Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Proposed schedule for Mistborn

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I'm starting starting the thread because there was interest. I've read books 1-3. Perhaps when people get to 4 I'll join.

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I've read all the Mistborn books that are out, but I will talk about them - especially when you get to era 2 of mistborn.

message 3: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments This is a series I most certainly want to read - and I have not started yet! Provided that I have sooooo many books to read, having a buddy read is usually a great way to get readings done so I am open to start with it (maybe in September though!).
Anyone else would like to join?

message 4: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments And thanks to Scott and Jenna for setting this one up (sorry, my manners are a bit shaky when I am quickly writing a note - speed and mindlessness are the death of good manners!!).

message 5: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I am interested but simply cannot fit another series into my schedule before next year. Maybe I'll catch up with you somewhere along the line. A girl can dream.

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Aristea wrote: "And thanks to Scott and Jenna for setting this one up (sorry, my manners are a bit shaky when I am quickly writing a note - speed and mindlessness are the death of good manners!!)."

This one was all Scott, but I'll take some credit and say thank you. ;)

message 7: by Ilyas (new)

Ilyas | 17 comments I'm down for it. I've read half of The Way of Kings and quite enjoy Sanderson's style thus far, plus I've heard amazing things about Mistborn's magic system in particular.
I've been meaning to read this for quite a while now, maybe this'll kick me into gear...

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments I'm reading the first one right now. I have a question for anyone that's read the first trilogy. Without spoilers does the second book follow the same storyline as the first? I don't want to read the summaries in case they spoil something. I had read some people saying the second book isn't as good as the first and third because it gets away from the interesting storyline of those two.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Oct 05, 2016 09:27PM) (new)

Eric wrote: "I'm reading the first one right now. I have a question for anyone that's read the first trilogy. Without spoilers does the second book follow the same storyline as the first? I don't want to read t..."

Yes. The first three are the same storyline, but it's a very "middle" book - a lot of filler and setting up. Alloy of Law is the first of the era 2 books which is in the same world, but 200(I think) years later.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Oct 06, 2016 02:52AM) (new)

I've read the first three. When you get to book four and era two I'll join in.

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

And I'll join whenever the new era two book comes out :)

message 12: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4274 comments I think I might join you when you get to book 3. I still haven't read that one and haven't found the motivation to pick it up on my own.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Iam half way through the first book and loving it

message 14: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4274 comments Jarek wrote: "Iam half way through the first book and loving it"

I loved the first book too.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments There's something about how he writes his characters....iam connecting with them I feel for them...its amazing

message 16: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4274 comments Jarek wrote: "There's something about how he writes his characters....iam connecting with them I feel for them...its amazing"

Yes he's very good at that. I think it's why I liked Elantris so much despite it being very slow.

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments Yea I also felt elantris was slow at times but I loved it because of the characters. Im about 80% done with the final empire and I haven't felt it was slow at all and I really like the characters.

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments I've been reading the annotations on Sanderson's website and they are really interesting. It's amazing how much thought goes into some of the small details. For instance during one of the chapters it mentions limelights were used to light up the stained glass windows. He was originally going to write that fire was used but then he ran into the issue of whether that would provide adequate illumination and whether the heat would damage the glass.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I have also read elantris and like the others I did feel it dragged at times but overall the story and characters where reply interesting. At the same time you do get the feel that it was one of the first written by Sanderson. The final empire on the other hand has all of that minus the slowness. For me at least:)

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

My impression of Elantris was that it was Mistborn on a smaller scale. I was never bored or thought it dragged but it wasn't Stormlight Archives. I gave Elantris and the first three MB all 4*'s as I did the first book of the Reckoners. Both Stormlight books were beyond 5* in my mind. Perfect State is a short story I gave 5*'s which is really rare. I cannot believe how complete of a story he fit into such a small space and had a nice twist in the end.

message 21: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments Scott wrote: "My impression of Elantris was that it was Mistborn on a smaller scale. I was never bored or thought it dragged but it wasn't Stormlight Archives. I gave Elantris and the first three MB all 4*'s as ..."

Have you read The Emperor's Soul yet? That's my favourite short/novella from him to date.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ive read a couple days ago and also tought it was great. So much stuff packed into so little pages and a completely new magic system:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Storm light archives are in a league of their own so far as Iam concerned:)

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

TS wrote: "Have you read The Emperor's Soul yet? That's my favourite short/novella from him to date. ."

Not yet. He has his new anthology out and it's in there with a lot of other things i haven't read yet.

