara - Lucky girl! I hope to see the play some day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

message 16: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 435 comments I'll be joining for this book. I'm planning to get the ebook on September first. I wasn't sure if I was planning to get it but I've heard lots of good things and now I'm intrigued.

message 17: by Nina (new)

Nina already read it but I am curious what you all think about it. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll wait on your discussions

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Breakdown posted. I've kept it to one Act per day, and included a break day
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 19: by Un (new)

Un Concepto | 1 comments Im reading too :-)))

message 20: by Erika (new)

Erika | 10 comments I didn't think I'd get the library copy in time to join, but I did so I'll be joining too. It's a fast read. That's probably why I got a copy so fast!

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Comments and Questions
September 2
Part One, Act One

1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?

2. Without giving any spoilers, have you read much about what this book is about, or are you going into it with no pre-conceived ideas?

3. I absolutely love that Albus is in Slytherin, that he is unpopular, best friends with Scorpius... It has kept this story quite different to Harry's and adds a new dimension to Harry as he needs to learn how to be a parent to a child who doesn't enjoy Hogwarts. What are your thoughts?

4. I wasn't expecting Cedric Diggory to be a plot point and I can't see how it would be possible to change time and have him survive. If they succeed, does the last 19 years just become a gap in Cedric's memory? How would that work? Time travel is always so timey-wimey!

5. Initial thoughts? Loving? Hating? Ambivalent?

message 22: by Nihlaeth (new)

Nihlaeth | 15 comments 1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?

I have read one or two before (Shakespeare), but did not enjoy them. Reading a play means you miss all the body language and most of the description. Having seen the movies, and read the previous books over and over does help here, but I'd rather this had been a regular book.

2. Without giving any spoilers, have you read much about what this book is about, or are you going into it with no pre-conceived ideas?

A friend has read the book, and talked to me about it, so I have heard some, but not much. It wouldn't be true to say that I have no preconceived notions though. For me, the Harry Potter series is done. Writing a sequel, and not even a proper book at that, feels like milking the hype to me.

3. I absolutely love that Albus is in Slytherin, that he is unpopular, best friends with Scorpius... It has kept this story quite different to Harry's and adds a new dimension to Harry as he needs to learn how to be a parent to a child who doesn't enjoy Hogwarts. What are your thoughts?

I like that as well. It's different, but not very well explored until now if you ask me. I would have loved if the story had been more Hogwards focused. Maybe that's just the format.

4. I wasn't expecting Cedric Diggory to be a plot point and I can't see how it would be possible to change time and have him survive. If they succeed, does the last 19 years just become a gap in Cedric's memory? How would that work? Time travel is always so timey-wimey!

In the Harry Potter series, everything that was changed with a time turner, had previously gone unobserved. Not so with Cedric. His death impacted decisions. Impacted Harry. Who's to say Harry would still have Won, if Cedric hadn't died? Who's to say who else would have died in his place? If you're going to screw with the universe, why not prevent Voldemort from being born? Why not save Fred and George? Or anyone else for that matter? I get that for Amos, Cedric is a priority, but he's being pretty selfish about it.

I'm not loving it so far. Play format isn't my dig, and after the first act, the rest of the story seems kind of predictable. Also, it really bothers me that an adult allows two 16-year-olds to seek out the most dangerous serial killer of all times. If she doesn't turn out to be evil... well, it wouldn't be a big surprise, there's a lot of precedent in the Harry Potter universe.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2146 comments 1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?
I’ve read a few, mostly “classics” – I like it cause you have to read between the lines to understand what’s happening and it always fascinates me how much you can pick up just from the way people talk. I don’t imagine them on stage, in my head they look like regular “books” (or movies I guess) and I don’t really imagine how the characters look like either – I don’t do it for books either, I never try to piece the information together to imagine a real-life person. Does that make me weird? I just don’t really care about that…

I often try to find out what a book is about before I read it but I went into this without looking any info up. I was somewhat skeptical about it cause I don’t really think it’s necessary but I was still excited? More about the HP universe, yes please!

