J.D. Robb discussion

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
This topic is about The Cuckoo's Calling
Monthly Book Discussion Library > The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowlings - Aug. 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Jul 29, 2016 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10496 comments Mod
The winner of our August Book of the Month Poll is The Cuckoo's Calling (Book 1 of the Cormoran Strike Series) by Robert Galbraith (also known as J.K. Rowlings). I was immediately intrigued after reading the synopsis! Sounds like another good book for group discussion. This will become a Spoiler Zone on Aug. 15.

@Namita - Congrats on your nomination winning our Poll. Feel free to lead the discussion any way you like. :)

Synopsis/Blurb:
A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

Table of Contents
Prologue
Three Months Later
Part One (7 chapters)
Part Two (11 chapters)
Part Three (10 chapters)
Part Four (14 chapters)
Part Five (2 chapters)
Epilogue
Ten Days Later

Character List
(view spoiler)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 3 comments Loved that book! Especially the character of Robin.

Really need to read book #2 one of these days.

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Yeah!!!!! It gives me a chance to relisten to a wonderful book and listen to a great narrator who knows what he's doing.

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I want book #4 in this series and find out what happened with Cormaran & Robin.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13634 comments Mod
Loved this book!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 974 comments Wonderful book. Hope everyone enjoys it.

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Lauren, This will be my second listening to it.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 974 comments Mara wrote: "Lauren, This will be my second listening to it."

I've heard that the audio is fantastic!

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments It is. Ms. Rowling must have been a student of British Mystery TV dramas because she does a great job. So want book #4.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 524 comments just downloaded from library will start this weekend

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 43 comments I listened to the audio book a few months ago. I really enjoyed it!

I read this one but switched to audio for the next two. Highly recommend the audio format.

message 13: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Robert Glenister is a great narrator and perfect for this series. Now is book number 4 would come out.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I wasn't to sure about reading this one. a lot of negative reviews but gonna give it a try.

message 15: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Sheri, Just keep an open mind. It's a great series. People are grumbling that J.K. Rowling isn't writing more HARRY POTTER.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments i will I never cared for Harry potter lol

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments Sweet!!! Super excited to chat about it. All I can say is I enjoyed this book thoroughly.

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments @Kirsten, I'm reading book 2 now. It's great. Wish I had more time to read.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 974 comments Sheri wrote: "I wasn't to sure about reading this one. a lot of negative reviews but gonna give it a try."

I think the people were also disappointed that it wasn't one action scene after another. It is a mystery more in the style of the traditional English who-dun-it like Agatha Christie. So it builds slowly and steadily toward the climax. Readers who enjoy mysteries will probably love it, but those who prefer thrillers might not.

Perfectly stated, Lauren.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 3 comments Sheri wrote: "I wasn't to sure about reading this one. a lot of negative reviews but gonna give it a try."

People shouldn't give it a negative review. It's like people complaining about David Tennant's performance as Hamlet, because they were waiting for the Doctor.

I really enjoyed this mystery. You need to read it as a mystery that just happened to be written by the author of Harry Potter, not Harry Potter, Private Investigator.

There are good characters, a well crafted mystery, but no witches or wizards or great evils (well, not too great).

I also really enjoyed her standalone book, The Casual Vacancy

message 22: by Mara (last edited Jul 31, 2016 09:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I think that's what people are expecting and don't want Ms. Rowling to write different kind of books.

I have love the series, and want book 4 so I can find out what happens next

Mara wrote: "I think that's what people are expecting and don't want Ms. Rowling to write different kind of books.

I have love the series, and want book 4 so I can find out what happened at Robin's wedding."

Mara, please put your last comment in a spoiler tag.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 3 comments Thanks for saying that Jonetta. I've only read book #1. I think some people (no offense, Mara!) - and I've done this - think they only need to spoiler major developments like who did the deed or who died, and don't need to worry about who ends up with who.

message 25: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Kristen, I didn't like The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling J.K. Rowling. I'm sure it was a good book and a telling of what happens small villages in England, but I just couldn't relate to the book or the characters. It all seemed like a jumbled mess.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 3 comments Well, I'm used to lots of British shows like this. I'm quite an Anglophile.

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments I enjoyed the thorough investigations and the steady pace. It's a really well written book. Hope you all enjoy it as well.

message 28: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Kirsten, I am Anglophile also. I just didn't care for CASUAL VACANCY.

♑Namita♑ wrote: "I enjoyed the thorough investigations and the steady pace. It's a really well written book. Hope you all enjoy it as well."

I'm looking forward to reading it, Namz!

Open discussions will begin on the 15th.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments started this one this morning

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 524 comments for me its a slow read so far. I am at over 100 pages in and seems to me nothing is happening so far.

message 32: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Relistening to it now.

I haven't started yet - should be later in the week.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 974 comments Susan wrote: "for me its a slow read so far. I am at over 100 pages in and seems to me nothing is happening so far."

It does build slowly, but as with all of her writing every detail is significant.

Agree with Lauren. Those details are important.

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments Susan wrote: "for me its a slow read so far. I am at over 100 pages in and seems to me nothing is happening so far."

It is a slow and steady pace.

That's good to know before I start the book. Thanks for the info.

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 524 comments yes I keep thinking of all the details and how they will all fit together as I am trying to figure this out myself. its a tough one.

Valerie Clem (valeriec62) | 31 comments This one had me stumped until the very end. I can usually figure out "who done it", but not with this one. Every little detail counts.

Me, too, Valerie!

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments RangerGirl wrote: "This one had me stumped until the very end. I can usually figure out "who done it", but not with this one. Every little detail counts."

Same here. I just couldn't figure it out.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 974 comments IIRC, I did figure this one out but not until right near the end and I wasn't 100% sure of the culprit.

message 43: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I think there too many too choose from.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 974 comments Mara wrote: "I think there too many too choose from."

I had it narrowed down to two - (view spoiler)

Starting this one this evening...I'm intrigued! Open discussions begin on the 15th.

So I'm about 15% or so in...well written, no doubt, interesting tone/voice, detailed descriptions - and just a bit...strange. Also just realized this one is over 500 pages.

message 47: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Robert Glenister is the GOLD STANDARD of narrator.

This is now a Spoiler Zone. Feel free to begin Open Discussions at any time.

message 49: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Just finished it a few days ago. As I have said before, Ms. Rowling was a very good study and observer of the British Mystery genre that was broadcast on TV, and the written British mystery in book form.

I just relistened to for the second time because of this thread. I love this series, and when all of hullabaloo of the new HARRY POTTER book & play are over with I want a new Cormoran Strike/Robin Ellicott book.

In listening to it the second time, I think that Cormoran and Robin knew they would make a good team and be good friends. And if Cormoran were honest he sort of needed a keeper, and Robin fit the bill.

Whether she realized it or not, Robin wanted to dance to a different drummer, not do what Matthew wanted her to do. She wanted to feel important and be appreciated for her mind. Working with Cormoran, she was able to do that. She wasn't just another paycheck.

Namita  (-namita) | 202 comments Aptly described Mara. I too felt it, Robin is just the sort of person/friend Cormoran needs around him.

I do want to punch Matthew. Anyone else feel this way?

« previous 1