Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

100 views
Archive [General] > Favourite Book/Series of All Time

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 19, 2016 03:47PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Thought I'd get a new discussion going so everyone can participate even if you aren't doing a buddy read right now.

The big scary questions that all readers have to face, but can never answer: What is your favourite book? I'll expand that by allowing your favourite series if you can't choose a single book.


message 2: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 19, 2016 05:48PM) (new)

Angela | 3594 comments Mod
Giving it some thought, I would have to say The Luminaries. I think I loved it so much as it was set in New Zealand and is an historical mystery. Plus it's the type of book that really makes you have to think about what is going on through the read. I thought it would be tougher to think of just one, but this book really stands out in my mind.

I've linked to a review I did if anyone was curious about The Luminaries and hasn't read it.

http://thesaucywenchesbookclub.blogsp...

There are a couple of books which would be a close second Here be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman and American Gods by Neil Gaiman.


message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "Giving it some thought, I would have to say The Luminaries. I think I loved it so much as it was set in New Zealand and is an historical mystery. Plus it's the type of book that rea..."

I read your blog post - awesome review! I'm going to add The Luminaries to my to-read list.


message 4: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Lies of Locke Lamora is my favourite book and favourite series are Gentleman Bastard and First Law.


message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Samir wrote: "Lies of Locke Lamora is my favourite book and favourite series are Gentleman Bastard and First Law."

I'd say Gentleman Bastard is my favourite fantasy series as well (for now).


message 6: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments Jenna wrote: "What is your favourite book"

Favorite book is the Memories of Ice and favorite series is the Malazan Book of the Fallen.


message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Lundos wrote: "Jenna wrote: "What is your favourite book"

Favorite book is the Memories of Ice and favorite series is the Malazan Book of the Fallen."


I can't say Malazan is my favourite series yet because I haven't read all that there is, but it is quickly climbing the ladder.


Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments Mine has to be Malazan too! And my favourite book has to be Deadhouse Gates.


message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Mine is Malazan. It's a really tough choice between DHG or MOI. I'd put Stormlight Archives in that realm too but at only two books let's wait and see where it goes.

LOTR is the one I've read the most and roped me into this genre at a young age. I've just read it so many times and seen the movies, Rankin and Bass along with Peter Jackson versions, so many times it's lost it's luster with overexposure.


message 10: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4283 comments I have so many favorite fantasy books. I'm going to list them in different genres/categories.

Favorite stand-alone fantasy book: Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Favorite YA fantasy series: The Books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon

Favorite adult fantasy series: It's a tie between The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain and The Riyria Revelations by Michael Sullivan

Favorite urban fantasy series: The Dresden Files


message 11: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Can't believe I'm saying this cause the middle 4 or so books were the definition of tedious but The Wheel of Time is right up there along with the Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire.
I think I can say that a Storm of Swords was the best fantasy book I've read.

For Sci Fi- Red Rising. I know lots of people weren't keen on the first book but damn what a ride the series was.

I've only read Gardens of the Moon so far but I can definitely see Malazan being one of my top contenders. I can't say it would knock the other three series off the podium cause you can't really compare them they're so different


message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Margret wrote: "The Wheel of Time ..."

The first three and especially the last three WOT books are outstanding. I have to wonder if the series would have ended so good if not for Sanderson fixing a LOT of Jordan's flaws. Gone those last three books were fixating on things with no driving story line and a hundred braid tugs per chapter.


message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Tammie wrote: "Favorite stand-alone fantasy book: Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Favorite YA fantasy series: The Books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon

Favorite adult fantasy series: It's a tie between The Green Rider..."


I haven't read any of these. I'll have to check them out.


message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 20, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Tammie wrote: "I have so many favorite fantasy books. I'm going to list them in different genres/categories.

Favorite stand-alone fantasy book: Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Favorite YA fantasy series: The..."


I haven't read any of these either (except Riyria)! Thanks for new books to read.


message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
A lot of Malazan fans. I have to say it will probably be my favourite fantasy series by the time I have read all of them. I just don't want to say it's my favourite before I've read all of the books.

My favourite book is not fantasy, but I don't see it getting knocked from the top spot anytime soon. I love The Canterbury Tales. Whether I read it for fun or read it for school, I just love it every time - I love it so much I took a whole course on it and I wish it had been longer.


message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Most of my favorite books outside of fantasy are all historical fiction. I don't have one that stands out but a few of my favorites are

A Prayer for Owen Meany
All the Light We Cannot See
The Nightingale
11/22/63


message 17: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "Most of my favorite books outside of fantasy are all historical fiction. I don't have one that stands out but a few of my favorites are

A Prayer for Owen Meany
[book:All the Light We C..."


The only one of those I have read is The Nightingale, but I loved it. I really need to get around to reading All the Light We Cannot See.


message 18: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3594 comments Mod
Thanks Jenna :-).

Series wise it would have to A Song of Ice and Fire. Agree Margret Storm of Swords is fantastic.

Scott I loved 11/22/63. Such a good book. It was the first (and to date the only) time I've read Stephen King.


message 19: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4283 comments Jenna wrote: "A lot of Malazan fans. I have to say it will probably be my favourite fantasy series by the time I have read all of them. I just don't want to say it's my favourite before I've read all of the book..."

My favorite non-fantasy book is Jane Eyre.


message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "Thanks Jenna :-).

Series wise it would have to A Song of Ice and Fire. Agree Margret Storm of Swords is fantastic.

Scott I loved 11/22/63. Such a good book. It was the first (and to date the only..."


Storm of Swords is my favourite in the series as well.


message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Tammie wrote: "Jenna wrote: "A lot of Malazan fans. I have to say it will probably be my favourite fantasy series by the time I have read all of them. I just don't want to say it's my favourite before I've read a..."

I really didn't like Jane Eyre, but it was probably because of the professor who taught it rather than the book itself. For school books, the instructor makes all the difference.


message 22: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4283 comments Jenna wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Jenna wrote: "A lot of Malazan fans. I have to say it will probably be my favourite fantasy series by the time I have read all of them. I just don't want to say it's my favourite bef..."

I guess that would make a huge difference. I read it on my own.


message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 20, 2016 04:14PM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "Scott I loved 11/22/63. Such a good book. It was the first (and to date the only..."

I read The Dead Zone about 30 years ago but those are the only two King one's I've read. Which is funny since one was great and the other good.

I guess we're both obdurate. :)


message 24: by Eric (last edited Jul 21, 2016 10:14PM) (new)

Eric | 101 comments Angela wrote: "Giving it some thought, I would have to say The Luminaries. I think I loved it so much as it was set in New Zealand and is an historical mystery. Plus it's the type of book that rea..."

Yea the luminaries is tied as my favorite also. I loved it. I really liked the way it was written with the waning chapters, and I wish I knew more about astrology so I could get the references. It's definitely not for everyone though. I tried to get my dad to read it and he didn't get very far.

My other favorite novel is the wind up bird chronicles. If you guys decide to read a Murakami work then I think you should start with that.

Also the martian, battle royale, and area x were great.

And favorite series would be song of ice and fire.


back to top