I agree with everything you’re saying, it’s so refreshing! I don’t really understand why he behaves the way he does, but to each their own I guess?

I’m so surprised! It’s so interesting (though I’m not sure if that’s in a good way here) and I LOVE time travel shenanigans… that will be quite the ride! And if it’s not going to be messy, they’re doing something wrong.

Very much ambivalent… I still don’t feel like this story was very necessary and it’s not bad but so far it hasn’t really gripped me (I’ve only read the first act so far). I definitely don’t trust Delphi.

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1663 comments 1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?

I have read Shakespeare's plays before. The problem I have with plays is that you don't really get into people's heads the way you can in a regular book. Plays are all action and dialogue. I think it would have been nice to see a bit more of the protagonist's intentions/concerns/feelings.

I knew going into this that it was about Albus. That's mostly all I knew. I was both excited and concerned because though the initial idea/story was Rowling's, I knew they would play with it for the stage and I was worried about what they would do to the characters I love.

I actually thought that Albus becoming friends with Scorpius was a very Harry thing to do. He made up his own mind and didn't allow Rose's thoughts to influence him. I think it is a little difficulty for Harry to understand that since Albus' childhood was different from his own, then Albus doesn't need Hogwarts the same way Harry did.

I actually really hate time travel books because all I can focus on is the paradoxes and this story if no exception. I wish they would have picked almost any other storyline than bringing back Cedric. If they succeed, then the whole world changes; it wouldn't just be a gap in Cedric's memory, it would be a whole new world because he would have influenced everyone, just differently than he did by dying.

Initially, I am ambiguous. Not sure if I like it or not. I do love that Albus isn't growing up to be a carbon copy of his Dad and that he doesn't really like the popularity of his name. I just hope that he doesn't go the wrong way forever.

message 25: by Tamara (new)

Tamara 1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?

I had to read a few in school and really enjoyed them there. Nevertheless, after seeing the Harry Potter play I did not enjoy the book as much, as many elements of the play were missing (the magic tricks the humour, the stage set etc.). I think maybe it is better to read a play without real pictures and experiences in your head, as your fantasy can much more be involved in creating the world in your mind. The same happened with the actors - as I saw them real life, I had them in my head and not my "usual" Harry, Hermione and Ron...

I managed to sit in the play without a single idea about the story. As I saw the play one week after the premiere, I stopped reading popular sources such as reddit during this time and therefore was absolutely unspoilered.

Contrary to many, I was never a big fan of Harry in the books. I really enjoy that his worldview is challenged with the decisions, Albus is making. Maybe it is good for him, to think a bit beyond his own attitude as this is one of his major flaws.

The whole Cedric story was the weak point of the play, if you ask me. Nevertheless, it was necessary to get the whole plot going but I wonder if there wasn't be a better solution. Making Cedric such a big part of the story seems a bit arbitrary.

Love. There is no other possible feeling for me, considering that I grew up with Harry Potter and can not imagine a year without reading the whole series. I am definitely biased!

message 26: by Nina (new)

Nina 1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?
Yeah I read some Shakespeare and other classics and I liked them. I like to imagine the settings and yeah I thought about the characters as the actors from the movies rather than from the play. I cannot wrap my head around the new "guys".

I finished the book already but I did not read anything about it prior.

Oh I definitely love that Albus is Slytherin and friends with Scorpius. I was always a fan of Draco too so I am happy they are BFs BUT kind of obvious too.

It was a bit far-fetched and it felt forced. Sorry.. they needed Cedric only to get some context to the other Harry Potter Books. But didn't like it at all.
Only the changed realities are somewhat interesting .. all-in-all a bit "lame".

I am a bit ambivalent. I thought yeeah new HP Book and all my beloved characters but it felt forced and cheesy. I was a bit disappointed overall. :/

message 27: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Comments and Questions September 2 Part One, Act One

1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?
I have read only one play before, because I had to in school. That was also a play that was written in old Dutch. I have no problems while reading, it was a little strange at first but i got used to it and I actually like it now. I'm not imagining them as the actors in the movie, it helps for me that they are in their forties at the time the story takes place.

