Start by marking “Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1)

Cold Kiss

(Cold Kiss #1)

It was a beautiful, warm summer day, the day Danny died.

Suddenly Wren was alone and shattered. In a heartbroken fury, armed with dark incantations and a secret power, Wren decides that what she wants—what she must do—is to bring Danny back.

But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy Wren fell in love with. His touch is icy; his skin, smooth and stiff as marble; hi
Published September 20th 2011 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Cold Kiss, please sign up.
Shannon Fay Well, generally, I open the book, then start with the first word, then the second word, then the third word and so on, until I come to a period. then …moreWell, generally, I open the book, then start with the first word, then the second word, then the third word and so on, until I come to a period. then I realize that sentence is over, and I think about the words that I read in my head until they make sense. Then I keep reading the words in the order they appear until I have read them all, and that's how I read these books (every book actually)(less)

Start your review of Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1)
Wendy Darling
How far would you go to save the person you loved most in the world? And what if he were already...dead?

Wren's boyfriend Danny died in a car accident before she had a chance to say goodbye. In a moment of grief, she brings him back from the dead with a powerful spell. But she soon realizes that the boy brought back is no longer quite the boy she loved.

I was really impressed by many aspects of this novel. From the description, I expected to find a typical YA paranormal romance, but was pleasantly
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

We were completely different. Danny was tall, sweet, graceful despite legs that went on forever. I was little, moody, uncoordinated. We didn't like the same music or the same movies. He put onions and mushrooms on his pizza and never wore socks and could sleep through a pipe bomb. I survived on bananas and yogurt and always wore hats and got carsick unless I chewed gum with my headphones on. It didn't matter. I loved him.

As soon as she entered puberty, strange things started happeni
Limonessa
What would happen if you lost the person you loved most in the world and then.... managed to bring him back?

That's what happens in this stunning novel by Amy Garvey.
Wren was - is - in love with Danny. They were everything to each other, breathing each other's air. When Danny dies in a stupid car crash, Wren's world comes to a halt. The only way she knows to give remedy to the sense of loss and desperation she feels is by trying to use her... abilities. Wren has them. Her mom, aunt and sister ha
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
This book left me looking:

Barely anything happened, the story was pretty much predictable, and on top of all that, Wren, our protagonist, is so unlikable and whiny. If I had a penny everytime she whined, I would be able to buy my own private island. The romance was stupid and the ending was anti-climactic and boring.

I know some people might say that this book is considered to be one of those mellow, down-beat books that don't really have much action, and I'm fine with those kinds of books, but t
Jo
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

“It wasn’t love right away, because nothing ever is, no matter what the songs say, but it was the start of it. A beginning in one way, and the end in another. I think that might always be true of love.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
I was not expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. I love being proved wrong.

High Points.
An um.. alternative way of dealing with loss. Zombies. It’s a kind of magic. Cute flashbacks. Gorgeous prose. Minimal eye-roll inducing descriptions. An unconvent
Ari
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book touched the very bottom of my heart.

There isn't much action and the story is simple, but there are so many emotions crammed into this little book that even my soul started to ache at some point.
The writer knows how to describe the feeling of losing someone dear to your heart, how you need to hold on to the good memories, how you can not let go even when you know that you need to.
“Love doesn’t break easily, I found. But people do.

This book is also about making mistakes and deali
Lea
[NOTE: I gave this book 1 1/2 stars on my blog...]

Hmmmm... OK, so... I wasn't a huge fan of this book. Cold Kiss tells the story of Wren, a high school girl, who happens to have magic powers that her mom has kept a secret from her all her life-- until her boyfriend Danny dies in a car accident, and Wren finds out that she can use her powers to bring him back to life. The problem is that once she does, Danny isn't the same...

*****

When I first read the premise for this book, I was thinking to my
Sarah Theis
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
So I never heard about this book until I picked it up at a used book fair in November. With that being said I actually liked it. The story was interesting and the characters were believable. It was a light read with a little romance and a little magic. I know there are those who hated it because MC started falling in love with someone else (MC uses her magic to bring her dead boyfriend back from the dead) but I see this as a way of her letting go and dealing with the death like she should have d ...more
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie
How do we let go of the loved ones we lost? How do we move on when the life we once knew has changed forever? If you are Wren, maybe you don’t have to let go.

Wren and Danny were in love. When Danny is killed in a car accident, Wren uses her magical powers, which she still does not fully understand, to raise him from the dead. But is what Wren brought back really her Danny or just bits and pieces?

The pages of Cold Kiss hum with electricity, energy, grief, love and sadness. Garvey’s prose makes y
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I suggest when reading Cold Kiss you have a box of tissues sitting right next to you. I've never read a YA book that actually made me cry as hard as I did reading Cold Kiss. It made me cry at the beginning and at the end.

