Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
This topic is about Pyramids
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Pratchett, Terry - Pyramids (Discworld #7) - Informal Buddy Read, Start Date July 18, 2016

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about Pyramids by Terry Pratchett

Book synopsis
It's bad enough being new on the job, but Teppic hasn't a clue as to what a pharaoh is supposed to do. After all, he's been trained at Ankh-Morpork's famed assassins' school, across the sea from the Kingdom of the Sun. First, there's the monumental task of building a suitable resting place for Dad -- a pyramid to end all pyramids. Then there are the myriad administrative duties, such as dealing with mad priests, sacred crocodiles, and marching mummies. And to top it all off, the adolescent pharaoh discovers deceit, betrayal - not to mention a headstrong handmaiden - at the heart of his realm.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I'm excited to go back to the Discworld! And I am really looking forward to Sir Terry's humor once I finish the monster book that is Outlander.

:-)

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Hi Ang (and others?), :-)

I started this book on Monday, but I'm having a tough time making time to read it. So far, I've only read to page 55. :-/

It's great so far, it's just that distractions are too plentiful.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments ⁀☆‿Ang ‿☆⁀Team Tapir wrote: "Ok. I am so lame. I never read this. I am on the naughty list for sure."

lol Ang. No worries. Are you going to read it now? I hope you enjoy it!

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments ⁀☆‿Ang ‿☆⁀Team Tapir wrote: "I am going to read it. I have 2 more up and then Pyramids is next!"

Okay! Let me know what you think of it and if you want to continue on to #8, Guards! Guards!. :-)

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I understand. Pyramids has been my least favorite so far, too. I just don't see how an Egyptian-flavored story fits into the Discworld. I wish Teppic"s assassin training had been explored more.

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Is Guards, Guards! next? I'm really excited to read that one, too. Want to buddy it (or whatever the next one is?)?

And I agree with you about Pyramids, though I didn't think it was bad. It just wasn't for me. I remember liking the beginning, when Teppic was in training in Ankh-Morpork to become an assassin, and I can remember disliking that that training never really came back into play. :-(

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I have moved on to other books, but that was only because I was waiting (hoping) to go back to Discworld with you. :-)

So, are you ready to read #8? When? I'm ready potentially whenever, though I should probably read that interlibrary loan book that's due back to my library soonish. ;-)

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Ang, I'm so sorry. I kept forgetting to come back here to ask. . .

Would starting Guards! Guards! tomorrow, December 11, work for you?

I still want to read it. Tomorrow is my birthday so it would be great to start it tomorrow. :-)

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments ⁀☆‿Ang ‿☆⁀Team Tapir wrote: "Happy Birthday (a little early)."

Thank you! I'm sorry you're sick. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

I won't be able to read much tomorrow. My Mom is going to take me out to lunch/dinner and a movie, and I'm hoping to go by the bookstore for the last Christmas gift I need to buy, too. But I'd like to at least start it.

(I've had the idea of starting the next Discworld story as my birthday gift to me for at least a week, which is why I'm so sorry it took me until after I finished the Kate Daniels series before coming up for air and asking you about it.)

I just finished (yesterday) the Kate Daniels series-to-date and am feeling lost. Started a memoir today, but it's broken up into short vignettes (chapters) and so will be easy to read a bit of it and Guards! Guards!, too. :-)

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Hi Ang! Just so's you know, we now have a thread for Guards! Guards!: A Novel of Discworld. :-)

You can find it here.

I started it on my birthday, but I've been really bad at making updates. I'm only just past the halfway point, though, so making slow progress. But it's a fun story! I'll hope to see you in the new thread!

:-)