The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > First Impressions (on the 10th) - August 2016

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Aug 08, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Lanelle | 14998 comments Mod
description

This is a mid-month reading challenge.
This challenge requires you to read one book AFTER you see an image.

I will post the picture early on the morning of the 10th of August.
It will be behind a spoiler button.
You have the rest of the month to read that book.

The image could be a painting, a photograph, sculpture or artwork of some kind.

You will read the first book (that you can get a hold of easily) that pops into your mind when you look at the image I have selected.

No page limits. Re-reads are okay.
Duration : August 10- 31, 2016

message 2: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Aug 10, 2016 06:51AM) (new)

It seemed like everyone enjoyed voting on the image last month, so we'll try it again. Here are your three choices:

lips
tea infuser
a dancer

Which one do you think might make a good book cover reminder?

Lips won the coin toss. Click spoiler to see the image: (view spoiler)

message 3: by Joann (new)

Joann I'm voting tea infuser since I'm curious to see what fun one you'll come up with!

message 4: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jul 25, 2016 11:25AM) (new)

Joann wrote: "I'm voting tea infuser since I'm curious to see what fun one you'll come up with!"

The picture I found of the tea infuser had two parts to it. My daughter spent a minute or two cropping off the part I didn't want. So it's ready to be posted. (Thanks, sweetheart!)

But the lips and the dancer are pretty cool, too.

message 5: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2467 comments This looks like it could be interesting!

message 6: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

JoAnne wrote: "This looks like it could be interesting!"

JoAnne, this challenge is rather new. It only started the beginning of this year. Check out last month's challenge to see how we've been doing it. We try to keep it interesting :)

message 7: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Well I missed this month's impression, ugh.....but I think Tea Infuser would be interesting.

message 8: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️XAR the Bookwyrm (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
I like both Tea Infuser and Dancer personally.

message 9: by Agnieszka (last edited Aug 04, 2016 09:26AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1276 comments I love all three ideas but knowing your creativity still thinks that lips will be probably most interesting ;-)

message 10: by Heather LiteratureChick (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:35AM) (new)

Heather LiteratureChick (literaturechick) I think lips would be a good image for people to work with for selecting a book.

message 11: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 4 comments I go for Dancer!

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 757 comments Lips!

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby The dancer would be cool.

message 14: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 412 comments I vote absolute chaos: you assign each option a number, then use a random number generator website or roll a die or pull it out of a hat or something. So, we could get any of the three, and we won't know til the tenth. ^_^

message 15: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1276 comments VampAmber wrote: "I vote absolute chaos: you assign each option a number, then use a random number generator website or roll a die or pull it out of a hat or something. So, we could get any of the three, and we won'..."

LOL - you're always good for a laugh

message 16: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 412 comments Agnieszka wrote: "LOL - you're always good for a laugh"

Actually, that was just the best way I could think of to not have to choose, cuz I reeeeeeeeeally like all three. ^_^

message 17: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Well, I just tallied up the votes...and it's a three-way tie. Each image has three votes. If I discount Trea's vote (she voted for two images), then lips is winning.

message 18: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1276 comments Lanelle wrote: "Well, I just tallied up the votes...and it's a three-way tie. Each image has three votes. If I discount Trea's vote (she voted for two images), then lips is winning."

So will we get lips or are you going to follow Amber's suggerstion ;-)

message 19: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Lanelle wrote: "Well, I just tallied up the votes...and it's a three-way tie. Each image has three votes. If I discount Trea's vote (she voted for two images), then lips is winning."

Then I change my vote to Dancer only!

message 20: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Aug 08, 2016 02:30PM) (new)

Agnieszka wrote: "So will we get lips or are you going to follow Amber's suggerstion ;-) "

I think we should have VampAmber decide next month's image from the 3 choices ;-)

We still have over a day left. Folks might drop in and vote.

message 21: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Trea wrote: "Then I change my vote to Dancer only!"

Can you do that after the votes have been tallied? I might get sued for voter fraud or something :)

message 22: by ⚜️XAR, Operations Manager (new)

Lanelle wrote: "Trea wrote: "Then I change my vote to Dancer only!"

Can you do that after the votes have been tallied? I might get sued for voter fraud or something :)"

It's your challenge, so your rules! I'd say forcing us "rebels" like me and Amber to actually pick just one would be within your prerogative, especially in my case where I chose between two of them, so long as I keep my choices to one of the two I chose earlier. Amber, of course, would have to pick just one of the three. You could call it a tie breaker!

message 23: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

That's an interesting idea, Trea. Those people who voted for tea infuser had better hire a campaign manager!

message 24: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 412 comments Just a warning, but if I have final pick, I do own a 3-sided die, and I'm not afraid to use it. ^_^

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 757 comments Maybe you can find a picture of a dancer sipping tea that she just made??

message 26: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Leslie wrote: "Maybe you can find a picture of a dancer sipping tea that she just made??"

Um, yeah. I don't think I'm going to find a picture like that!

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 757 comments Lanelle wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Maybe you can find a picture of a dancer sipping tea that she just made??"

Um, yeah. I don't think I'm going to find a picture like that!"

