Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Errr...does this sound legit insane...?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annie (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hiiii!!

*waves happily*

Could I get your objective opinions on this, pretty please? Here's the scoop...

Someone recently posted the "author bio" from my book on a private (go figure, eh?) forum and questioned whether or not I had actually been dragged off to the looney bin ROFLMAO!! It was part of a negative thread about me (I'm strangely flattered, although I think I really shouldn't be *smirks*)

Anyhoo, at first I thought, *eye roll* I was OBVIOUSLY going for funny. Duh!! But, then I thought, well, my brand of funny is...um...weird? So maybe I really do sound crazy as shizz?? LOL

Here the screenshot that woman posted:

description

Do you guys think it reads as funny and cheeky (my intention) or as legit insane (not my intention at all! Haha!!)?

Please feel free to be brutally honest. I promise I'm not made of glass ^_~ Thanks so much for the help, everyone!! Much appreciated!!!

Big hugs,
Ann

P.S. - I kinda wish that people would stop sharing copyrighted material but I know, I know, I'm asking too much... *sigh*

message 2: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Haha oh dear, I am not laughing at your pain, just your bio. It is so cute and funny! I can't imagine why someone would not see the humor behind it ?? Like, who would actually say they see a shrink in their bio and mean it?

Sorry that people are being rude. Maybe they would understand if they ever try to format an ebook. I'm still too chicken to try it myself! Much respect, Annie!

message 3: by Gisele (new)

Gisele Walko | 14 comments I find it funny, but i find humor in a lot of things, people who are more uptight probably think you're bat poopcrazy, which is still funny to me.

message 4: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:22AM) (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
I knew it was you who posted this.
100% knew it. Didn't even see the name in the thread, just knew. Like a pshycic... uh... phskick... uh... spelling... uh.... like a pterodactyl or something. Mind linked.

I don't think this could be taken seriously if it tried. Then again, my author profile says that I live in America's hat, (and my extended one says that I own a pet unicorn) so... maybe ask someone else.

T. K. Elliott (Tiffany) (t_k_elliott) Your author bio has made people discuss it. What's the betting that a few people who read that thread went to have a look at your book?

Job done... :-)

While it's not quite true that there's no such thing as bad publicity, it's nearly true!

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Annie, that's really not within a country mile of bats**t. It's just a bit off-piste.

You should feel sorry for the person who posted it on their forum. They are just sad!

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4353 comments Mod
Well, the audience you're trying to reach will see the joke, I'm sure. Not everyone will get it and that's just how it is. I've had some negative comments about various things I've done in an attempt to be funny. I'm fine with it. Not everyone will see my humor. Humor is, after all, subjective.

Look at it this way. Posting this does show that that person doesn't get your humor, but maybe someone who will get it will see it and investigate. Yes? So, it could work in your favor.

It's just part of the biz. We put ourselves out there in the public eye and people will form and share opinions. Some will try to cast a negative light on you. Sucks, but it happens. Just wait. One day you'll be on TMZ for doing something mildly crazy and then you'll know you hit the big time.

message 8: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:28AM) (new)

Remember - Anyone can read GoodReads posts.
Calling potential readers bad names in a public forum anyone can read... isn't the way to get more readers.

;)

message 9: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4353 comments Mod
Folks,

While support of Annie is appreciated, try to refrain from negativity toward the person(s) who posted this and have been negative toward her. I know it's tough, but we need to keep this forum free of negativity.

message 10: by Annie (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hahaha, oh, good! So either I don't sound crazy at all or the lot of you are just as batpoop as I am hahahaha!!!

Nah, for reals, though, I don't care about the thread. People be people, eh? And it really is strangely flattering. Yeah, yeah, THAT requires medical attention. I know... *smirks*

As long as you guys don't think it really sounds "off" then I'm keeping it!

@Miss Marie: I still found a formatting issue the other day... *sobs openly**books appointment with shrink**eats cookies* And please, laugh away, ma'am!! I love laughs!!!

