dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Green Hicks | 462 comments Mod
The categories for August are as follows:

-A book about animals/with animal main characters

-A book with a spy or escape

-Book of mythology

-A book with a person's name in the title

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Aug 23, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

These are my current choices, subject to change if I can't get interested in them! ;)

Book about Animals: Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

Book with spy or escape: The Last Runaway

Book of mythology: The Scorpio Races

Book with a person's name in the title: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

message 3: by Malissa (last edited Jul 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 110 comments Hmmm. Supposed to be reading Watership Down for my book club, so that will fit if I finish it.

Also, planning on Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta which will fit for a person's name.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Aug 22, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Barbara (kanddmom) Book with animal main characters--The Neil Gaiman Audio Collection CD This is probably a real juke, BUT 3 of the stories deal with animals.

Thats all i got. Unless I get a copy of the book A Man called Ove in time to read before the end of the month

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Wilson (cletusvandamme) | 178 comments Mod
Preliminary list:

1. Book About Animals: Fantastic Mr. Fox
2. Book with Spies or Escape: Marathon Man
3. Book of Mythology: Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes
4. Title with a Person's Name: Bush

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 245 comments Animals: tailchasers song.
Spy/escape: bear island.
Persons name: uncle Remus.
Mythology: sword of summer.

message 7: by Malissa (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 110 comments KELLY wrote: "These are my current choices, subject to change if I can't get interested in them! ;)

Book about Animals: Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

Book with spy or e..."

The Scorpio Races is awesome! :)

message 8: by Malissa (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 110 comments Does an assassin from one nation sent into another to kill their king count as a spy? There may also be an escape. Not done yet!

message 9: by Paul (new)

James Bond was called "an assassin" in the crappy Brosnan Bond movies, so I think it counts!

message 10: by Malissa (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 110 comments Excellent! Because Watership Down is failing .... Or I am.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Just realized a series I'm reading falls into mythology: the Raven Cycle. Huzzah!

message 12: by Malissa (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 110 comments Win!

message 13: by Paul (new)

Some edits to my monthly selections. Amazing how a day slacking off from work can change one's perspective and reading choices!

1. Book About Animals: Mark of the Beast
2. Book with Spies or Escape: The Spymaster's Lady
3. Book of Mythology: Mythology: Atlantis Rising
4. Title with a Person's Name: Dear John

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Has anyone read Ruth Ware's In the Dark, Dark Wood or new one The Woman in Cabin 10? It looks thriller ish to me so might not be my thing, but wondered what y'all knew about them.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

I loved In the Dark, Dark Wood & am looking forward to reading her new book! :)

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Is is scary, Kelly? More thriller than mystery? I saw her new one at BnN tonight. Spending some of my summer reading challenge gift card money. :) Alas-it is SO much harder deciding what to buy than borrow, because I want to make it count more if that makes sense.

message 17: by Gina (last edited Aug 15, 2016 02:25PM) (new)

Gina Mullins | 26 comments Mod
A book with an escape from death:Before the Fall. What's not to like about cheating death? Scottish mythology in An Illustrated Treasury of Scottish Mythical Creatures

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 73 comments There's at least one escape in the fabulous and intense The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater so going to sneak that one in for the spy/escape category.

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 245 comments Changed my escape book to the shadow of the wind. Very good.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

I have a bit of a crush on Donald Trump. What are some good books that highlight his greatness? I can fit that in the name category!

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 245 comments KELLY wrote: "I have a bit of a crush on Donald Trump. What are some good books that highlight his greatness? I can fit that in the name category!"

Look for anything written by him.

message 22: by Ben (new)

Ben Earnest | 3 comments Look for something in the fantasy section!

message 23: by Malissa (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 110 comments Monkey Paul, stop trying to project your trumplove on Kelly's account. I know you're embarrassed (as you should be), but that's just rude ....

message 24: by Ben (new)

Ben Earnest | 3 comments If I had known that Paul wrote this piece, I would have been less kind and would have suggested any title to be found under "loser"...

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Looks like Monkey Paul is putting his Trump crush on my account as I was unfortunate enough to leave it up. ;)

message 26: by Paul (new)

This thread is low energy. Sad!

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 245 comments it's august. life is low energy

message 28: by Paul (new)

For the record, Monkey Paul has no crushes on Trump...just to keep things professional.

Although he had a delightful cameo in Home Alone 2!

message 29: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments I was thinking Trump an odd choice for Kelly.

message 30: by Paul (last edited Aug 24, 2016 08:41AM) (new)

Finished for the month.

BOOK WITH SPIES OR ESCAPE: Marathon Man(Best geriatric Nazi spy book I've ever read. Features not only one but TWO dental torture scenes!)

BOOK WITH A NAME IN THE TITLE: Bush (Solid critical biography of the 43rd president, although perhaps a bit premature)

BOOK OF MYTHOLOGY: Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Noted improvement over the somewhat disappointing second entry. Focused more on the whole team rather than the second book's Ronan-driven plot.)

BOOK ABOUT ANIMALS: Fantastic Mr. Fox (Another solid entry from Mr. Dahl. As someone who neglected a lot of his books growing up, I regret that I wasn't a more attentive reader, because his themes of anti-authoritarianism, childlike cynicism mixed with wonder, and idiotic antagonists fit right with my worldview. I'll make it a point to read more of his books!)

message 31: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Paul, I sometimes wonder about your affinity for torture scenes. We're not going to hear about you in the news for nefarious reasons some day, are we?

message 32: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Any suggestions for a decent, quick read for the animal category? I have abandoned 3 already. I've read one juvenile book this month so wanted to aim a bit higher.

message 33: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Completed so far:
1. ??
2. Spy/escape-Girl at the End of the World: My Escape from Fundamentalism in Search of Faith with a Future by Elizabeth Esther (Powerful read. So much abusive, twisted stuff happens in the name of God and religion).
3. Myth-Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman (Love his stuff, no matter what age group it's in).
4. Name-My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout (Not that great. Olive Kitteridge is much better).

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 245 comments Nikki wrote: "Any suggestions for a decent, quick read for the animal category? I have abandoned 3 already. I've read one juvenile book this month so wanted to aim a bit higher."

The cat in the stacks mysteries by Miranda James.

message 35: by Paul (new)

Nikki wrote: "Paul, I sometimes wonder about your affinity for torture scenes. We're not going to hear about you in the news for nefarious reasons some day, are we? "

Well...anything's possible!

Fantastic Mr. Fox is only about 80 pages with a lot of illustrations. Good juking book. Takes less than an hour to read.

message 36: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Animal-Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl.
Good recommendation, Paul. Fun read. Month completed.

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (kanddmom) Ok, I got a copy of A Man Called Ove

I read first several chapters, read the last several chapters, and skimmed the rest. Does that count?

I will finish reading it this weekend. But I think I could go into my book club discussion now and be ok.