Play Book Tag discussion

August, 2016: Entertainment > Announcing the August Tag: Share Your Reading Plans and Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments This vote was one of our closest . . .I didn't know which would win until the very, very end. And to my very slight chagrin, the winner is:

entertainment

Please share your reading plans and recommendations below!

Remember, for the regular monthly reads, the book can be shelved as entertainment on Goodreads, or be a book that is not yet shelved that way but you feel should be.

To find books to read for this tag, please visit:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

I think this tag is especially hard to define, so feel free to post what the tag of entertainment means to you . . .that will help the rest of us decide what to read!

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2287 comments Wow!! I thought for sure it was going to be "dark" but, since I don't feel like reading anything dark right now (aren't the recent politics dark enough!) I'm happy to read entertainment! I won't be reading about actors and film-making though. There's a lot more entertainment than that. I'm off to check on my possibilities!

message 3: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Not what I was hoping for. I have one book that will fit, it's a memoir so it would fit this month too but I saved it just in case:

Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist - Michael J. Fox

Recommendations:

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
Bossypants by Tina Fey

There are a lot of books on the GR shelf that I've read - lots of popular YA fiction. Oddly The Kite Runner is there. I recommend the book but would not call it entertainment.

message 4: by Nicole R (last edited Jul 26, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Hmmm...I was also hoping for dark, partly because I have no idea how to define an "entertainment" book.

Maybe I will find a book that has been made into a movie? Or, the new Liane Moriarty book came out today and that would be pure entertainment.

Maybe a book about baseball? Summer sports entertainment.

Oooo...or maybe I will finally read Seabiscuit! Horse racing is totally entertainment AND it was made into a movie.

Or, I could read Hamilton - either the Chernow book or the Manuel version about the Broadway play.

I need to think about this one. How is everyone else defining it?

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3062 comments I think I'll go with Kate's suggestion from the previous discussion and read The Bell Jar. I also have Julie Andrews' memoir Home: A Memoir of My Early Years that I didn't get to this month.

I'm not sure that I have any recommendations for this month. This is not a tag that I would ever use.

message 6: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 26, 2016 10:48AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I just went through the 100 pages of books shelved as Entertainment. I found 25 books tagged as entertainment that I own. This tag is all over the place, it's interesting what people tag as entertainment. Actually the last 75 pages of the shelf had only one or two people using the tag. Anyway I now have a much larger list to use from.

A definite possibility is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers since it is also on the PBT nonfiction list and I own it.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I just went through the 100 pages of books shelved as Entertainment. I found 25 books tagged as entertainment that I own. This tag is all over the place, it's interesting what people tag as enterta..."

I'm mystified. I think some people tagged the book as "entertainment" if it PERSONALLY ENTERTAINED THEM. That's all I can figure.

I'm going to try to go with the definition of "being somehow affiliated with the entertainment industry" . . .and thank goodness, Nicole D indicated that Just Kids was one of her five star reads this year, and that lead me to realize that I do in fact own it.

So reading that.

I have absolutely nothing to recommend lol.

I'm trying not to be too much of a sore loser about dark, lol.

message 8: by Jen (last edited Jul 26, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments that is disappointing (I should have used more votes). Looking through the shelves it seems that pretty much every book is tagged entertainment. So I will just plan to read whatever strikes the mood and then will see if it has the entertainment tag and will probably get a few out if it that way.

Honestly, I find these broad tags to be pretty uninteresting because they don't really challenge us to make an effort in pushing our comfort zone (not just singling out entertainment here since dark was also broad). I could of course impose stricter rules for defining the category on myself and I may do that in the future.

I did like memoirs because I never read them surprised myself by my enjoyment of the category.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Anita wrote: "I'm trying not to be too much of a sore loser about dark, lol.

I failed at that. Fully admit that I'm being a sore loser about it

message 10: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3831 comments I'm also sad 'dark' didn't win.

As far as 'enteratinment' goes, I think I'm going with Anita's route. The word itself, and what is tagged is WAY to vague. I'll be trying to read books that pertain to the "entertainment" industry- ie movies, music, theater, whatnot.

I think I'll read a play, that way it crosses with the Shelfagories Challenge List. Maybe also an actor memoir too.

message 11: by Sara (last edited Jul 26, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I am also going to define entertainment as having to do with the industry in some fashion. I have Harry Potter and the Cursed Child preordered and it will be out just in time for this tag. I can't think of anything more perfect than a play to fit this tag. If I read anythig else for the tag, I will look for a book made into a movie that matches up with either our PBT 100 fiction or non fiction lists.