No I haven't. I tried to stay away from descriptions or reviews, because I wanted to go in with an open mind. I really see this book as separate from the Harry Potter series.

I do like that Albus isn't the popular boy that his brother seems to be. I had some difficulty reading his experiences in school, I have had some problems with bullying in school and felt very alone and isolated at that time, so I felt I could relate with Albus. Also why he doesn't tell his parents his problems. I never told my parents, they know now and my mum still feels guilty that she didn't ask at that time because she could se that I had problems like Harry and Ginny can with Albus.

I don't know how it would work, from what I know about time turners from the prisoner of azkaban is that they travelled back a few hours and relived those hours. In this case they have to travel back in time and then go to the future because I don't see how they would live all those years.

I like it, I wasn't expecting anything and was afraid to be dissapointed but so far so good.

message 28: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3323 comments September 2
Part One, Act One

I don't typically read plays. I have read them, but don't generally enjoy them. I feel there is so much that is left out compared to a novel. However, I feel like I have a sense of the characters and the locations, etc, so that makes this one better for me.

I actually have no idea what it is about.

I love that he is best friends with Scorpius. however I feel that Albus is a bit moody for my taste, but I love Scorpius. He is adorable.

I don't like it as a plot point. A lot of people died in the past. It is unfair to pick and choose which to bring back. I do like the idea of Albus going back to "right his father's mistakes" in some ways, but mostly as taking on an adventure where his father failed. I'd much prefer it not involve time travel or trying to save someone that died.

So far, I'm enjoying it. It took me a minute to get used to the play format, since I don't normally read them, but I am hopeful that the story will be good overall.

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Thanks for all your thoughts!
I started this book with absolutely no idea what it was about and I have to say, I finished Act One with a big smile on my face. I just loved it. I like reading plays because you need to kick your imagination into gear, and although it took me a minute to get into the swing of it and all the characters (I still keep thinking Hermoine and Harry are together and forget about Ginny! haha) it took a bit of will power to stop reading.
Going to get into Act Two now :)

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessyann84) | 26 comments Comments and Questions
September 2
Part One, Act One

I’ve only ever read Shakespeare’s plays. I’m unable to imagine the stage production, but I do picture the original cast as the actors.

I have not read anything about what the book is about.

I also enjoy the different direction this has gone from Harry’s. It’s fresh and new and not the same old predictable story line.

I was shocked when I found out that Cedric Diggory was a factor in this play. This time travel stuff can go so many ways. If they do succeed I don’t think there will be a gap in Cedric’s memory.

Ambivalent, not so sure how I feel about the plot and the way the book is presented.

message 31: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3323 comments Oh...I just started Act 2 and I have an idea of what could happen. Hmmm...I can't wait to see if I'm right or not. Probably not, but my idea could make a whole new series. If only Miss Rowling was willing...

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilythebooknerd) | 1388 comments Comments and Questions
September 2
Part One, Act One

I have already finished this book/play. (I’ll put any spoilers in spoiler tags.) Be warned, I am not a fan and have many issues with it, despite being part of the “Harry Potter generation” and a huge fan of the original books. Look forward to seeing what the rest of you think.

No, I haven’t read many plays (besides some Shakespeare and a few others for school), and I definitely feel the format negatively affected my enjoyment. With no descriptions of the sets or costumes and only minimal descriptions of actions and the special effects used for the magic, I found it hard to get immersed in the world. I don’t feel the dialogue was of quite good enough quality to basically carry the whole story.
I still mostly picture them how I did originally when reading the books. The movie versions influenced me somewhat, but didn’t change the original images I had completely. I hadn’t seen any pictures of the play cast, so definitely wasn’t picturing them that way.

I went into it fairly blind, just knowing it was about Harry’s son Albus and featured grown-up versions of the main characters from the original books.

