Start by marking “Fantastic Mr. Fox” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  91,434 ratings  ·  3,583 reviews
Nobody outfoxes Fantastic Mr. Fox!

Someone's been stealing from the three meanest farmers around, and they know the identity of the thief-it's Fantastic Mr. Fox! Working alone they could never catch hi; but now fat Boggis, squat Bunce, and skinny Bean have joined forces, and they have Mr. Fox and his family surrounded. What they don't know is that they're not dealing with j
Published August 16th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Mr. Fox, please sign up.
Conor Nally Yes, and the movie is GREAT! I don't know which I prefer, they're very different. :)
Camilla Tilly Well, in a way you can pretty much read any book to a child, but of course you need to be prepared to sit and explain a lot. My children have…moreWell, in a way you can pretty much read any book to a child, but of course you need to be prepared to sit and explain a lot. My children have certainly not been ready to hear Roald Dahl books at that age and at a Swedish library you will find the books placed in the 9-12 year old section. (less)

·  91,434 ratings  ·  3,583 reviews

karen
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GREG!!! YOU ARE OLD!!!! EVEN OLDER THAN LAST YEAR!

greg's birthday is today, so i am floating this now to remind you that you still have time to shower him with presents!

it is greg's birthday!!! and as a treat for him, i am going to create a book review in which i use plenty of pictures of foxes!!! they are his favorite!!

first, a sleepy fox:

meditating fox:

super-
Patrick
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My impressions in a single word: Meh.

I recently read this to my little boy, and I have to admit I really didn't care for it.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a *terrible* book. There's nothing hideously wrong with it. (See my review of Esio Trot, if you want to see me go off on a Dahl book I hated.)

But there wasn't much right with it either. The simple fact was Mr. Fox was not, in fact, very fantastic.

The plot centers around some farmers that try to kill Mr. Fox. They try to dig him out of his ho
Alex
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the youth
Shelves: 2016
This book encourages stealing, underage drinking, and living in an underground bunker so you never have to face sunlight again. Recommended!
Miranda Reads
Three stars for the questionable morals and implications for the animal society.

Mr. Fox stole from local farmers for years and the farmers are fed up. They decide to wipe out the entire Fox family. These are talking animals - this is murder.

Instead of trying to negotiate (or even work for a living), the Fox family makes a run for it and they end up endangering all the animal families that live in the hill, the Badgers, the Weasels, the Moles, the Rabbits, etc. Their homes and children are at r
Ahmed  Ejaz
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-lengths, 2017
Fantastic Mr. Fox is an amazing book for children. Even I, myself, loved Mr. Fox. He is soo clever and determined.

Mr. Fox steels food from three farms own by nasty owners. He steels to keep his family alive. But one day the owners finally decide to kill him once and for all. But Mr. Fox is too clever for them.
His optimism is amazing. I love optimistic characters. I didn't wanna read it. Had to read it for my younger cousin's school work.
Now I am happy that I read it. I highly recommend this bo
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
Another lovely book by Roald Dahl, with the always beautiful illustrations by Quentin Blake.
✩ Ashley ✩
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

My first introduction to Mr. Fox occurred while heading up to 15,000ft sitting on the floor of a puddle-jumper, wondering when in hell I decided jumping out of an airplane might be the bravest or stupidest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life. I was psyching myself out that in mere moments the door would open and I would die.

...OR as the plan was, I would freefall for 60 seconds prior to my parachute successfully opening, float over Lake Taupo, and safely land back on solid ground
Quirkyreader
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short book was a laugh riot. Especially with the way Dahl described the human characters.
Greg
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids, foxes
Mr. Fox steals food nightly from one of the three disgusting and gluttonous farmers who have more then they need. The farmers get mad and set out to kill Mr. Fox. They have a hard time catching him, they destroy the earth trying to get him out of his hole, they waste many man-hours by making their workers surround the woods with weapons and ultimately Mr. Fox with the help of other underground animals find another way into the farms and go about their stealing in peace while the farmers sit endl ...more
Calista
I am a huge Roald Dahl fan. I love foxes and I loved having a main character that is a fox. It is such a snappy and witty book. This is a great one and I think the movie was wonderful as well. Roald does well on screen. Of course the fox will win.
Holden
This is such a cute little book! A quick, funny and very enjoyable read. Highly recommend it if you want to dive back into your childhood for an hour or so.

Roald Dahl is famous for a reason!
Trish
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This morning two new Roald Dahl books arrived and this one was an instant must-read. From a young age on I always adored stories about forest animals (which is why it's even more incomprehensible and outrageous that I have missed out on such a classic until now)!

The book is very thin but the story inside is full of wit, fun and excitement!

Roald Dahl tells the story of Mr. Fox, his wife and children and their tranquil life. However, there are 3 farmers with very bad intentions and since Mr. Fox i
James
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl at his best - an oft overlooked story (at least until the film adaptation) this is lots of fun. A great story by Dahl with the usual wonderful accompanying illustrations by Quentin Blake.

