Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

Book Discussions > Books so good you called in sick, late... or lost?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Audible is featuring some books that they say would have you calling in sick, late, ... or lost.

So, have you had a book that had you doing this?

message 2: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny  (poshpenny) | 1859 comments I made sure I had a day or two off when the last two Harry Potter books were released. When I read The Phantom of the Opera I would miss my connecting bus stop on the way to work fairly often. You could probably have dropped a hammer on my foot without my noticing when I was reading The Devil in the White City.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne K. | 21 comments I was reluctant to read The hunger games, but once I started, I couldn't stop. If I didn't feel guilty I might have called in sick to finish them. I did stay up all night though as I couldn't put the first one down and was not very fresh for work the next day :(

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I was in my 3rd or 4th year of university when Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix came out and I stayed up all night reading it then skipped my classes the next day. It wasn't even my favourite lol it was probably my least favourite hp book!

message 5: by Shishi-Za (new)

Shishi-Za | 2 comments I read a lot while commuting and there have been a few books that almost made me loose track of time.
Most recently Anansi Boys from Neil Gaiman - while reading this book I missed my stop a few times and found myself at the end of the train line, not sure how the jorney felt smaller than usual.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Terrific, Shishi-Za! That's what a book is SUPPOSED to do!

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1883 comments I have on occasion missed my subway or bus stop because I'm so engrossed in my book, but even though NYC is very safe now compared to most of my time here, I rarely allow myself to become so consumed just from an instinctual safety point of view. However, I have been known to stay up waaaaaay too late to finish a really good book. Most recently - last week when reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles - I got very little sleep that night!

message 8: by Brooke (last edited Feb 13, 2017 03:34PM) (new)

Brooke | 273 comments I missed an important call with my boss one day because I was reading The Nightingale. We rescheduled it for the following day, and I accidentally overslept and had to reschedule AGAIN because I was up so late finishing it! :/

message 9: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Theresa wrote: "I have on occasion missed my subway or bus stop because I'm so engrossed in my book, but even though NYC is very safe now compared to most of my time here, I rarely allow myself to become so consum..."

That is good to know! A Gentleman in Moscow is sitting on my table right next to my computer waiting to be read.

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katherinezofrea) | 11 comments I have never been late for work from reading but when I read Graceling I was pretty darn close. I also was definitely that kid who tried to sneaky read in class or rush to finish a test just so I could read.

message 11: by Tania (new)

Tania | 574 comments I don't think I ever called in, but there have been some books that had me struggling to get up the next morning because I was up too late. Most recently, Collateral by Ellen Hopkins.

message 12: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments In high school I used to stay up late reading really long books, like Michener or the Clan of the Cave Bear books until all hours and would skip the next day's classes. And when I was reading Never Let Me Go, I was in Japan at Osaka Castle and started just reading on the grounds while I had a little picnic lunch and ended up spending the entire day reading in the sun.

message 13: by Sara Grace (new)

Sara Grace | 123 comments As a kid I got in trouble a few times for reading during class. Oops! In college, I got in trouble for reading the textbook during class and noticing the prof almost followed the text verbatim...he wasn't happy when I had the answer for everything because I was reading along with his lecture.

As a library tech asst, I have on occasion read books while sitting at my desk. I've gotten so into a book I've been reading at home that I'll check out the ebook from the public library and read it on my computer monitor...I think I'm being sneaky but I'm sure someone notices. At least I'm not on YouTube and Facebook like some of my coworkers! (I work in a university in Tech services, no patrons to deal with.)

message 14: by Pinchy's Pages (new)

Pinchy's Pages (Jenn Harrison) (princesspinchy) | 21 comments I'm currently reading The Academy: Making of a Ruler and it is excellent! I've been staying up too late and sneaking off for quick breaks from work to read. :-)