I actually see some definite similarities between Harry and Albus’s situations- Harry also went through periods of being unpopular, of having only Ron and Hermione as friends. And both were singled out from their peers not for their actions but for reasons they didn’t choose and couldn’t change.
I’m not the hugest fan of Albus, I don’t feel he’s super likable. Scorpius is great, though.
Honestly, I thought Harry acted quite out of character in this play, especially in terms of his parenting. I feel like he should have been able to empathize more with Albus’s situation and would have done so. I felt like other characters were not portrayed faithfully either, like Ron basically being relegated to comic relief.

I think that it would alter the timeline to one where Cedric had always been alive. It would be a differently reality where he had lived the past 19 years and would have those memories. He probably wouldn’t even know he had ever been dead. Time travel can get very confusing, especially if not done well.
I feel like rehashing Harry and Voldermort’s history, instead of coming up with a new basis for an adventure for Albus and Scorpius was boring and uncreative.

At this point, I was struggling to lower my expectations and take it for what it is, as well as adjusting to the play format. I felt like it rushed through so much of Albus’s first years, when there could have been so much more depth and story there.

message 33: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 174 comments Comments and Questions
September 2
Part One, Act One

I have read several plays, but this one doesn't seem to have that much stage direction compared to others. And yes, I'm definitely still picturing the actors from the movies!

I'm a blank slate going in! I've only heard that it reads a lot like fan fiction.

Yes, I definitely think it's more realistic that there will be one in a family who doesn't quite "fit in", just like with Sirius! But I do hope Albus resolves some of his issues soon because he doesn't seem happy.

I think it would mess up waaay too many things to try to go back. Because considering the context, can you imagine two 14 year-old boys in that graveyard at the same time as Pettigrew and Voldemort?! They'll end up killed themselves or screw up the timeline by preventing Harry from returning or something. I think it would be a huge mistake to try it.

I'm still skeptical, but I don't want to expect to be disappointed, either. I'm worried that some things in the story will clash with the existing story. But it is cute to learn about their children.

message 34: by Kerri (last edited Sep 02, 2016 07:38PM) (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 1082 comments Comments and Questions
September 2
Part One, Act One

I've read a couple of plays, if we're not counting Shakespeare. If we are, I've read a lot of plays, lol. As it is, I'm finding it pretty easy to picture what is happening on stage, what with the stage direction and all that. I'm sure the imaginings of my mind are a little more fantastical than what could *actually* be accomplished on a stage, but I'm liking it. I am still picturing the movie actors, but I don't think there's any shaking that unless I actually see the play. And there's about 0% chance of that ever happening.

I'm going into it with absolutely no pre-conceived notions. I purposely avoided news about this book because I wanted to read it with a clean slate.

At times, it seems like it's trying to be a little anti-Harry (look at how different! He has trouble with everything that Harry found easy!), but I do like the angle and I especially like seeing Harry has just as much difficulty as anyone would dealing with a surly teenager. Albus' Potter-side is showing, though. Jumping off the Hogwarts Express is so very Harry.

I was not expecting this at all. I also don't see how it would really work out. Cedric being alive could potentially change everything, *including* Voldemort being dead. Time is funny like that. Also, I think Amos is being a tad bit of an ass. Yes, it sucks that Cedric died. It sucks really hard. But a lot of people died at Voldemort's hands. What makes Cedric so special that his father thinks he deserves to come back but no one else does? I know he's grieving his son, but he needs to just let his son rest in peace.

I'm liking it. Not loving it. But definitely not hating it. I kind of want to punch Albus in the face. We'll see how it goes.

message 35: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 174 comments I agree with what most of you are saying on two points:
1) That this already feels like an unnecessary addition to the HP universe because Rowling is just feeding into the hype. Unfortunate, but then who can say no to more HP?
2) That the Cedric connection feels extremely weak and unnecessary (and very petty on the part of Amos).