@Misters CB & Dwayne: Oh, I totally agree! I honestly don't mind that it was posted!! Nor do I feel negatively toward them. Promise, promise!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I think it's funny. My kind of humor, really. I once had a middle school teacher ask me to describe myself in one sentence. The words, "Mental hospital escapee" made certain we had a humorous relationship throughout the schoolyear.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Umm. I'm obsessed with thanking people for their help so...

Marie, Gisele, CB, TK, Jane & Dwayne, thank youssss!! Okay. I feel better now XD

As for Mr Joe...um...you're not helping me feel sane at all!! LMAO!!!!

message 13: by Joe (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:48AM) (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) Sanity is overrated. Sane people write how-to manuals for lawn mower repair. We write about *bleep* that doesn't exist. ;)

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Now, now, Mr Joe...

If I ever need to repair a lawn mower, I sure as heck am picking up a how-to manual written by a sane person. ^_~

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 123 comments Love it. So different and genuinely funny. It stands out and sets you apart. Sit back and hug yourself. Any publicity is good publicity and if anyone is writing anything about you be flattered...

message 16: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments How anyone could take that bio seriously is beyond me. They need to go take humor lessons or something. ;)

Oh, and what writer doesn't drink copious amounts of coffee and magically transform it into books? I mean, that's a given! Totally sane.

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments C.B. wrote: "Remember - Anyone can read GoodReads posts.
Calling potential readers bad names in a public forum anyone can read... isn't the way to get more readers.

;)"

Oops sorry. I get much crosser on other peoples behalf than my own. Maybe it's me who is bats**t.

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 123 comments Lyra wrote Oh, and what writer doesn't drink copious amounts of coffee and magically transform it into books? I mean, that's a given! Totally sane.

I drink tea, darling... :D

message 19: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Jane wrote: "Oops sorry. I get much crosser on other peoples behalf than my own. Maybe it's me who is bats**t.."

Probably.
But, aren't we all a bit? ;) In the best of ways!

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Okay, that's it, guys!! I'm changing my bio to:

Annie is sane. The voices in her head swear it's true.

*starts passing out indie straight jackets (not to be confused with non-indie ones!!)*

@Miss Jane: Aww! *hugs* I appreciate the backing, ma'am!!

@Mr Tim: Hugging myself feels awkward but okay, fine. I'll keep doing it. Annnd you're drinking wine in your profile pic PLUS you wrote a book titled, WTF Need I say more? *giggles*

@Miss Lyra: Say what??? I thought only I could do that!! I've been telling people it's my superpower *pouts*

Hugs,
Ann

message 21: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Eyre (rachaeleyre) | 194 comments Dinnae worry, young Annie. The sort of audience you want to attract will get it, those you don't won't - and what better endorsement is there?

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Jane, I'm the same way. Much easier for me to stand up for someone else than myself.

Gee, I consider my sense of humor my greatest asset, defense, and weapon... but like Dwayne stated, not everyone gets it. Just the phrase, "... slips on a banana peel..." makes me giggle.

Annie, You're in the right company. We get you and your humor.

Hugs, Sue

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) It's a great bio; I wouldn't change a thing. And any publicity you can get (bad reviews excepted) is good publicity.

message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 25 comments I love it! It makes you seem like a real person, and I'd bet your books are funny too from reading it. :)

message 25: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Rios (natalierios) I like it! Readers will be able to pick up on your personality based on your writing style and social media posts. I don't think anyone who read and truly enjoyed your book would think you're crazy. And the ones who didn't enjoy it probably won't bother to read the About the Author page, honestly.

message 26: by Annie (last edited Jul 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Awww, shucks, you guys! *blushes* I came for some bio feedback and got a whole lotta love too!!

@Misses Rachael, Lynn, Natalie, and Mr Ken: Yes, endorsement, yes, publicity, and...um...I hope my books are funny haha. Thank you kindly!

@Miss Sue: She slipped and fell on his banana...on, no...wait...

message 27: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) You asked, so read my answer in that light, as I would not 'attack' your bio if I just happened to come across it somewhere.

I would assume that it had been written in an attempt at humour.

BUT I would also be uncomfortable with the way it depicts and disrespects people who have had a mental breakdown or are dealing with mental illness, therapy, or addictions.

