Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Propose standalone novel group reads and schedule here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Just starting the conversation.

message 2: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks Scott :-)

message 3: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Nice!

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
For whatever people come up with, I am really excited. I need a book that does not force me to create a reading schedule for the next six months because of subsequent books in the series.

message 5: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Jenna wrote: "For whatever people come up with, I am really excited. I need a book that does not force me to create a reading schedule for the next six months because of subsequent books in the series."

IKR! I am tired of waiting on series releases or committing to reading 14 books or more lol. I am looking forward to the selections.

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Bajen wrote: "Jenna wrote: "For whatever people come up with, I am really excited. I need a book that does not force me to create a reading schedule for the next six months because of subsequent books in the ser..."

Exactly! I'm willing to wait for series and I'm willing to read 14 books or more, but not EVERY time.

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

To get the ball rolling, I'll add a couple stand-alones I read and enjoyed. Hopefully, other people add some ideas so I can join in a new read, but if any of these look interesting to you, I've also included the rating I gave it:

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson 5* (it says Elantris, #1, but the story is all wrapped up at the end)
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson 5* (same situation as Elantris)
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 4*
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman 4*
The Builders by Daniel Polansky 4*

Others that were mentioned in the other discussion that I have not read, but will move here to have all the nominations in the same place:

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
The Folding Knife by K.J. Parker
Uprooted by Naomi Novik

If there are partners/groups that want to read different books, that's fine. There does not have to be only one stand-alone buddy read happening at a time.

message 8: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3588 comments Mod
I would definitely be keen on both the Neil Gaiman ones. I own both, but haven't got around to reading them.

It would be great to read some standalones as it will be a nice breather from reading series books.

message 9: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments My preferences are Stardust and The Folding Knife but I'm game to read any or all of the above, except for The Builders. That one makes me think of Watership Down somehow, which story absolutely terrified me as a child (don't laugh).

message 10: by Bajen (new)

Bajen I have not read a Neil Gaiman book yet. I will be willing to jump into one soon enough.

message 11: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Just adding couple of suggestions:

The Princess Bride
Beyond Redemption
The Rithmatist

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Samir wrote: "Just adding couple of suggestions:

The Princess Bride
Beyond Redemption
The Rithmatist"

I would be down to read any of these - they're all on my to-read shelf and I own The Rithmatist.

message 13: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments The more we chat about this topic, the more we find books to add to the list!
Would it make sense to make a poll and decide then? Or should this be a more "independent" read and whoever is in for a suggested book and schedule, goes for it?
Today I feel very helpful by annoying the world with possibly obvious solutions... Apologies for that...

message 14: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I was thinking the same thing Aristea, to maybe make a poll to decide..

message 15: by Bajen (new)

Bajen I think a poll would be helpful with the decision at hand.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Aug 01, 2016 03:25AM) (new)

I think it would be easier for somebody to create a new thread in this folder for a book they absolutely want to read in the near future and set a proposed schedule. But if people are set on a poll we can do that.

message 17: by Bajen (new)

Bajen So instead of all of us reading the same at once, we can arrange for separate buddies reads?

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Bajen wrote: "So instead of all of us reading the same at once, we can arrange for separate buddies reads?"

Yes. I don't expect everybody is going to have the same schedule. People may have already read the books. Plus even if I can't join and read the book later I can add to the thread and read existing notes.

message 19: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I'm with Scott on this one. No one is going to want to read the same book - either because of interest or the fact that they have already read some. Go ahead and set up your own discussion in this folder for the one you most want to read.

message 20: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I decided to read Stardust in November and The Rithmatist in December. Is there interest to have discussion folders for these novels?

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Dani wrote: "I decided to read Stardust in November and The Rithmatist in December. Is there interest to have discussion folders for these novels?"

Just create a new topic in the standalone section like I did with crucible of souls.

I'm in for the Rithmatist 100%. Stardust it depends. I already own two of his books I got on one day sales but haven't read them yet.

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 01, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

Dani wrote: "I decided to read Stardust in November and The Rithmatist in December. Is there interest to have discussion folders for these novels?"

I just read Stardust a few weeks ago so I'll chat with you as you go. I'd be interested in reading The Rithmatist.

message 23: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Glad to know I'm not the only one who buys books faster than she can read :-)

message 24: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 01, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Dani wrote: "Glad to know I'm not the only one who buys books faster than she can read :-)"

I have a lot of books I own and haven't read yet...almost half to-read shelf. It's a problem.

message 25: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments But you and several others of this group manage to uphold a reading pace I can only dream of. You just finished your second bingo challenge spot!
I on the other hand am sure this bingo challenge list is going to occupy me for at least a year. Not that I'm bothered much by that fact, but I just wish I could work less and read more ;-)

message 26: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "But you and several others of this group manage to uphold a reading pace I can only dream of. You just finished your second bingo challenge spot!
I on the other hand am sure this bingo challenge l..."