But still hoping for a good ending!!!

message 36: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 435 comments Part One, Act One

I don’t read plays. As I read this I’m reminded of how much I hate reading plays. Regular books provide so much details I have no problems imagining them. Plays tend to be scarce and so my imagination fails me. I’m picturing the movie actors as the characters because they’re what I already have in mind. I would love to see this play acted out.

I knew going into the book that it was going to center around Albus and Scorpius screwing around with time. Like I said earlier I hat reading plays and was going to just not read this book at all but a friend told me a bit about it and insisted I had to read it. I was still on the fence on reading it but then saw that it was going to be the first BOM in September and was like it’s a sign and decided to read it.

I love that Albus is in Slytherin and I even understand how being in Slytherin will have isolated him from everyone else as the black sheep. Despite the difficulties that Harry and Albus seem to have getting along and understanding each other I think the characters are a lot alike. I think that’s actually where the problem stems from they are alike but at the same time they went in different directions. Like Harry tried desperately to live up to his parents memory while Albus desperately wants to get away from his Dad’s.

I knew there was going to be time travel in the book going in but I didn’t know it was going to revolve around Cedric. He’s kind of like the death that started the war but he’s like a footnote. It will be interesting to see what comes from him surviving. Like you said timey-whimey and fixed points if we aplly Doctor Who logic things are going to go downhill fast.

I’m not enjoying it. It had some good moments and there were some funny lines and scenes but I really really hate the format. Plus despite understanding Albus and Harry I can’t really relate to their angsty man pain.

message 37: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 435 comments Kerri wrote: "I kind of want to punch Albus in the face. "

I’m totally with you there. I know it shows my age but he’s like a total brat and from what I see it’s for no real reason cause Harry does seem to be trying. He honestly thinks his dad doesn’t care at all but Harry wouldn’t keep trying if he didn’t care.

message 38: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Discussion questions 3 September: Act two

6. Bane: “There is a black cloud around your son, a dangerous black cloud.” Could this divination by the centaurs mean that Albus is the cursed child from the title of this book? Can you think of another explanation?

7. Albus: “But I am nothing like my dad.”I think Harry and Albus are more alike than they think, like how they look out for their friends but also for people who are overlooked by others. Do you think so too? Are there more similarities between Harry and Albus?

8. Wow, Harry getting advice on how to raise his son from Draco. Do you think Draco is right in what he said to Harry (Act 2, scene 15)?

9. O, o Voldemort day?!?! What happened here? Umbridge headmistress of Hogwarts? How did that happen? Guesses?

10. Do you like how all the characters have turned out as adults?

11. Any favorite scenes from act 2?

message 39: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 1082 comments Claudia wrote: "Kerri wrote: "I kind of want to punch Albus in the face. "

I’m totally with you there. I know it shows my age but he’s like a total brat and from what I see it’s for no real reason cause Harry doe..."

Agreed. He drives me a little insane. I think he also kind of scares me because I have a daughter that is getting close to those teenage years and I'm hoping this isn't what I should expect, lol.

message 40: by Kaleen (new)

Kaleen | 60 comments Comments and Questions
September 2
Part One, Act One

I like reading plays! I find myself trying to picture how it would be in a movie or on stage. I'm trying to picture them as the new actors, but it's a little difficult.

2. Without giving any spoilers, have you read much about what this book is about, or are you going into it with no pre-conceived ideas? I have not heard anything about the book, so no clue what will happen!

3. I absolutely love that Albus is in Slytherin, that he is unpopular, best friends with Scorpius... It has kept this story quite different to Harry's and adds a new dimension to Harry as he needs to learn how to be a parent to a child who doesn't enjoy Hogwarts. What are your thoughts? I like the change, but find myself getting frustrated with Albus and Harry.

4. I wasn't expecting Cedric Diggory to be a plot point and I can't see how it would be possible to change time and have him survive. If they succeed, does the last 19 years just become a gap in Cedric's memory? How would that work? Time travel is always so timey-wimey! Right! Couldn't it change everything?!