I am also feeling sore about entertainment over dark.

message 12: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1413 comments Oh wow. I thought dark would win for sure. That's what I voted for. Now, I need to decide if I want to read a book that is entertaining (which could be anything really) or a book about the entertainment industry or written by an entertainer (again could be anyone since authors could technically be entertainers, lol).

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I was hoping for dark, too. Oh well, have to find some books made into movies.

message 14: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: "and thank goodness, Nicole D indicated that Just Kids was one of her five star reads this year, and that lead me to realize that I do in fact own it.
.."

Just Kids is a great read, I read it in 2011 and rated it five stars. I don't see a review posted here, but I am pretty sure I wrote one. Will need to see if I have it in my Word Book Log, thank goodness I write every review in Word first and then copy it into Shelfari (once upon a time) and now here at Goodreads, so I have all my reviews for the past 15 or 16 years.

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Anita wrote: "and thank goodness, Nicole D indicated that Just Kids was one of her five star reads this year, and that lead me to realize that I do in fact own it.
.."

Just Kids is a great read, I..."

Interestingly, I vividly remember you reading it and rating it highly - - and that's why I put it on my TBR and then bought it when it was on sale.

Nicole D reminded me about it though!

message 16: by Anita (last edited Jul 26, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Jen wrote: "that is disappointing (I should have used more votes). Looking through the shelves it seems that pretty much every book is tagged entertainment. So I will just plan to read whatever strikes the moo..."

I like the narrower tags too. I'm working off a list that some kind PBTer (BC or Tien maybe?) pulled together for me. And at the time, we were "moving", so I was just grateful to have a list that actually has removed all the many junk tags (such as ebook) and narrowed to a top 250 that have meaning. But at the end of the year, I'm going to personally revisit and make sure the tags aren't so broad that they also are meaningless. i.e. historical fiction is broad but will certain remain, but a tag like entertainment that isn't being used properly . . .probably not.

All that being said, I always do try to define what counts in my mind and stick to that (as opposed to relying on the tagged book list too heavily) . . .but it is extra hard this month because entertainment has a lot of different meanings really and many things fit within it.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I'm not sure there's much to do about it. I think the GR shelves are more broad than shelfari tags although I think we had some broad ones there too.

I personally like the tags that require us to do some thinking about which books to read rather than tags that fit most of the books on our TBR. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I read for these broad tags. But, it is what it is. I'll most likely find a book that works and will try to stick to a narrower definition to challenge myself a little rather than be a poor sport about it.

Now that I've given some thought, I'll recommend Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates. It's an imagining of Marilyn Monroe's life.

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6280 comments Well ...

I have Alan Cumming's memoir Not My Father's Son cued up ... will probably listen to the audio next week. That should fit perfectly, as it is about an entertainer.

That may be the only one I get to for this tag.

message 19: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments That's a surprise! I was all geared up for dark. Entertainment has me stumped but I'm sure I'll find something.

Anita, Just Kids was a rare memoir that I actually enjoyed.

message 20: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I'll post more tomorrow but I'm going to a midnight release (well 1am because of the time difference between me and England) of HP and the Cursed Child on Sat which will obviously be my first read of August and I'm pretty sure it suits.

message 21: by Nicole D. (last edited Jul 26, 2016 02:27PM) (new)

Nicole D. | 1496 comments I'm going to recommend - for dark entertainment
American Psycho

Also BBC American series Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency comes out in October, so it would be fun (if this is your thing - read: not Anita's) to read these this month.

Freedom is a good choice because one of the dude's is an entertainer

ohhh ... and House of Leaves

I will read something which entertains me (the reality is, I'll probably be sticking to all Man Booker nominees - and Dear and Glorious Physician - because someday I'm going to have to read that)

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Appreciate the special side note, Nicole. Is House of Leaves a fit for entertainment? How so?

message 23: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1496 comments Anita wrote: "Appreciate the special side note, Nicole. Is House of Leaves a fit for entertainment? How so?"

I think they are making a film about the house? Jen, can you confirm?

