ONTD Book Club discussion

Monthly Suggestions > August Suggestions - Unreliable Narrators

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Aug 01, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
Let's get twisty and confused for the end of summer heat and madness.

An unreliable narrator is a narrator, whether in literature, film, or theatre, whose credibility has been seriously compromised...
Sometimes the narrator's unreliability is made immediately evident. A more dramatic use of the device delays the revelation until near the story's end. This twist ending forces readers to reconsider their point of view and experience of the story. In some cases the narrator's unreliability is never fully revealed but only hinted at, leaving readers to wonder how much the narrator should be trusted and how the story should be interpreted.

Lolita tends to be the go-to example people use. (We've already* done that as a group read.)

Here is a list of some others: http://flavorwire.com/410468/10-of-li....

Nominate away and we'll vote soon.

*To check to see if we've already read a book, check the bookshelf, and use the search box. https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 2: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
I've just read it but Girl On the Train is a good one for this!

message 3: by Amy B (new)

Amy B (blackicebooks) | 51 comments This is a great theme idea- but I have no nomination to add.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments Wigs wrote: "I've just read it but Girl On the Train is a good one for this!"

Came here to add The Girl on The Train!

message 5: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) I nominate You

message 6: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments Atonement (note i don't know for sure this book has an unreliable narrator since i haven't read it but goodreads seems to think so)

message 7: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (bindingthepages) Alyssa wrote: "Atonement (note i don't know for sure this book has an unreliable narrator since i haven't read it but goodreads seems to think so)"

I've read this twice and there's a couple unreliable narrators.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Atonement has been on my to-read list for ages. I even checked it out earlier this year and flaked on reading it.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Didn't we already do The Girl On The Train? (I'm on my phone, and can't check.)

message 10: by Wigs (new)

Ah apparently it was last july 2015

i had no memory of this clearly as I did not read it then

message 11: by Mia (new)

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments I'm so glad The Great Gatsby was on that list, studying that in class people thought it was just straight up realistic. I think any 1st person is sometimes unreliable, but I nominate A Clockwork Orange, I guess? Been on my to-read forever.

message 12: by Wigs (new)

Clockwork orange was great, best to buy a copy with a glossary for the made up words in the back, or using one online while you read. Mad that my ex from college still has my copy but ah well.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 45 comments Lolita was the Set 2013 selection for ONTD book club.

How about The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

or We Were Liars by E Lockhart We Were Liars?

message 14: by Jess (new)

We Were Liars is in my "nightstand" collection on my Kindle. I have a few library books I am trying to finish first. I've heard that the book has some interesting descriptions of migraines.

message 15: by Aesha (new)

Aesha (aesha_) | 14 comments It looks like The Dinner falls into this category... maybe that would finally get me to read the book (which I've been avoiding since I read it compared to Gone Girl). Also, Sometimes a Great Notion, which I've never read and since Kesey is one of the most well-known figures in my hometown I always feel guilty about never having read anything by him.

message 16: by Jess (new)

This will remain open until Thursday!

message 17: by Idris (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
I think we did The Great Gatsby a million years ago but I still nominated that. I also nominate Wuthering Heights because I've never actually managed to get through it before, so why not? Lastly by not least, American Psycho.