5. Initial thoughts? Loving? Hating? Ambivalent? Pretty ambivalent at this point. But I'm sure I'll have more of an opinion after the second act.

message 41: by Tamara (new)

Tamara 6. Bane: “There is a black cloud around your son, a dangerous black cloud.” Could this divination by the centaurs mean that Albus is the cursed child from the title of this book? Can you think of another explanation?
My first thought was that Albus might be in danger, but I don't know if this is directly associated to the "cursed" part of the story. In a way he definitely is cursed with Harry as his father. It must be extremely difficult having a famous dad and even more difficult as Harry obviously did not get over all the things that have happened to him.

7. Albus: “But I am nothing like my dad.”I think Harry and Albus are more alike than they think, like how they look out for their friends but also for people who are overlooked by others. Do you think so too? Are there more similarities between Harry and Albus?
I have difficulties seeing a lot of similarities between Albus and Harry as Albus tries his best to be nothing like his Dad at all. I experience Harry extremely bitter in this book but maybe that only shows my dislike of Harry.

8. Wow, Harry getting advice on how to raise his son from Draco. Do you think Draco is right in what he said to Harry (Act 2, scene 15)?
Yes! I really like Draco in this book, he became a good man, although he does not want to show others. His life might be even more difficult than Harry's now but he is trying his best.

9. O, o Voldemort day?!?! What happened here? Umbridge headmistress of Hogwarts? How did that happen? Guesses?
Great ending of the first part! I loved loved loved this scene in the theatre and also in the book. Maybe one of the strongest parts of the book, in my opinion because that is everything we feared after hearing from the time travelling, didn't we?

As mentioned above, Harry seems really bitter and I do not like this development. I really liked Hermione and Ginny. Hermione is not anymore the "know-it-all" but grew into a strong and independent woman. Ginny is supportive and understanding but also has her own opinions. I think she is very good for Harry! Ron developed into some kind of clown and I cannot take him seriously. Draco changed the most and I really really like him. He is struggling a lot but doing the best he could.

Definitely the ending! Voldemort Day!!!

message 42: by Nihlaeth (new)

Nihlaeth | 15 comments 6. Bane: “There is a black cloud around your son, a dangerous black cloud.” Could this divination by the centaurs mean that Albus is the cursed child from the title of this book? Can you think of another explanation?

I think Harry was extremely rash in jumping to the conclusion that Scorpio was this black cloud. He has experience with divination, he should know better than anyone that prophecy is fickle, and interpretation is hard and unreliable. My first thought would be that the black cloud mentioned here refers to Albus' discontentment, and possibly the majorly stupid decisions he's making with the time turner. I don't see any hint of a curse aside from the book title.

I definitely see similarities, but where Harry's flaws might be forgiven because of the difficult childhood and the impossible situation that he was in at the time, Albus doesn't gets such leeway. Sure, he has a poor relationship with his father, and growing up in his shadow can't be easy, but he doesn't exactly try to get along with him either. To me it even seems he does his best to fail everyone's expectations. He loves his black sheep status the little too much. He is self-involved and shortsighted. He definitely gets his hunger for adventure and impulsiveness from his dad in any case.

I don't recall what he said exactly, but I remember agreeing with it. Draco has definitely shaped up to be the better parent if you ask me.

I was a bit surprised, not by the time travel side effects, but that Umbridge would be a supporter of the dark Lord. Sure, she was an evil toad in the books, but she was in hard-core denial about his return, not a secret supporter. She would be to sort to convert once she saw that she was in the losing side though, so I guess it isn't really out of character. As to the return of Voldemort, yeaahh... I saw that coming from miles away.

As how it might have happened, probably some major intimidation and loss of hope after Harry's death. He was pretty much the front of the entire rebellion. I can see people giving up and just accepting that they couldn't win after that. Maybe one or two people tried to off him, but no one knew about the Horcruxes(?) at that point, Harry probably didn't get a chance to tell anyone else, so he'd keep returning from the dead, making him seem even more invincible.