Cold Kiss is about a girl named Wren who falls in love with a boy named Danny, only to lose Danny in a nasty car accident. Not being able to let go and move on, Wren finds a way to bring him back. She always knew that she was different somehow. Not just her, but her family as we
Megan
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some words that are thrown around to describe COLD KISS: Paranormal. Zombies. Romance.

Don't let these words fool you. COLD KISS is something new and beautiful and unique in YA lit. I hesitate to even discuss or acknowledge the "paranormal" aspect of this book (the main character, Wren, and her family have powers of the occult at their disposal, and Wren does indeed bring her boyfriend back from the dead) because the focus of this book, and the thing I came away thinking about, was Wren's struggl
Princess Bookie
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: We are introduced to Wren who is a high school student. She has two best friends she has neglected. She just has too much going on in her life to handle friends right now. She has been dating Danny and they make the perfect couple. She's really in love with him. But there was a car accident; the car crashed into a tree. One boy was paralyzed, one boy died. Danny is the boy who died in a car accident. Wren is a special girl. How special you ask? Special enough to raise him from the d ...more
Isamlq
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-galley
I've been keeping my expectations of YA PNR low lately. That way I'm not too disappointed if something turns out sucky. I am pleasantly surprised by elements of Cold Kiss, despite bits of it being standard. One, girl loves boy but with an obstacle before them, things got difficult. Two, the same girl meets another boy who is just as delicious as the first, and tada triangle. Cold Kiss is not that simple though. True, the characters weren't fleshed out. True, the story took place right after she' ...more
Cherie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was prepared to dislike where the story seemed to be going after the first thirty pages or so, but then I got caught up in the story. It was different and I enjoyed it all the rest of the way to the conclusion.
Shauna
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: draíocht

We were completely different. Danny was tall, sweet, graceful despite legs that went on forever. I was little, moody, uncoordinated. We didn’t like the same music or the same movies. He put onions and mushrooms on his pizza and never wore socks and could sleep through a pipe bomb. I survived on bana
D.J.
Jan 20, 2011 added it
Ms. Garvey’s writing is stunning. She has given Wren a very poetic, funny, and honest voice. Raw, even. The descriptions leave nothing to be desired and have a sort of depth to them, if that makes sense. The dialogue is smooth and fluid, as well. Although Wren is withdrawn from her friends, they are still great members of the cast and help show just how strong friendship can be.

Prior to reading the book, I knew Danny had to be some sort of zombie given the fact that Wren brings him back to life.
~Tina~
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it

Cold Kiss is surprisingly powerful. It was a rather fast read but the impact of emotions was something that had me invested from the very first chapter. Wren was just so sad and desperate and broken and Danny, dear gawd was so utterly sweet. He broke my heart. The memories alone is what had me undone.
This was an unexpected gem that I'm really glad I had the chance to read. Very bittersweet right till the very end.
Sesana
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
There's some great stuff going on here, with a few minor missteps. Although I like Gabriel as a character, I think the story as a whole would have been stronger if his function in the story wasn't romantic. It sort of dilutes what is an otherwise fantastic story of grief.
♥Kel
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: was-okay
I liked this book. The romance, the character development, the storyline... it was good. Even though i cried half of the book, i still loved it :0 i'm excited to read the 2nd book :)
Lexie
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would, but was still very let down by a few aspects of it.

The writing was lovely. I'll say that right off the bat, because that was one of the things I really, really liked. You all know I'm a big fan of lovely writing. It was lyrical and powerful but never strayed into over-written. It drove the whole story and made it so much easier to connect to Wren and all the crazy things she was feeling.

But Wren herself I was a little iffy on. Sometimes I love
usagi ☆ミ
SO glad netgalley came through for me on this one. I’ve been dying to read this, and I wasn’t let down. Not one bit. “Cold Kiss” may just seem like “another paranormal-ish romance” at first, but when you dig deeper, Garvey really brings depth and gives teens the credit they deserve in terms of the ability to make emotionally mature decisions, even if you screw up mightily along the way. You can definitely count on this one going on my bookshelf once it’s published.

The only thing I felt was lacki
Shelley
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
*Genre* YA Paranormal/Romance
*Rating* 4.0

*Review*

When 17 year Wren’s boyfriend Danny dies in a horrific car accident, she uses magic she doesn’t fully understand to bring him back. For Wren, her decision to bring someone back from the dead has its consequences. Danny is a talking zombie with fading memories of who he was, and what he had with Wren. He isn’t the boy Wren fell in love with and is slowly losing all reasoning for being alive.