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Part of the plot around House of Leaves involves a documentary. That is a good recommendation! Clever

message 25: by Jgrace (last edited Jul 26, 2016 02:44PM) (new)

Jgrace | 3062 comments I've been giving it some thought. All of my books entertain me, and as a category, that's too broad. I didn't think I'd read too many books about entertainers or the entertainment industry, but I've come up with a few to recommend:

The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin -The Swans of Fifth Avenue. Truman Capote was an author, but he was also a well known talk show entertainer. This was a good book.

The Marvels by Brian Selznick - The Marvels - Selznicks's wonderful picture story about a London theatrical family and also The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick , The Invention of Hugo Cabret which deals with early moving pictures.

Also, I would think that circuses and carnivals are entertainment so along with The Night Circus, there's the more recent The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler , The Book of Speculation.

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I just started House of Leaves! I'll have to drag it out until August. I ordered it and it was sitting there looking at me so I had to start. It's been so long since I carted a big book around with me. I mostly read eBooks these days but this one needed to be in print.

message 27: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments I'm going to narrow the entertainment tag for myself to 'set at a circus or carnival' -- since a circus or carnival is all about entertainment (in theory anyway). There are several on this goodreads list that interest me:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

I have not yet read The Night Circus.
And I'm also very interested in reading Geek Love and Tipping the Velvet.

I can even recommend one in this more focused category: Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz is set at a carnival and as an added bonus, it fits in the 'dark' category too!

I am never disappointed in the chosen tag. If the tag is narrow, there are still multiple books to choose from, and I like reading some books I wouldn't have necessarily sought out on my own. If the tag is broad, I don't see any problem with challenging myself to read something from a self-chosen subcategory that fits under that tag (like the circus/carnival setting). I just try to have fun with it.

I really love reading dark books too, and weirdly enough, a lot of circus/carnival books tend toward darkness as well, so I feel I may get the best of both out of this category.

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen I'm having a hard time with this tag. I have gone through my list and found lots of things that I think should work for this tag and no one seems to have tagged them as such yet. So I am going to ask for a ruling from the court. First, it would help to know if we are defining "entertainment" as a book that is entertaining to read or a book that features the entertainment industry in some way (i.e. it was written by an actor, it discusses plays or movies or music, etc). What are we thinking?

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen Ladyslott wrote: "Not what I was hoping for. I have one book that will fit, it's a memoir so it would fit this month too but I saved it just in case:

[book:Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist..."

I think the Kite Runner is on there because they made a movie of it. Most of the books on the list that I felt did not work for that tag I realized there were movies of, or movies in the works for.

message 30: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Oooo...I like the suggestions of a carnival or circus setting!! I think I have a few on my TBR that fit that, including a newish release whose name is escaping me...

message 31: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet.

message 32: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8929 comments Anita wrote: "This vote was one of our closest . . .I didn't know which would win until the very, very end. And to my very slight chagrin, the winner is:

entertainment

Please share your reading plans and recom..."

Awwwwww. I, too, was hoping for "dark". Too bad the admins aren't voting! ;-)

message 33: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:41PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1413 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'm having a hard time with this tag. I have gone through my list and found lots of things that I think should work for this tag and no one seems to have tagged them as such yet. So I am going to a..."

I don't think we're defining it at all. It's up to us to define it. I'm still trying to decide how I want to define it. I might read As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes since it's not only about The Princess Bride, but it's written by an actor. Plus, I've heard it's awesome.

message 34: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8929 comments Nicole wrote: "I need to think about this one. How is everyone else defining it? ..."

I haven't yet figured out exactly what I'll read, but initially I did a "tagmash" over at LT to see what has the "entertainment" tag along with my initials. The one book I remember is Cary Elwes' biography, so I may be continuing the biography month...? I'll have to redo my search to see what else comes up.

message 35: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8929 comments Joi wrote: "I'll be trying to read books that pertain to the "entertainment" industry- ie movies, music, theater, whatnot...."

Given the one option I remember, this is likely what I'll be doing, as well. I don't like using someone else's idea of what entertained them as a benchmark.

message 36: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8929 comments Joi wrote: "I think I'll read a play, that way it crosses with the Shelfagories Challenge List. Maybe also an actor memoir too.
..."