I do not like who Harry has turned into. It isn't like we haven't seen hints of this before, but that was when he was under great stress and at his wits end. I do not see justification for it now. Ginny's sole role seems to be to temper Harry. Her relationship with her kids isn't explored, and that's a shame. Especially when she seems to be a stay-at-home mom (or did I read over a reference to a career?). I agree with the people before me saying Ron has been relegated to comic relief. I do like who Hermione has turned into, pre-timey-whimey stuff. We don't see much of her, but it seems she made her own way in the world. No longer Harry's sidekick.

Definitely Draco putting Harry in his place.

message 43: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 1082 comments Discussion questions 3 September: Act two

6. Bane: “There is a black cloud around your son, a dangerous black cloud.” Could this divination by the centaurs mean that Albus is the cursed child from the title of this book? Can you think of another explanation?

It certainly seems that way. I think Harry's handling of the situation (which was TERRIBLE) didn't cause the black cloud to go away because I think the father/son relationship they have *was* the black cloud. I think if Harry had been a bit more understanding, they would be fixing the kids' previous mistake instead of them traipsing off to try and fix it themselves. I mean... geez, Harry. What were you thinking?!

Oh, he is his father's son. Gets a reckless idea which may end in disaster but could fix all the things? Let's do it without consulting anyone ever! Except he doesn't have a Hermione around to tell him he's being an idiot. Scorpius tries, but he's not very good at standing up to his best friend. He's rash like his father, but has a good heart like his father. They are too similar. I think that's why they clash so much. They see the worst of themselves in each other.

Yes. So much yes. Harry needed a severe talking to and I'm kinda glad Draco was the one to do it. I don't think Harry would have listened to Ginny or any of his friends to try and talk some sense into him. To hear it from someone like Draco I think was the key.

9. O, o Voldemort Day?!?! What happened here? Umbridge Headmistress of Hogwarts? How did that happen? Guesses?

Maybe Cedric lives, turns evil because of all the relentless teasing and being compared to the famous Harry Potter, joins forces with Voldy and gives him just the edge he needs to win. Honestly, I have no clue...

Before or after the Dynamic Duo screwed everything up royally? I do like how the characters turned out because it's believable. Although Harry really needs to get over himself. Sheesh.

When Scorpius tells Albus off in the library. He so had that coming to him!

message 44: by Kerri (last edited Sep 03, 2016 04:33PM) (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 1082 comments Nihlaeth wrote: "Especially when she seems to be a stay-at-home mom (or did I read over a reference to a career?)."

Ginny edits the sports section of The Daily Prophet. I agree with you, though, that she seems to only be there to make Harry less awful.

message 45: by Nihlaeth (new)

Nihlaeth | 15 comments Kerri wrote: "Nihlaeth wrote: "Especially when she seems to be a stay-at-home mom (or did I read over a reference to a career?)."

Ginny edits the sports section of The Daily Prophet. I agree with you, though, t..."

Sorry about that, I read another book since finishing act two this morning, so it was not entirely fresh in my mind. I got impatient waiting for the questions (sometimes being in a different time zone sucks).

message 46: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors from the play. How about you?
Reading the play has been better than I thought. It sure moves along. I like it. The characters do appear to me as they did in the movie. But I only saw the first one, so I get to make my own older versions.

No, I don't know what it was supposed to be about.

I agree. I like that he is not just a carbon copy of his dad. I also like that there is some tension there, although I am hoping for a happy ending.

I suppose that would change everything like in Back to the Future. Nothing in the present would be the same.

I like it more than I thought I would.

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessyann84) | 26 comments Discussion questions 3 September: Act two

I don’t think the black cloud around Albus means he is the cursed child. I often used the black cloud phrase when describing a co-workers unhappy, soul-sucking, behavior in the office. To me, Albus is extremely unhappy, maybe even depressed and this is what I think Bane was referring to in his divination.

I agree with you that Harry and Albus are the same when it comes to how much they care about and would do anything for their friends. However, I think the similarities end there.

