Science and Inquiry discussion

Infectious Madness: The Surprising Science of How We "Catch" Mental Illness
This topic is about Infectious Madness
Additional Book Discussions > Has anyone read: Infectious Madness: The Surprsing Science of How We "Catch" Mental Illness

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney (conservio) | 94 comments Has anyone read this book? It looks interesting, but I'm concerned it will be full of pseudoscience and exaggerations.

message 2: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 13 comments This reviewer wrote an interesting review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Read the comments at the review too.

Recently in the news it was reported that Kris Kristofferson, who was thought to have Dementia or Alzheimers, actually has Lyme Disease.

I haven't read the book but I'm considering it.

message 3: by Charlene (new) - added it

Charlene | 26 comments I have not read it but I can say that Harriet A. Washington's Medical Apartheid was fantastic and didn't contain a bit of pseudoscience. I know that Alzheimer's has recently been linked to a fungal infection. Also, a lot of great work has been done on virus/parasites and the brain (including schizophrenia). However, I am not familiar with the other claims in the book (OCD and the like). It's hard to know if it's real or if she overshot. There was a book similar to this called This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society by Kathleen McAuliffe that might contain similar information. The book was okay but could have been better. Perhaps Washington has filled that gap? This book wasn't on my radar but thanks to your question, I might actually read it. Looks great.

message 4: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney (conservio) | 94 comments Hmm thanks for the comments. I think I'll check it out then.

Elentarri Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks!