Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > August 2016 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon Recluse (last edited Jul 13, 2016 10:42AM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
It's time to accept nominations for our August group read, and this month's theme is.....

ANYTHING HORROR GOES!!!!

Please keep in mind, seconding another book helps it wind up on the final poll, and nominating your own books is not allowed.

Books read in the last 6 months will not be allowed on the final poll.

message 2: by Walter (last edited Jul 12, 2016 07:27PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I hadn't heard of this novel before, but most folks are already familiar with Peter Straub's Ghost Story, so I figured I'd lead off by recommending this 2010 Straub novel, A Dark Matter.

message 3: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 12, 2016 08:07PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6319 comments Mod
I'll nominate a couple of "classics" that I haven't gotten around to reading yet--both on this year's HA 101 books list.
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson , I Am Legend byRichard Matheson, and
The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon , The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11124 comments Mod
wow! already? ok, how about Tales From Valleyview Cemetery Tales From Valleyview Cemetery by John Brhel

message 5: by Myst (new)

Myst | 404 comments How about The Turn of the Screw? The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

message 6: by Char (new)

Char  | 14689 comments Mod
You're on top of it, Jon! :)

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Wallace | -86 comments How about The Hatching. Several people wanted it for July and it sounds pretty good.

The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone

message 8: by Myst (new)

Myst | 404 comments Mike wrote: "How about The Hatching. Several people wanted it for July and it sounds pretty good.

The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone"

I don't think your suggestion will count this month. In the first post for 'rules' it states the following:

Books nominated in the last 6 months will not be allowed on the final poll.

message 9: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Myst wrote: "Mike wrote: "How about The Hatching. Several people wanted it for July and it sounds pretty good.

I don't think your suggestion will count this ..."

That might be a slip of the tongue. IIRC, I think it's supposed to be 'books read in the last six months', but I could be mistaken. No doubt Mr. Recluse will be along shortly and provide clarification.

message 10: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Walter wrote: "Myst wrote: "Mike wrote: "How about The Hatching. Several people wanted it for July and it sounds pretty good.

I don't think your suggestion wil..."

You are right, Walter.

My error. I will correct it.

message 11: by Vavita (last edited Jul 13, 2016 10:49AM) (new)

Vavita I just read The Hatching and didn't like it.
It was interesting but don't expect to be scared or fascinated. It is just an interesting read. My review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3290 comments Mod
Dweller by Jeff Strand Dweller
Ink and Bone by Lisa Unger Ink and Bone
Shadows in Summerland by Adrian Van Young Shadows in Summerland

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

I'll second Dweller (another I STILL haven't read!)
Dweller by Jeff Strand

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 129 comments I hear that Sweetheart, Sweetheart is good.
Sweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard Taylor

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Oh that one was good!

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Tom wrote: "I hear that Sweetheart, Sweetheart is good.
Sweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard Taylor"

LOVED that one!

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Tom wrote: "I hear that Sweetheart, Sweetheart is good.

I'll second that one!

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Robert wrote: "Tom wrote: "I hear that Sweetheart, Sweetheart is good.

I'll second that one!"

I loved that one. I need to write to Taylor to tell him so...

message 19: by Char (new)

Char  | 14689 comments Mod
Jonathan wrote: "Robert wrote: "Tom wrote: "I hear that Sweetheart, Sweetheart is good.

I'll second that one!"

I loved that one. I need to write to Ta..."

I will fourth Sweetheart, Sweetheart. :)

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Charlene wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Robert wrote: "Tom wrote: "I hear that Sweetheart, Sweetheart is good.

I'll second that one!"

I loved that one. I ne..."

And a fifth for Sweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard Taylor !

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 591 comments I would like to suggest Nightmare girl by Jonathan Janz, but I'm not sure if you read it lately. Or else mmm..some Dean Koontz, The voice of the night.

message 22: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 161 comments I'll second The Nightmare Girl by Jonathan Janz The Nightmare Girl.
I've been wanting to read it for awhile. Maybe since Mr. Janz chimed in above he'd join the discussion with some additional insight. Our group read of Wolf Land with him was awesome.

message 23: by Latasha (new)

Oh yes! You had me at cult! I'll 3rd that

message 24: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments The Troop is near the top of my pile. I picked it up at a used book sale because it gets suggested so often.

message 25: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "The Troop is near the top of my pile. I picked it up at a used book sale because it gets suggested so often."

I'll second The Troop.

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (empressreece) | 86 comments : ) I had actually just started reading Sweetheart, Sweetheart this weekend so I'll go with it too.

message 27: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Kiernan | 110 comments I'd like to nominate Prodigal Son Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #1) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz

message 28: by Latasha (last edited Jul 23, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

I forgot this thread was already up. let's read something halloweeny! Tales Of Horror On Halloween Night by Samie Sands Tales Of Horror On Halloween Night

message 29: by Wayne's (new)

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments Myst wrote: "Mike wrote: "How about The Hatching. Several people wanted it for July and it sounds pretty good.

I don't think your suggestion will count this ..."

Actually it says books read, not nominated

message 30: by Myst (new)

Myst | 404 comments Wayne, it was a typo in the original post that was supposed to say read, but said nominated.

I actually like the idea of a nomination month of nothing nominated or read in last 6 months.