I got close, but not quite. I found a male ballet dancer sipping tea next to a sink where I presumed that he made the tea, but that was the closest. There was a infuser in the shape of a dancer, and dancers drinking tea which meant that you couldn't see there lips. Although, there was one dancer just holding the tea cup but it had a proofing mark on it. I found a tea cup with an infuser that I think had a ballet slipper on it. Alas, can't make everyone happy.

message 28: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1276 comments Leslie wrote: "Alas, can't make everyone happy."

Too bad ;-)

message 29: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lips and dancer both had three votes. I went to random.org to flip a coin: lips - heads, dancer - tails. The quarter landed heads up, so lips is the winning image. The picture has been posted in message 2. Good luck, everyone!

message 30: by NayNay (new)

NayNay my pick Dare Me by Megan Abbott by Megan Abbott

message 31: by JoAnne (last edited Aug 28, 2016 06:16PM) (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2467 comments I read Last Kiss of Summer (Destiny Bay, #1) by Marina Adair
Last Kiss of Summer (Destiny Ba y, #1) by Marina Adair

4stars
Enjoyable read. Nice start to a new series. Look forward to reading more.

message 32: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

The first book that came to mind when I saw the picture was Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1) by Amy Garvey .

message 33: by Joann (new)

Joann I don't have anything on my TRB list with lips, but my next thought was kissing so going with a romance, maybe Outlander.

message 34: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 412 comments My first thought was that the table reminded me of a scene from series 6 of Doctor Who (cuz I'm weird that way), and I just so happen to have some Doctor Who books out from the library, one of which is from the correct Doctor for said season. So, I'll be reading The Silent Stars Go By by Dan Abnett . Yay! An excuse to read it finally!

message 35: by Agnieszka (last edited Aug 22, 2016 02:35PM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1276 comments I though immediately of three books but I'm not sure which to pick so I'm posting both for now and decide later :-)
A Change of Fortune (Ladies of Distinction, #1) by Jen Turano - I had the lips more prominent in my memory - I suppose because of the read settee => 5* I loved it so much and I regret I waited so long to read it. Next month I'll read the next one in the series. BTW I'm no more into historical fiction (HF) - so 5* should count double :-)

If I can I'll try to read at least another one of those - even if both are HF as well.
Pirate of My Heart by Jamie Carie - you can see the lips so well :-)
The Measure of Katie Calloway by Serena B. Miller - the asymetrical lips are very interesting

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I'm fairly new here, but when I read about this challenge last month, I somehow got the impression that I was supposed to look at the image and then choose a book that I thought of. What stands out to me in the image is the positioning of the tables, which look like they would be in a restaurant or a diner. So, is the challenge meant to be "read a book based on the image," or "read a book based on the word"?

message 37: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2467 comments Kathy wrote: "I'm fairly new here, but when I read about this challenge last month, I somehow got the impression that I was supposed to look at the image and then choose a book that I thought of. What stands out..."

from post 1 with instructions
You will read the first book (that you can get a hold of easily) that pops into your mind when you look at the image I have selected

message 38: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

JoAnne is right, Kathy. I'd like you to read the first book that you think of when you look at the image (that you can get a hold of easily). You'll notice that VampAmber will be reading a book because of the table, too. The word was only for voting purposes.

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy JoAnne wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I'm fairly new here, but when I read about this challenge last month, I somehow got the impression that I was supposed to look at the image and then choose a book that I thought of. W..."

Thanks very much, JoAnne.

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Lanelle wrote: "JoAnne is right, Kathy. I'd like you to read the first book that you think of when you look at the image (that you can get a hold of easily). You'll notice that VampAmber will be reading a book bec..."

Thanks very much, Lanelle.

message 41: by Brindi Michele (last edited Aug 13, 2016 07:30AM) (new)

Brindi Michele | 158 comments So I had three books pop into my head...

When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) by Lori Foster --> because I want my lips on that.... ;)
I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai --> we just chose this as our next book club read, so it was fresh in my mind
Keep It Shut What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All by Karen Ehman --> I just downloaded this audio book

I can't honestly say which of the three first popped into my head, but I'll choose whichever one I pick up first

message 42: by NayNay (new)

NayNay I read my pick Dare Me by Megan Abbott

I gave it 3 stars, and that was a little stretch. It was decent enough but the main character needed a good smack upside the head. It was suspenseful with a little twist, so that made up for the characters lacking any depth.

message 43: by Kathy (last edited Aug 21, 2016 02:28PM) (new)

Kathy I read A Cup of Friendship by Deborah Rodriguez. 4 stars. It's written by a woman, originally from Michigan, who lived in Kabul, Afghanistan from 2002-2007.
A Cup of Friendship by Deborah Rodriguez

message 44: by Brindi Michele (new)

Brindi Michele | 158 comments So I had three books pop into my head, and of the 3 I got my hands on this one first. *licks lips*

When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) by Lori Foster --> because I want my lips on that.... ;)

Finished on 8/21/16. 5 stars, y'all!

message 45: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1276 comments I read one of the books and updated message 33 :-)

message 46: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

I finished my book for this month's image, Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1) by Amy Garvey . It's a re-read for me. I think it's a fascinating look at someone who makes a really bad decision and then has to struggle to correct it. 4 stars.

message 47: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2467 comments Finished on post 31 - lips!