Yes, I think Draco is right. If Harry and Albus continue in this direction there is potential for Albus to go the route that Tom Riddle did.

Definitely hard to say how this happened, other than Cedric did something to set this all in motion.

Harry has gotten very moody in his old age, which is surprising. I’m not surprised that Hermione is the Minister of Magic, but I wonder how she can stay married to Ron, who is more of a joke than anything. I am most impressed with Draco, who has shown growth in a more positive way than the other three. He is a completely different person than when he was younger and this can also be seen in the kindness of his son.

The very last scene! Umbridge…..WHAT?!?!?!?

message 48: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Nihlaeth wrote: "1. Have you read many plays? Do you find it easy/difficult to read and imagine the stage production? I'm still picturing Hermoine, Ron and Harry as the actors from the film rather than these actors..."

I agree with your answer to number 2. The only reason I bought the book was for this discussion. And that was because I knew I would never be able to get it from the library. I could have easily left this on the shelf. But I am pleasantly surprised so far.

message 49: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 6. Bane: “There is a black cloud around your son, a dangerous black cloud.” Could this divination by the centaurs mean that Albus is the cursed child from the title of this book? Can you think of another explanation?
I think you might be right. I thought maybe it was Scorpius, but that would make more sense.

I suppose. I read the books so long ago and I am not a rereader. Albus just seems like he needs to grow up.

8. Wow, Harry getting advice on how to raise his son from Draco. Do you think Draco is right in what he said to Harry (Act 2, scene 15)? I think that people need support, and good support. So yes I agree. One of the most basic human needs is to belong.

Ewwww Yuck! I am a teacher and Umbridge is the character that stood out to me most in this series. She is the reminder that a bad teacher can have a huge negative impact on students, other teachers and entire institutions. Teachers need to be careful So I hope that they get that one fixed and fast!

I liked the first Ron, but the others seem so serious!

I liked the ending. It leaves me excited to read the next part.

message 50: by Claudia (last edited Sep 03, 2016 10:47PM) (new)

Claudia | 435 comments Discussion questions 3 September: Act two

I kind of liked the explanation Draco gave Harry that maybe the darkness around Albus is his loneliness and his anger. I especially like how he inferred that Voldermort had it too and never made it out of that dark lonely place. I can totally see how Draco’s explanation could explain the dark cloud around Albus. I think Albus could totally be the cursed child but with the curse being something Albus inflicted on himself.

Oh I definitely think that Albus and Harry are a lot more alike than they think they are. I also think that the fact that their personality is very much the same is the reason they have so many problem communication. They’re both stubborn, both stick up for what their friends who are the underdog, scorned and misunderstood by the general population, and both seem to be horrible brats during puberty.

I totally think that Draco was right in what he said to Harry and it was something that he needed to hear.

Crazy time travel hijinks have destroyed the world. It is confirmed messing with time will totally lead to erasing yourself from existence. Nice going Albus. Though I’m at a loss on how saving Cedric causes Harry to lose the war. Maybe the resurrection of Voldermort without Cedric being killed off makes things worse for Harry?

Are we talking pre time travel hijinks or after time travel hijinks? Pretime travel hijinks Ran and Hermione are awesome and totally what I pictured them ending up. Hermione is the Minister of Magic with a weaponized library and that’s awesome. Ron was more like wait what happened there? He’s a lot goofier than he ever was in the books. IT’s kind of weird.

After time travel hijinks Ron and Hermione was just strange. Padma and Ron get married and have a son named Panju? That’s just so weird but hilarious. And Hermione being the future incarnation of Professor Snape was even worse even if she didn’t get with Ron I couldn’t understand how she turned out so mean.

My favorite scene was when Scorpius called Albus out about the chip on his shoulder and was like oh boohoo you have daddy issues so what the rest of us have it worse. I also like how he pointed out what a bad friend Albus was and gave him that much needed reality check. It also paralleled really well with Draco calling Harry out as well.

« previous 1 3 4 5