It's partly because I have a very open schedule right now. Usually, I'm not able to read this much. I'm sure the bingo challenge will take me a long time to complete. For now, I'm just filling it where I can, but when you get far enough, you have to read books for the purpose of the challenge which I am not good at.

message 27: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Well that is great and I envy you for it. I'm lucky if I achieve half a day's reading in a week.

I am almost done with making a list that gives me several choices for each spot. This way I can find something that is sure to fit my mood and will hopefully prevent the 'reading for the purpose of the challenge'. That's the up side of my huge tbr shelf. The only spot that is giving me a headache is the one with the author under 25 at time of publishing.

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "The only spot that is giving me a headache is the one with the author under 25 at time of publishing.
"

I tried to make it as flexible as possible, but for that one I was just about running out of ideas...

message 29: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I can imagine. You came up with so many!
I also have just one novel for the unlikely friendship spot. Any suggestions (besides Riyria)?

message 30: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Dani wrote: "I can imagine. You came up with so many!
I also have just one novel for the unlikely friendship spot. Any suggestions (besides Riyria)?"

The Blade Itself

message 31: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 01, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Dani wrote: "I can imagine. You came up with so many!
I also have just one novel for the unlikely friendship spot. Any suggestions (besides Riyria)?"

Hmm, some others that come to mind:

Prince of Fools
The Lies of Locke Lamora (while they don't argue all the time like Hadrian and Royce, Locke and Jean are very different)
Scourge of the Betrayer (they aren't really friends, but they are complete opposites and they travel together)

Not sure if you've read these or not, but I'll post it for the benefit of others as well.

message 32: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, thanks Samir but that is exactly the one I had written down. Do you have any more?

message 33: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4274 comments Dani wrote: "I can imagine. You came up with so many!

I think Raithe and Malcolm in Age of Myth would fit the unlikely friends spot, or Blackthorn and Grim from The Dreamer's Pool

message 34: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Dani wrote: "Haha, thanks Samir but that is exactly the one I had written down. Do you have any more?"

:) How about Six of Crows or Half a King or A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms?

message 35: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4274 comments Samir wrote: "Dani wrote: "Haha, thanks Samir but that is exactly the one I had written down. Do you have any more?"

:) How about Six of Crows or Half a King or [book:A Knight of..."

Oh yeah Six of Crows would work. Lots of unlikely friendships in that one.

message 36: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Great suggestions, thanks a lot. I had never heard of The Dreamer's Pool but it sounds interesting so that's going to be added to the ever-growing tbr pile and Six of Crows was already on the YA list.
As for the others: I'm going to read the First Law trilogy first and I'm holding off on ASOIAF novels until the tvshow is done.

message 37: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I'm really anxious to get to read the Gentleman Bastard series, so this is good news I could fit this into the unlikely friendship category! Thanks Jenna.

I now have 4 suggestions for this spot; awesome! Thanks everyone!!

message 38: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Would anyone like to read The Lions of Al-Rassan with me in late September or October?

message 39: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3588 comments Mod
I could in October?

message 40: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "I could in October?"

October sounds good.

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

If you do it the end of October I'll be in. Something the 20th or later.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments Dani wrote: "and I'm holding off on ASOIAF novels until the tvshow is done..."

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is actually a prequel that takes place 80 or so years before the main series. It's actually a collection of 3 novellas. These would give you a taste of his writing without committing you to the full series until later. I have to warn you though, "The Hedge Knight", the first story, was my first Martin. I immediately ran out and bought the first 2 ASOIAF books (the only ones available at the time) and I've been hooked ever since.

Just food for thought.

message 43: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, thanks for the warning, but that ship has already sailed; the first five novels of ASOIAF are already tempting me on a regular basis from my bookshelf....
that's why I'm not allowing myself to read (i.e. buy) any more...

message 44: by Dani (last edited Aug 06, 2016 11:23AM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Samir wrote: "Dani wrote: I also have just one novel for the unlikely friendship spot. Any suggestions (besides Riyria)?"
The Blade Itself"

I started The Blade Itself yesterday. Only 7 chapters in but I like it a lot so far.

message 45: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Dani wrote:

I started The Blade Itself yesterday. Only..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :) The First Law trilogy is my favourite finished series.

message 46: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments It'll be a while before I finish it :-)

message 47: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Take your time and enjoy :)

message 48: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "If you do it the end of October I'll be in. Something the 20th or later."

We didn't decide a date yet, but I will set up a discussion.

message 49: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Look forward to discussing it! :-)

message 50: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I'd be willing to do any of these as a standalone starting on the 20th. Some are first books in series but we did well with A Crucible of Souls in this format.

The Girl with All the Gifts
The Young Elites
The Archived
Half a King
Hyperion
Age of Iron
Cinder
The Darkest Minds
Falling Kingdoms

All books I bought on Kindle sales for $2.99 or less that I'd love to start.

« previous 1 3