I would definitely wonder how much of it was true and I would assume that you were, in fact, dealing with mental illness. People often treat their own mental illness or disabilities with that sort of offhanded disrespect (if you can't laugh at yourself...) and it is really 'against the rules' to write fictional things about yourself in a biography. So I would wonder whether you are someone who is dealing with your mental illness with as much humour as possible, or whether you were someone who was just making stuff up that you thought was funny and disrespecting people who do deal with mental illness.

The tone is similar to some of the stuff that Andy Behrman posts (after having shock therapy he refers to himself as Electroboy). http://www.electroboy.com

I have certainly read my share of lighthearted bios, and ones that do obviously incorporate fantasy (you know, if they talk about unicorns, you have a pretty good idea it is fiction.) But I would be reluctant to post a bio like that myself.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Annie, *slapping my knee* Yup, that's funny, but, also... OUCH!!!!

message 29: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss PD: Ah, great points! Thank you for the honest insight!!

My intention is certainly not to disrespect anyone at all. Hmm. The shrink talk could certainly be construed as such. You feel like the caffeine addiction reads as offensive too? I thought this part was an obvious "haha" but of course, I could be totally wrong, eh?

Oh, and don't worry, ma'am! I'm notoriously difficult to offend. Plus, I'd never ask if I didn't wanna know ^_~

@Miss Sue: Hahahaha!! OMG! Sooo many things I could say right now...

*practices self-restraint**struggles immensely**sobs a little*

Hugs,
Ann

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Annie, Say it in a French accent... even funnier! *falls off chair* Just the words "banana peel" do it for me. Now I can't stop laughing. : D
Hugs, Sue

message 31: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Annie wrote: "@Miss PD: Ah, great points! Thank you for the honest insight!!

My intention is certainly not to disrespect anyone at all. Hmm. The shrink talk could certainly be construed as such. You feel like t..."

The biggest thing is making fun of mental breakdown. Having seen the devastation that such a breakdown has on the sufferer and their family and friends, even decades later, it is not something I would ever be flippant about.

And addictions... yeah, I hear a lot of addictions talk through my day job, people trying to hold their lives together from one meeting to the next, spending years trying to change their thinking, or breaking down and drinking themselves to death after three decades of sobriety. Uggh.

But caffeine addiction is something that lots of people joke about, so that wouldn't concern me nearly so much as "Ha ha I had a breakdown."

I could discuss details privately with you, but I think you get the point without getting into specifics.

message 32: by J C (new)

J C Steel (jcsteel) Annie wrote: "Hiiii!!

*waves happily*

Someone recently posted the "author bio" from my book on a private (go figure, eh?) forum ..."

Heh - awesome bio. Made me grin. Won't put my actual opinion of your forum acquaintance because it would get my post kicked off the thread ;)

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Sue: *confiscates your banana paraphernalia* ^_~

@PD: Nah, no PM needed. You've been kind enough already. I appreciate it!

@JC: Thank you! *blushes* And yes, it would be wise to refrain hahahaha!!

Hmm. Well, the forum acquaintance "knows" me so I assumed it was just regular ole gossip. But then Miss PD is completely objective soooo...

*ponders*

I never wanna offend anyone. But I also figured that anyone who was okay with the blurb and actually made it to the end of the book would be okay with my bio LOL I'll have to think on this...

Thanks so, so, sooo much! Y'all have been a great help!!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 34: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments Well Annie, I think it's just dandy.

message 35: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Charles: I'll take dandy ^_~ Thank you, good sir!

message 36: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 268 comments The bio worked for me, and I agree with other comments, it's probably going to appeal to the kind of readers you want to attract.

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ian: Much appreciated!

Yeah, I think I'll keep it as is. The blurb should be enough of a deterrent XD

Hugs,
Ann

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Well,in my main bio it says I dream of jetpacks and electric sheep. The bio on the back of my Eyes series assures the reader that I am not a vampire. If we have to remain stuffy and serious, I'd probably quit writing.