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jarek wrote: "Storm light archives are in a league of their own so far as Iam concerned:)"

For me it's Malazan and Stormlight and then there's everything else. Nothing else has approached the scope and level of detail.

message 26: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Jarek wrote: "Storm light archives are in a league of their own so far as Iam concerned:)"

For me it's Malazan and Stormlight and then there's everything else. Nothing else has approached the scop..."

I really liked Stormlight Archives, but it's not on the same level as Malazan in my opinion.

I rated the Mistborn series all 5* because at the time I read them, they were just a perfect fit for what I was looking to read. If I went back and read them, I would probably rate them lower, but I usually rate books based on what I thought and felt when I read them rather than when I think back and criticize more. Not saying the second way of rating is wrong, but I just rate based on how much I enjoyed my experience at the time I read it.

Personally, I like the Mistborn era 2 books better than the first era.

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

TS wrote: "Have you read The Emperor's Soul yet? That's my favourite short/novella from him to date. "

I really need to read this one seeing as how I've read almost all of his other Cosmere books.

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "I really liked Stormlight Archives, but it's not on the same level as Malazan in my opinion.."

Yes Malazan is #1 but Stormlight once you factor in the complexities of the Cosmere, the gods, shards, world hopping.........it's second but closer to #1 than it is #3. Honestly I don't even know what I'd rank 3rd.

message 29: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I really liked Stormlight Archives, but it's not on the same level as Malazan in my opinion.."

Yes Malazan is #1 but Stormlight once you factor in the complexities of the Cosmere, th..."

In terms of scope and level of detail, perhaps Wheel of Time? I am not a big fan though.

message 30: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I really liked Stormlight Archives, but it's not on the same level as Malazan in my opinion.."

Yes Malazan is #1 but Stormlight once you factor in the complexities of the Cosmere, th..."

Or game of thrones?

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Eric wrote: "Or game of thrones?"

The first three books were amazing. The 4th book it started to fade for me. I still haven't read #5. I'll probably have to re-read #4 then read #5 but I'm waiting for #6 to come out.

message 32: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Haven't read Stormlight yet but if it's in the same category as Malazan then daaamn.. I'm excited!

As for mistborn, yeah era 1 was amazing and epic, but to me era 2 is right up my alley. For some reason the combo of Sherlock/Wild West theme with allomancy/feruchemy is perfect to me. The characters are better.. i.e./Wayne is hilarious, Steris is my new hero basically. I think Breeze and Elend were my faves from the first era.

Ps Jarek... I noticed your legal name change to Jarek "the mistborn" couldn't help but smile and I'm happy you love it :)

My fave will always be Lord of the Rings. I even have some of the '78 calendar pages framed in my house... don't laugh cause they're beautiful! I kind of caught myself listening to the Nazgul orchestral theme yesterday cause I'm gonna start Deadhouse Gates soon and I was looking for music to pump me up for that.

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Lord of the Rings sadly has become classic rock to me, sadly. I've read it 6 times, seen the movies and cartoon versions many times. It's still enjoyable but unfortunately it's been overplayed. That said it is the grand daddy of them all and deserves it's due.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Yeah Margaret I couldn't help myself with the name;)

message 35: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments I finished the first book and am starting the second book tonight. I really liked it. I wasn't expecting so much closure for the first book in a trilogy.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Just finished the first book. Wow...i mean....i didn't see some things coming at all. The story was amazing, the characters extremely relatable. World building...epic. On to book 2 :D

message 37: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments For the first book. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Eric wrote: "For the first book. [spoilers removed]"

After you finish the main trilogy, you should try Secret History. I won't comment on anything you said because I already know what happened, but perhaps Jarek has some theories as well.

message 39: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments Jenna wrote: "Eric wrote: "For the first book. [spoilers removed]"

After you finish the main trilogy, you should try Secret History. I won't comment on anything you said because I already know w..."

Yea I pre-ordered the arcanum unbounded book that comes out in November. That includes it right? I also want to read the two elantris shorts which are in it also.

message 40: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Eric wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Eric wrote: "For the first book. [spoilers removed]"

After you finish the main trilogy, you should try Secret History. I won't comment on anything you said because I ..."

Yes it's in there.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Well iam also thinking who it might be. At this point for me it's either sazed or vin. Being a 100 pages in to the second book iam more inclined towards vin though. There's still so many unknowns. By the way, emperors soul which will be in Arcanum is pretty cool with a new magic system;)