What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Moon on the Water
This topic is about The Moon on the Water
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 1970s carousel horse that runs away to the sea. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Moriarty | 4 comments Trying to trace a children's book from the 1970s that I remember was on Jackanory. The story runs: Two carousel horses need to escape from the carousel, they have various adventures until something sad happens to one of them, then the other one escapes and runs off to the sea to join the white horses that run on the waves.

I remember my best friend from school, who was almost illiterate, desperately wanted to read it, my mother and I went to the library to look for it for her but of course they didn't have it. I still think of her, and would like to find the book finally!

message 2: by Holly (last edited Aug 10, 2016 04:31PM) (new)

message 3: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 214 comments There are a number of topics where people are looking for books with carousel horses that come to life. Maybe your book has been mentioned in one of them:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/comme...

message 4: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa (lissyhead) | 30 comments I want to know this one!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Moriarty | 4 comments It could very well be, as I see it was issued by BBC books under the Jackanory imprint.

If anyone could fill out the story I would be grateful as there's much chance of finding a reading copy now as the cheapest anywhere was £127! (I did do search the of topics for 'carousel' but didn't get a result)

message 6: by Ari (new)

Ari | 39 comments Check worldCAT to see if it's available at a library near you.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Moriarty | 4 comments I'm fortunate in being a member of the Bodleian in Oxford, you've reminded me to order it up to have a look at finally. I'm sure it is the title I remember (it's even being advertised on AbeBooks as 'Jackanory Title'!)

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36033 comments Mod
Elizabeth, would you like us to mark your request as Solved or Possibly Solved? What is the book's title and author on Goodreads?

message 9: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 27, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Elizabeth Moriarty | 4 comments Yes, I'm sure it's the one. The Bod has it listed as :

The moon on the water
Warner Hooke, Nina | Parkins, David
1982 | London : Methuen Children's | 138

(This must be their edition, as the p/b is listed with a publication date of 1975)

message 10: by Kris (last edited Dec 27, 2018 12:32PM) (new)

Kris | 36033 comments Mod
Great. Thanks for confirming Holly's find, Elizabeth.