In other words: you do you. ;)

message 39: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I did me once.
time paradox.

message 40: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments totes

message 41: by John Hooker (new)

John Hooker | 90 comments With regard to caffeine addiction, in my town many years ago there was a conference on addiction. For some reason, the coffee that was supposed to be available was not. After a few hours everyone at the conference was getting jumpy and very grumpy. There was almost a mutiny. No one saw the irony.

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Christina: Done and done. Although...

Jetpacks? Electric sheep? Not a vampire? Seems pretty darn accurate ^_~

@CB: No comment.

@Misters Charles & John: Errr, thanks, gentlemen? Hahahaha!!

message 43: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments I think it's hilarious and wish that I could write that funny. Yes, it is not PC, but so much humour is like that. I think that there are degrees of non-pc. I am sensitive to the point made by PD. you may offend and take some criticism but I might be tempted to check your work.

message 44: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments I think it's funny. :)

I don't think many people would read it and take you seriously (but hey, even if they did maybe it's worth a pity buy?) ;-)

No such thing as bad publicity.
Don't sweat it.

xx

P.S. Now thinking I need to inject some humour into my own rather dry bio!

message 45: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Annie wrote: "Hiiii!!

*waves happily*

Someone recently posted the "author bio" from my book on a private (go figure, eh?) forum ..."

I love your bio, Annie. Not everyone will appreciate the humor, and that's just fine, in my opinion. You can't please everyone, especially in this business.

message 46: by Grace (new)

Grace Anthony (AnthonyBooks) | 65 comments I think it's great! It very accurately describes being an author :D I think readers are used to authors being quirky and having weird bios. I don't think that people will read it and seriously think you are mentally insane :)

message 47: by Robert (new)

Robert D. Calkins (robertdcalkins) | 9 comments It's a very nice bio and I agree with Natalie Rios. It's a great insight into your personality and whether they will enjoy your book.

message 48: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments I think it reads as funny-cheeky, and it works.

message 49: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) The discussion on this thread leads me to another question.

What is the purpose of your bio? It seems that responders on this thread see several different purposes.

1. to persuade someone to buy your book
2. to entertain
3. to tell readers facts about yourself

I am of the opinion that your bio should be engaging and interesting, should incorporate your voice, and may or may not be 'entertaining'. But I also think that it should be fact and not fiction. If I read an author's bio, it is because I want to know about their background and something about the person behind the prose. Chances are, I have already read a book, or I wouldn't be interested. I may be looking for particular information (where do they live, are they married, do they have kids, do they have real life experience in this subject, have they received any awards, do they do school visits, etc.) or I may just be looking for a general picture. But either way, I expect to learn something 'real'.

I don't know if this is your entire bio, it looks from the screenshot like it is. On reading it, though, I haven't learned anything about you, other than the fact that you are a writer (which I hopefully already knew) and you have a self-deprecating sense of humour. If I am to take you at your word, I also know that you drink a lot of coffee and at some level are battling mental illness. But that's it. I still don't have any information about who you are or where you come from or why you chose to write this piece or this genre.

message 50: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Anthony, TL, Ken, Grace, Robert, & Thomas: I'm happy to hear it made ya laugh and didn't offend! *victorious fist pump* Thank you so much!!

@PD: Errr. None of those options...? LMAO!! I'm just being a dork, as usual.

1. Like I said, It's at the end of my book so it's already bought ^_~
2. I guess if I HAD to pick one, then sure, I love to make readers smile
3. Personally, I'm not one to be like "Here, read about me!!"

I only wanna let them enjoy the book and thank them for reading it. If they'd like to find out more about me, the link to my author site is there. But that's their prerogative. Just me, though.

Again, I appreciate the insight ma'am!!

From a quick tally, less than 4% of readers will take my joking as serious...and...I'm guessing that at least half of those won't read my books based on the blurbs anyway *smirks* Miss PD, would you agree with this? Like, do you find my blurb off-putting as well? ☚ This would be a GOOD thing!! Haha!!!

But, seriously, if it becomes an issue, I'll just pull the bio altogether. I can't bring myself to write something "Un-Ann", ya know? *shakes head stubbornly*

Thank you, everyone!! If I missed anyone personally, please accept my apologies!! You guys are freakin' amazeballs!!!

Hugs,
Ann

« previous 1