J.D. Robb discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive-BOM Noms/Polls 2021 > August 2016 Book of the Month Nominations - Closed

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10495 comments Mod
Nominations are now being accepted for our August Book of the Month. You may nominate any book from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genre or from any one of the many sub genres, with the exception of books by J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts. We explore Robb's In Death series in Buddy Reads & other discussions in this group. And we read & discuss Nora Roberts books with our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies. We encourage you to join the discussions any time.

*Nominations for our August Book of the Month will be accepted through July 21. The poll for voting will open July 22 and close at midnight on July 28.

Monthly Book Nomination Guidelines:

1-Each member may nominate 2 books per month. Please include a link to the book that you nominate.

2-Please - Only nominate books that you intend to read and discuss with the group.

3-Nominated books must be from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genres or one of the many sub genres.

4-Nominated books must be the first book in a series unless the Robb group has read the preceding books previously.

5-If your nomination wins the poll, we would love for you to consider leading the Book of the Month discussion for that month. Leading the discussion can be as simple as sharing your thoughts and encouraging others to share theirs, or you may prefer to post questions concerning the plot, characters, etc. The choice will be yours if you decide to lead the discussion.

6-J.D. Robb and Nora Robert books are not eligible for nomination. We invite you to join us as we explore the In Death series books in our In Death Buddy Reads and enjoy discussing the Nora Roberts titles in our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies.

7-Should an issue arise that results in the winning book being disqualified, the book that received the 2nd most votes will automatically become the replacement Book of the Month.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13627 comments Mod
I nominate Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

Description
On a foggy summer night, eleven people—ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter—depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are Scott Burroughs—the painter—and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul's family.

With chapters weaving between the aftermath of the crash and the backstories of the passengers and crew members—including a Wall Street titan and his wife, a Texan-born party boy just in from London, a young woman questioning her path in life, and a career pilot—the mystery surrounding the tragedy heightens. As the passengers' intrigues unravel, odd coincidences point to a conspiracy. Was it merely by dumb chance that so many influential people perished? Or was something far more sinister at work? Events soon threaten to spiral out of control in an escalating storm of media outrage and accusations. And while Scott struggles to cope with fame that borders on notoriety, the authorities scramble to salvage the truth from the wreckage.

Amid pulse-quickening suspense, the fragile relationship between Scott and the young boy glows at the heart of this stunning novel, raising questions of fate, human nature, and the inextricable ties that bind us together.

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments Jonetta wrote: "I nominate Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

Description
On a foggy summer night, eleven people—ten privileged, one down-on-his-lu..."

I just got the notice from our library that this book is waiting for me. I'm definitely planning to read it.

message 4: by Christine (new)

message 5: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments I nominate: I Know Lucy (A Fugitive #1) by Melissa Pearl & Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1) by Toni Anderson

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 974 comments I'd like to nominate She Can Run (She Can... #1) by Melinda Leigh again.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Today is the last day for August Book of the Month Noms! If there's a book you would like to read & discuss with the group, nominate it here. :)

message 8: by Namita (new)

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments My nomination The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13627 comments Mod
Loved that book.

message 10: by Namita (new)

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments Jonetta wrote: "Loved that book."

That's what I've heard. I'm dying to read it.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Our August Book of the Month Poll is open for voting. One of our goals for hosting the BOM reads is to stimulate good, thought-provoking book discussion among those who choose to participate. With that in mind, please vote for the book you are planning to read & discuss with this group in August if it wins our Poll. We have some great selections to choose from. This poll will close on July 28. You may access the Poll via the Homepage or at August BOM Poll. We look forward to exploring & discussing another great read with everyone.

message 13: by Sandra (last edited Jul 29, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

The winner of our August BOM Poll is The Cuckoo's Calling. Join the discussion at The Cuckoo's Calling Discussion.

message 14: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (jenb_73) | 155 comments Got it downloaded and ready to read!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.