Start by marking “Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #1)

Prodigal Son

(Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  32,180 ratings  ·  1,578 reviews
From the celebrated imagination of Dean Koontz comes a powerful reworking of one of the classic stories of all time. If you think you know the legend, you know only half the truth. Here is the mystery, the myth, the terror, and the magic of . . .

Every city has its secrets. But none as terrible as this. He is Deucalion, a tattooed man of mysterious origin, a sleight-of-rea
Mass Market Paperback, 469 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Bantam (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Prodigal Son, please sign up.
Ejiro Anthony A Page 27
As if in answer, Lohman appeared from behind the oaks with two homicide detectives, older models, Jonathan Harker and Dwight Frye

Page 28
…more
Page 27

Page 28
Harker tended to burn easily-from sunshine, from envy, from imagined slights to his competence, from just about anything.

(less)

·  32,180 ratings  ·  1,578 reviews

Dirk Grobbelaar
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Out of the last of the twilight came Deucalion with a suitcase, in clothes too heavy for the sultry night.

Koontz does a pretty good job of extrapolating the Frankenstein mythos. He doesn’t do much to alter the original history, but instead focuses on a “what if” scenario. What if Mary Shelley’s novel was an account of actual events? What if Victor and his creation were still around today? How could that have come about? What would they be doing? Etcetera. This kind of thing has a multitude of po
Katiria
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-books
I really love and enjoy Dean Koontz Frankenstein graphic novel, that I wanted to give the novel version a chance. Because I had a feeling that I would love the novel more. And ohh boy I sure did love and enjoy the novel version more. I know this book was not for every readers in fact I know some readers love the graphic novel more, which I totally understand why. But I absolutely love and enjoy the novel version much more, there were some things that didn't have in the graphic novel that it had ...more
Marvin
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I occasionally get the urge to read a Koontz novel. Some of his earlier works like Watchers are quite exciting. I keep hoping his current novels will return to his earlier high standards. However his later books, Relentless being a prime example, simply do not work well and hints of a writer who may now be writing to a formula and for the money. I hope that's not true but it is my suspicion.

Dean's Koontz Frankenstein pastiche of which this is the first part does not reduce that fear. In fact, th
Chris Thomas
Really good fun. One of the best Koontz novels I've read.
TK421
I have heard many times from fans of Dean Koontz that they were upset because Koontz used "no-name" writers to co-author his retelling of Mary Shelly's classic story, FRANKENSTEIN. Let me put some of this nay-saying to rest. Kevin Anderson is not a no-name author. He has written numerous novels for the Star Wars universe (the bounty hunter trilogy is a lot of fun), and he has also written for X-Files. I'd say that's two pretty solid foundations to stand upon.

As for the story itself, I really en
Mike (the Paladin)
Hummmmm...... Well, I'm one of those people, possibly one of the few people who wasn't enthralled by Mary Shelly's classic. So even though I like "much of" Dean Koontz's writing I put off reading this one for some time.

Bottom line on it is that it's pretty good.

The book is readable. Koontz can do good serviceable writing, sometimes his prose is almost inspired. Here it's largely the former. Building on the general idea from the Shelly book he expands the story. We're led to believe that Shelly s
Logan
Mar 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: My enemies.
Recommended to Logan by: My enemies.
Having never read a Dean Koontz novel and intrigued by the C.S. Lewis quote at the beginning of this book (I'm a huge Lewis fan), I picked this up, thinking that maybe this would be a good first exposure to Koontz's writing.

It wasn't. If I had to describe it in one word, the word I'd pick would be "ridiculous." The word fits every character, scenario and action in the entire book.

We have Frankenstein's monster who, apparently, found God and joined a monastery. We have Dr. Frankenstein himself,
✨Susan✨
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, audible
I was surprised by how much I liked this read. It was a believable good story especially for around the Halloween season.
Helen
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Wow, this was a fun and a surprisingly interesting continuation of the Frankenstein story that ties directly into the original. Deucalion, the original monster, has been living in a Tibetan monastery where he has found a sense of peace. Of course, he eventually learns that his creator is still alive under the name of Doctor Helios and travels to New Orleans in preparation for the eventual confrontation and discovers that he is not alone and that Doctor Helios has been very, very busy.

