What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's/YA Fantasy book about rescuing a maiden in a tower [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark | 3 comments I remember reading an illustrated book back in the 90s or early 2000s about a knight that rescues a maiden inside a tower. A few plot plots I remember are:
* The rescuing knight travels with the sister of the imprisoned maiden.
* The rescuing knight has to fight though several other knights on the way to the tower. At one point, the rescuing knight takes the armor from a defeated knight.
* When the rescuing knight arrives at the tower containing the imprisoned maiden, he has to ring a bell to fight the knight defending the tower. He is warned that the defending knight's strength varies during the day, and he should not ring the bell when the defending knight is strongest.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36026 comments Mod
The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf by Gerald Morris?

Searched www.worldcat.org -- Subject: Knights and knighthood, Keyword: rescue sister, 1960-2010, Juvenile, Fiction, Book, English

message 3: by Summer (last edited Jul 19, 2016 12:48PM) (new)

Summer | 255 comments That does actually sound a lot like The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf, but that has no illustrations and enough of the details are off that I'm sure it's not the right one.

However, Kris is definitely on the right track there, and I bet you what you are looking for is another version of the same Arthurian legend that The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf is based on.

The sister, the series of knights, and the scavenged armor are all spot on, and I did a little research: although in The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf the Knight of the Red Lands doesn't get stronger towards the middle of the day, he does in older versions of the story.

So, keywords for you are Sir Ironsides, Beaumains, and the Knight of the Red Lands. If you remember the book as sounding really old timey, it's probably by Sir Thomas Malory, but my money is on a kids' version of his stories, because of the illustrations.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark | 3 comments Thanks! I'll look at those tonight and see if they are familiar.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 3 comments I found it: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Thanks! I've been looking for this for a long time.

message 6: by Summer (new)

Summer | 255 comments Welcome!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gerald Morris (other topics)