Not to be missed.

Dannii Elle
Still reminiscing my childhood in 2019 and not regretting a thing.
C.G. Drews
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I assume you're supposed to read these when you're...eight? Or ten? BUT WHATEVER. I read all of the Roald Dahl books when I was 14-15 and this is the only one I could never find. So now I have consumed it and I feel like my life is very complete with Roald Dahlness.

(Plus I had seen the movie years ago. There is a lot more in the movie than in the book. I definitely saw Mr. Fox as George Clooney though. Just sayin'.)
description

Aaaanyway. This is not my favourite Roald Dahl book (I'll always pick Matilda or
Jason Koivu
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Delightful! Though I do feel bad for the chickens, ducks and geese.
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I wasn't sure why, but Fantastic Mr. Fox felt the most festive to me, so I thought it'd be appropriate as my sixth Roald Dahl read. Now that I've read it, it's a little festive (gathering together with friends for a celebratory meal), but it's most likely because the film adaptation seems to always be on around Christmas – and now I cannot wait to watch it. Fantastic Mr. Fox is a charming, qu
Mariah Roze
I am still in the year of reading Roald Dahl. My goal is to read every Roald Dahl book, that I can get my hands on in 2017. I also have a book buddy who is doing it with me!

This is not my favorite book by Roald Dahl...

"Fantastic Mr. Fox is on the run! The three meanest farmers around are out to get him. Fat Boggis, squat Bunce, and skinny Bean have joined forces, and they have Mr. Fox and his family surrounded. What they don’t know is that they’re not dealing with just any fox–Mr. Fox would neve
Salymar
― Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

This short story reminded me of the The Three little pigs. The three little pigs here in the story are the farmers except that they are dumber, clumsier and stinkier. haha!
belle ✨(bookishlybelle)
5/5 stars

this is probably my favorite roald dahl book, and if you haven't read it, i'd highly recommend it! it's funny, fast paced, and the descriptions of food will make your mouth water!

such a classic.
Ferdy
Loved it, mostly because of the nostalgia but even with that it was still a really fun read.
Kali Wade
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just needed a taste of childhood again :)
*Swaroop*
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Fantastic Mr Fox 🦊 can also named as Robinhood Mr Fox.

This book is a quick and fun read.

At the start, you may think that Mr Fox is selfish, mean and steals food. But, you are wrong because Mr Fox is in fact brave, kind and steals food not just for his family but for many other animals and their families.
Christopher
There just aren't enough books for children that glorify stealing and drinking.
Yoda
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So adorable. I really need to read more childrens books they are so cute. I havent really read anything buy Roald Dahl before so I need to catch up now. ...more
Franci
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A lovely story by a master.

My expectations were maybe a little too high.

It was entertaining and fun, it just wasn't one of my favourites.
Karla
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Even though Roald Dahl is one of my absolute favorite childhood authors, there are some titles that I've never read. This was one was absolutely fantastic. Sure, it promotes stealing, but only from bad guys. Like another review notes, so does Robin Hood.

But what I thought was illustrated so vividly here is that the three nasty farmers become obsessed with killing Mr. Fox for stealing their poultry, losing all perspective and sense of proportion. So much so that they take steam shovels to an enti
Chaymâa
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I was reading Fantastic Mr. Fox, I had in mind three colorful bubbles (yes, sometimes I like to tease my ideas):

1. Roald Dahl is amazing.
2. Mr. Fox is indeed Fantastic!
3. And this stupid yet hilarious song:

Seriously Chaymâa?!

Well, as Roald Dahl said in this book :

Lata
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fox was a clever fellow,
stealing chickens, geese and ducks.
He made the three farmers bellow,
And destroy his home with trucks.

This is a short and silly story,
That is funny and not gory.
The farmers go overboard.
So the fox raids their hoard,
Sharing with neighbours, in a great feast.
Now, really, who is the foul beast?
✧Hessa✧
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
Indeed he's fantastic
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong title 3 17 Jul 14, 2018 01:37PM
Play Book Tag: The Fantastic Mr. Fox. 4 stars. by Roald Dahl 2 10 Mar 25, 2018 01:44PM
i dont get it 24 265 Jan 15, 2017 05:13PM
101 Books to Read...: Fantastic Mr. Fox 6 9 Jul 21, 2016 09:11PM
The Neverlanders: Fantastic Mr. Fox Discussion 2 11 Mar 19, 2016 12:35AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • The Fox Cub Bold
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • Little Foxes
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • The Firework-Maker's Daughter
  • A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #3)
  • Pinky Pye (The Pyes, #2)

“I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.” 766 likes
“I think I have this thing where everybody has to think I'm the greatest.And if they aren't completely knocked out and dazzled and slightly intimidated by me, I don't feel good about myself.” 72 likes