Rebecca McNutt
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
Once again Dean Koontz has amazed me with his horrific and vibrant writing, in this case coupled with the talents of Kevin J. Anderson, giving a fantastic retelling of the horror classic Frankenstein. This book is definitely worth reading if you're a horror or thriller fan.
Tiffany PSquared
He Lives!
Both Frankenstein and his monster have achieved a level of immortality and find themselves living their 200th year in New Orleans. Nope, not joking.
But I like the way Koontz spins this one: above-ground burial crypts = easy access to bodies for Dr. Frankenstein's creepy endeavors. He's still creating people, only now he's kind of perfected it, and he's planting New World infiltrators in every area of society - police stations, churches, government. Well, that would explain a lot, huh?
Bu
Crystal
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was obsessed with reading more and more of this book until I was all the way through. One of my favorite features was the short chapters with a revolving point of view between different characters; making it hard to put down as you wanted to know each character's thoughts on each change of events.

Also, even though the point of view is constantly shifting, the plot still remains clear and consistent. Though so.e subjects were glossed over ; possibly being left for another volume, the main them
Jessica
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up this book at my mom's house and read the back cover, I literally said out loud, "Oh no he DIH-uhnt!" Thank you, Dean Koontz, for making me channel Ricki Lake reruns.

Koontz has apparently run out of ideas for trite, one-dimension characters, and he's abandoned all pretense at being original. Instead of taking a break from publishing utter crap, he copes with this by cannibalizing fucking FRANKENSTEIN.
Amanda
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Koontz fans/Frankenstein fans/horror lovers
Recommended to Amanda by: My mom
Shelves: horror, mystery, fantasy
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
Do you remember the first years of American Idol? When one of the contestants would give a particularly good, unique performance of a “classic”, Randy Jackson would say, “You made it your own, dawg!” Well, Dean Koontz certainly has made Frankenstein his own.

There is a certain wow factor that an author like Dean Koontz brings to his stories. He goes well beyond the basic storyline, with multilayered storylines, complex characters and well developed comic relief. It is with good reason that Koontz
Salymar
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Dean Koontz novel I read so I decided to do a little research about him; and here's what I read: According to his official website and book blog sites, Dean Koontz is one of the good authors who brought several of his books to appear on the New York Times Bestseller List. He is famous for his novels which can be perfectly described and categorized as suspense thrillers with elements of classic horror, science fiction and satire.

Frankenstein (Book One: Prodigal Son) is one of D
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. This was a really fun, fast paced read. I thought the main character of Deucalion was well done and gave you a character you could really cheer for in the story. The human characters were pretty two dimensional, except for Victor Frankenstein who was a good villian. This minor gripe aside, the story is worth a read.
Matthew
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems to be a pretty good start to this series. It opens more doors than it closes. I do not feel that someone could be satisfied reading just this book alone. I am interested to see what book 2 will bring. Once again, Koontz has created maniacal madmen driven by the torment in their minds and their desire to conquer at the cost of humanity.
Ben Boulden
Fast moving and enjoyable with Koontz's wonderful paranoia throughout. Its characters interesting and developed with a complex concept and smooth plotting. Its only significant weakness, its repetitiveness, seeming like filler or padding, but nothing that lagged the story too much.

I'm in for number two.
Martin Maher
`The Prodigal Son`is Dean Koontz`s modern tale of the well known classic; Frankenstein. I wasn`t sure whether I would like this, as remakes often aren`t that good, but decided to give it a try as I like Dean Koontz`s writing.