“It seemed so right. Danny was mine, I was his, and that
Amy Jacobs
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I am not usually a big fan of zombie themed books. With the exception of a select few, I never understood the appeal to either cold, dead bodies for romance or brain eating shells of humans for entertainment. That could be why I was a little hesitant on reading Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey. After reading the first chapter though, I just knew I was going to like this book though.

When Wren is devastated after losing her boyfriend Danny in a car accident, she does the unimaginable and brings him back fr
Shoshanah
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Going into this I wasn't really sure what to expect. It seems like everyone has their own copy of it to read, and with such a big marketing push I was a little weary that there was a bad reason behind it. And then there's the fact it's a zombie books, which turns me off a little, and is part of the reason I've never read a zombie book. But I'm glad I gave it chance, because I wound up being really pleasantly surprised.

The books starts almost in the middle of the story and Wren has already broug
Melissa Simmons
Hello all, this month we decided to tackle Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey for our group review! I came across this book while browsing through Goodreads (I believe Lana was already reading it) and it caught my attention. I went right to Amazon & downloaded it for my kindle. I'm so very glad I did; this book had me hooked from the very first page!

Set in a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone else, Cold Kiss brings us back to our first love and that first time you feel really connect
Wanda
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, arc, reviewed
I've been working patiently down my list of books from BEA and requests. And I couldn't wait to get to this book. Damaris, you guys know Damaris. Well she ranted and raved about this book. So I was looking forward to it. And for once in a long time. I can't say I agree with her. And I'll tell you why.

Wren was finding it hard to continue living without the love of her life Danny. She was having a hard time letting go of her dead boyfriend. They basically were attached by the hip. That was until
Lori
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
To be honest my expectations weren't very high for this book. The premise sounds intriguing and I love the cover, but I was seeing some mixed reviews about it. That made me a little wary. Those feelings were totally unjustified and it only took me reading a few pages to realize I was going to love this book.

This book isn't your typical YA paranormal romance. Not at all. It's a little bit on the darker side and it deals heavily with Wren's grief and bad decisions. But not so heavily that it's dep
Sarai
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I would have given this a 3.5.

This book was okay. It was interesting enough that I wanted to finish it but I felt like the main character was not very well developed. I get that she was going through trauma and dealing with stuff, but she was really all over the place in her actions and I never got to know her or care about her. I wondered why the hero cared as much about her as he did. She asked him that a few times and he didn't really give a good answer except something that sounded vaguely l
All Things Urban Fantasy
COLD KISS is a mood piece, haunting and clear. It is a sad song, a scrap of poetry, an intimate glimpse of grief and adolescence and redemption. Despite the oh so brief moment in time that we share with Wren, the author fills in all of the real, delicate little details that allow all of these characters to go straight to the heart.

Those details are most haunting as they establish the love between Wren and Danny; how they met, their first kiss, the silly gifts and secret moments. All of these thi
Lalaine *myficbookreviews*
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book just now, and I cried with it. I cried because its so sad, because I know how hard it is to say good bye to someone you love, letting go is the hardest. The story started a little confusing but it was all good after awhile, I really like this book, its something different from what I usually read it was kind of strange and weird but in a good way. Weird because it gives me shivers to think that Wren kissing or touching her boyfriend who's supposed to be six feet ...more
SPF9: Sun-Proof F...: COLD KISS by Amy Garvey 1 5 Jun 12, 2012 11:32AM
ARC Giveaway of Cold Kiss 1 10 Dec 22, 2011 07:32PM
Amy Garvey, Lori Foster & Erin McCarthy's Bad Boys Of Summer Are Back! 1 9 Aug 02, 2011 10:38AM

• Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
  • Fateful
  • Screwball
  • Drowned (Drowned, #1)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Neverwas  (Amber House, #2)
  • Dream House
  • Emma, der Faun und das vergessene Buch
  • Firelight (Firelight, #1)
  • Ravished
  • Beauty: A Novella
  • Never Sweeter (Dark Obsession, #2)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • The Truth
  • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
  • I Am the Cheese
  • Explicit
I've always been a reader. I've also been a movie theater ticket taker, a nanny, a camp counselor, and a romance editor. Now I'm a mom and a writer who still spends most of my free time reading (when I'm not watching too much TV).

After starting off in romance with books like Hot Date and Pictures of Us, I'm writing in the genre I've always loved most, young adult fiction. (My very first completed

Cold Kiss (2 books)
  • Glass Heart (Cold Kiss, #2)

News & Interviews

“I am the kid who sticks her finger in the light socket. I am the person who doesn't check the expiration date on the milk. I am the idiot who has never looked before she leaped. I am the girl who is falling apart, right now.” 55 likes
“Love doesn’t break easily, I found. But people do.” 51 likes