A play's a good idea. I just don't think I have any on my tbr, so I might have to think about that. I would like to fill the Shelfagories category, as well.

message 37: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8929 comments Carnival or circus is a great idea, as well! And, yup. Those are often dark, too.

message 38: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments Well, I did not vote for dark because the way my life has been going lately, I have no desire to dip further into darkness. You all have good suggestions about how to define entertainment, I will have to think this through!

message 39: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 556 comments As for recommendations, I would recommend any of the Chelsea Handler books. They are all hilarious.

As for what I read, I may finally crack in to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Other options include Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist or Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

message 40: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 26, 2016 05:27PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments ~*Kim*~ wrote: "As for recommendations, I would recommend any of the Chelsea Handler books. They are all hilarious. ..."

I loved these books, but they are not for everyone. If you like Chelsea's humor you will love these books. If you don't like her you will not like the books. They are filled with sex, alcohol binges, lots of swearing and scatological humor. I find her funny, even if I cringe sometimes so tread carefully

message 41: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 556 comments Ladyslott wrote:

I loved these books, but they are not for everyone. If you l..."

True, her humor is definitely crude.

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I would recommend The Circle by Dave Eggers. It was an interesting dystopia novel about the loss of privacy through constantly taping everything you do and displaying it on social media. Plus it is being made into a movie!

message 43: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments ~*Kim*~ wrote: "Ladyslott wrote:

I loved these books, but they are not for everyone. If you l..."

True, her humor is definitely crude."

But also funny AF

message 44: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments A strange tag, not sure what I will do with it...I might have to read and read and hope something works.

message 45: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 4 comments Reading all of your replies, I would think anything by Shakespeare would be a good fit :)

message 46: by Megalion (new)

Megalion | 484 comments My 2 cents,
A) any book that has to do with the entertainment industry, fiction or NF. Such as reading Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet or Show and Tell: The New Book of Broadway Anecdotes or this 5 star read of mine The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom.

B) music industry too.

C) books made into movies. SO MANY! !

D) books billed as humor, often by comedians. Or hysterically funny memoirs like Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir. Too bad The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing won't be out in time. It's a best of 2016 read for me.

E) memoirs by anyone having anything to do with entertaining.

Those are what I'll go by when deciding if it fits the tag or not.

message 47: by Michael (last edited Jul 27, 2016 02:47PM) (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments The Selznick books seem a gifted suggestion, as are biographies or autobiographies of comedians like Bob Hope and Tina Fey. Less compelling for me are ones for actors like Alan Cumings, Monroe, or Patti Smith (people should move on Just Kids, a 5-star read for me too). Nicole's idea of circus related tales makes great sense (Water for Elephants would fit, but I didn't love it; maybe Coraline would do for the miniature circus, making another one for dark entertainment). A book related to musical production or stage magic would fit my feeling about applying the tag entertainment (a book version of the movie The Producers or Houdini would be perfect).

No recommendation, but I think it's time to take up Kimber's suggestion of Tipping the Velvet (which Story suggested years ago on Shelfari). The high wire act of Let the Great World Spin makes for a fair fit.

message 48: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 4 comments Megalion wrote: "My 2 cents,
B) music industry too.

O! O! Then The Art of Asking; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help by Amanda Palmer should fit the category.

message 49: by Megalion (last edited Jul 27, 2016 12:48AM) (new)

Megalion | 484 comments Charisma wrote: "Megalion wrote: "My 2 cents,
B) music industry too.

O! O! Then The Art of Asking; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help by Amanda Palmer should f..."

Ooh, yes! Good one. I remember when it came out but think I didn't put it on my TBR as i wanted to see what a friend thought of it first.

Occurred to me, another EXCELLENT book that fits entertainment yet is so much more than it, I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers . IMO, counts because he did educational TV for children. The book is something altogether different. Profoundly spiritual.

Highly recommend to anyone who wants to read for the tag but isn't quite interested in the tag itself.

Highly recommended Period

Gave my hard copy to my therapist to read and she's really been enjoying it. As I see it, it matters not what religion you are, Fred's light was universal.

message 50: by Megalion (new)

Megalion | 484 comments Somewhere above people mentioned reading circus themed books? In one of my yearly challenges, I'm reading 16 books that fit circus and any other kind of vintage/traditional entertainment before TV & Internet.

Dumping the section here, I'd compiled a list of candidates which ended up being long.
(view spoiler)

These qualify too but I've read before.
Circus Galacticus by Deva Fagan The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz That Time I Joined the Circus by J.J. Howard Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1) by Kristi Charish The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) by Douglas Preston

« previous 1