`The Prodigal Son`is a modern tale of Frankenstein set in modern day New Orleans in the USA. I really liked this book because he totally re-invented the story of Frankenstien in a way that made it work for modern readers. I was glad that the giant-monster-bolts-in-the-throa
Josh
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, read_2015, own
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series builds upon the classic book by Mary Shelley, using both Frankenstein and his monster as near immortals who each have lived in plain view of the public yet are hidden by the fictitious account of their evolution in the original book. As to not discard the concept, rather enhance and modernize it, the characters transition into a new landscape. Koontz maintains a thread of continuity while writing a new and fantastical setting for the monster and his creator.

PRO
Red Fields
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREDIBLE! Once I started reading, I wondered how an author's mind could wrap around a story and tell it like Dean Koontz did with his first installment of his trilogy, "Frankenstein." Once finished, you HAD to know what happened next! Let me tell you the about the hold this book held over me.

My national chain bookstore stays open here in Richmond VA till 11pm, right? Its now 10:45 p.m., I'm calling to see if they have in stock Book 2, they do, I'm gone!!! I make it back home around 11:30pm, d
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Koontz takes the original Frankenstein story and creates something wonderful. Taking the idea of the classic story, Koontz places Frankenstein and his monster in the modern world. This story leaves you asking who the real monster is – whether it the grotesque monster happens to be the real monster or whether the creator of such a creature was the real monster.

In the usual Koontz fashion we come to love and hate the necessary characters, watching as the story unfolds. With new modified versions o
Michael
I was interested in reading this book because it featured two of my literary interests in it; Frankenstein and a serial killer. While this book was entertaining, I just couldn’t enjoy this book at all. I kept comparing it to the original Frankenstein book and keep wishing this book referenced it more or had the same level of complexity. This book was simply a mad scientist creating his own race for his own gratification. Then you have the work obsessed detective and their partner who is in love ...more
Kenny Bellew
This books was published in 2005, and, with hindsight being 20/20, it would be easy to nitpick the technology that Koontz gets wrong when it comes to life longevity and over-the-counter supplements, and I could even forgive his telling us that the chief villain stores stolen body parts in real Tupperware in his freezer and not explain any concern for ice crystal damage to organ cells in long-term storage (in Tupperware). And it is a freezer, not some special liquid nitrogen setup. Even with its ...more
Bilbo Baggins
3.5
If you can get past the cringy idea of a modern Frankenstein,
Then it's pretty alright. Haha the serial killer stuff really got me, and it intrigues me enough to continue with the series.
Lady Delacour
Now that's how you tell a story.
So much fun!!
Loved the nod to Mary Shelley.
Well written and well narrated.
Joseph
Jul 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Angie
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror, monsters ,
Recommended to Angie by: no one
I first read this years ago when it was newly released and it was better than I remembered. The story is about Victor Frankenstein, who 200 years after he created his monster is still creating his new race in modern day new Orleans.

I liked how messed up his people are, so confused about why they are and most it seems, feeling like there is part of them missing. This ends up causing one of them to rebel and start murdering old race people( ordinary humans)

All the different ideas in this book seem
Bark
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, horror
This was a fast paced read for me and not many are these days. Koontz takes the two pivotal characters from Shelly's "Frankenstein" and brings them forward to modern times. Dr. Frankenstein is still up to his unethical tricks and has managed to prolong his own life through various methods while his first creation named "Deucalion". Deucalion has spent many years searching for purpose and has quietly been living among monks to find peace. He is brought out of his world of tranquility when he lear ...more

• The Eyes of Darkness
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Dark of the Woods/Soft Comes the Dragons
  • Demon Child
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Invasion
  • Dragonfly
  • Guardian
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • The Night Boat
  • His Father's Son
  • The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein (5 books)
  • City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #2)
  • Dead and Alive (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #3)
  • Lost Souls (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #4)
  • The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #5)
“People who were perfectly sane on Tuesday sometimes go nuts on Wednesday.” 6 likes
“The concept of a weary severed hand, exhausted from relentless creeping, made no sense.” 6 likes