The Sword and Laser discussion

The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)
This topic is about The Time Traders
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #263 - When to Judge a Book by its Cover

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1729 comments Mod
We're excited about American Gods. We have mixed feelings about Time Traders. And we definitely understand why you might have to judge a book by its cover, but there's a good reason to try not to. Except in one particular case.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2016/7/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/6154124...

message 2: by Phil (last edited Jul 27, 2016 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil | 1185 comments Good show guys!
A few comments:
1. A good alternative to The Big Book Of Science Fiction as a pick would be The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 at about half the length and 26 stories albeit all older pre-Nebula but well known ones.
2. The first book of the Amber series Nine Princes in Amber is very short and would also be a good pick some time.
3. Veronica must have got the free Kindle version of Time Traders which included the second book without actually stating that.
4. I could bet money on Tom saying he loves every book we read or at least some aspect of it.

message 3: by Sean Lookielook (last edited Jul 26, 2016 11:06PM) (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments For those interested in the Vaginal Fantasy pick Veronica mentioned, it's Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon. You can follow the group discussions here. (A Court of Thorns and Roses is this month's alt pick).

V remembered correctly. Rhapsody was picked by VF co-host Kiala Kazebee. If you want to read it before the live August 2nd Hangout discussion, however, you'd better get started. The book is 656 pages long.
Rhapsody Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1) by Elizabeth Haydon

message 4: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Phil wrote: "1. A good alternative to The Big Book Of Science Fiction as a pick would be The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 at about half the length and 27 stories albeit all older pre-Hugo but well known ones."

Another option would be Dangerous Visions, edited by Harlan Ellison. 33 stories, at 595 pages.

message 5: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1159 comments Mod
Phil wrote: "Good show guys!
A few comments:
1. A good alternative to The Big Book Of Science Fiction as a pick would be The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 at about half the length and 27 ..."

Love the anthology suggestions from you and Louie!

And yes I probably will fulfill your prediction in number 4.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2331 comments Phil wrote: "Good show guys!
A few comments:
1. A good alternative to The Big Book Of Science Fiction as a pick would be The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 at about half the length and 27 ..."

I so desperately, desperately want those on Kindle.

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments The podcast helped me realize that I'd rated Time Traders about 1 star too highly, so I've adjusted it downward now.

I picked up The Big Book of Science Fiction because I'm a huge Vandermeer fan, and it hasn't disappointed so far. I'm taking breaks every few stories to read other things in between, because it definitely lives up to the name, it is BIG. The introduction by the Vandermeers is a substantial re-cap and re-write of the history of a century of science fiction. They give credit to feminist sf and international sf as being part of the main arc of science fiction's progress, and downplay the 20s-40s pulp era that normally hogs the spotlight.

With 100 stories there are definitely things that are to one's taste and things that aren't, but I would love it if it was a pick for the month.

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean | 355 comments Bringing this up because it's being discussed in the August pick thread:

Andrzej is not pronounced the same way as Andre. Replace the "r" sound in Andre with a "j/zh" sound (Behind The Name gives it as "AHND-zhay") and you'll have it.

message 9: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1159 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "Bringing this up because it's being discussed in the August pick thread:

Andrzej is not pronounced the same way as Andre. Replace the "r" sound in Andre with a "j/zh" sound (Behind The Name gives ..."

I went with how the audiobook pronounced it.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2331 comments If you do want to go with an actual tie-in at some point in the future, might I suggest The Man of Gold by M.A.R. Barker? Originally published by DAW in the 1980s, but recently rereleased. Set in his world of Tekumel, which is possibly my favorite imaginary world ever.

www.tekumel.com

Joyce (eternity21) | 181 comments Sean wrote: "For those interested in the Vaginal Fantasy pick Veronica mentioned, it's Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon. You can follow the group discussions here. (A Co..."

I read this book years ago and loved it as well. Yes they are big books. I got to midway through the 3rd novel in series and put it down. For some reason I never picked it up again. I don't know why. I'll have to get back to it. I was surprised to hear that Veronica had not read it and thought it would be perfect for her.

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4222 comments Good show. Great pick. :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I wonder if we should start a discussion thread on The Big Book of Science Fiction. I always buys shiny anthologies and struggle to read them, but I've actually read four of the stories this time so far. I started at the end to fool my brain, and that helped. I think they did a great job at putting in some of what you'd expect and some obscure treats. It makes it very enjoyable to poke around in, but I'd love some company.

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1391 comments I know Rob had got Tom talking about Thrawn appearance in Star Wars Rebels , but you need to watch this to see why it is a big thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBVhB...
it starts at the 18th minute, but the whole thing is cool.
Can I state that it is a great time to be a Star Wars Fan ,
Oct 11th Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston , Nov 15th Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel by James Luceno who wrote IMHO the best Star wars novel Tarkin and finally April 11 2017 a great injustice is righted, Timothy Zahn Star Wars: Thrawn is released without all those troubling story arc that appear in the 1990s Thrawn Trilogy.

message 15: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2554 comments Sean wrote: "For those interested in the Vaginal Fantasy pick Veronica mentioned, it's Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon. You can follow the group discussions here. (A Co..."

I have that on my Kindle. It was a daily deal a month or so back. Glad to hear that it's a pretty good read.

message 16: by Darren (new)

Darren Sean wrote: "Bringing this up because it's being discussed in the August pick thread:

Andrzej is not pronounced the same way as Andre. Replace the "r" sound in Andre with a "j/zh" sound (Behind The Name gives ..."

This is how you drop it?

message 17: by Sean (new)

Sean | 355 comments I posted that the day the episode came out, and haven't said a word since being asked to drop the subject.

message 18: by Darren (new)

Darren Sean wrote: "I posted that the day the episode came out, and haven't said a word since being asked to drop the subject."

My bad, then.

message 19: by Qc (new)

Qc | 3 comments Sean wrote: "For those interested in the Vaginal Fantasy pick Veronica mentioned, it's Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon. You can follow the group discussions here. (A Co..."

Start even sooner and read the whole trilogy!

I'm so with Veronica on this one, loved Rhapsody and had begun to wonder if I dreamed it because I couldn't find fantasy-reading friends who'd heard of it. (Obviously I didn't look very far, because internet has heard of everything).

And re: world building, having discussed in the last couple months the extent of 'Tolkien influence' or race/species tropes in fantasy, Rhapsody does great and varied things without going too far (ie when it's exhausting to read because you can't take mental short cuts of comprehension or visualising)

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I read a bunch of the Rhapsody books back when they started being published. I really liked the series, though I think she's a little too perfect sometimes.

message 21: by Qc (new)

Qc | 3 comments Michele wrote: "I read a bunch of the Rhapsody books back when they started being published. I really liked the series, though I think she's a little too perfect sometimes."

Agreed, although the fact she doesn't believe/ see that of herself mitigates it a lot I reckon.