A Summer Star Readathon discussion

Pre Read-A-Thon Chat & Introductions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Jul 18, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 27 comments Hello everyone! Just thought I'd open up our first thread for chatting before the Read-A-Thon starts! Then we could post a thread for each day maybe, like "Day 1" thread, "Day 2" thread, etc... Just a thought!

Can we all introduce ourselves, real quick?
I'm Danielle, I'm in USA - Michigan, in Eastern time zone. I'll be 28 years old at the end of this month, I live with my boyfriend in our new house we just bought, & we have a 2 year old chihuahua named Ivy! I read mostly YA, but I don't like too much fantasy or sci-fi, as my imagination is not that great (thanks mom). I'm obsessed with Starbucks' mocha soy lattes, massages, candles, Jamberry, traveling, crafting, cookies, and juicy tv shows :)

What do you all have planned during this Read-A-Thon?
I just have to work Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST and I'm taking care of my recovering puppy (she hurt her eye) so I'll be home a lot and able to read!

What do you all plan to read?
I want to read Love Walked In, Asylum, The Magicians, & The Light Between Oceans. I can try to finish The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (I'm at 60%), then I have it's sequel, The Wise Man's Fear. So we'll see which ones I get to!

Where do you plan to post the majority of your Read-A-Thon updates? I'll be updating the most here on Goodreads, but I'll also update my Instagram (@daniellewaltz), Twitter (@daniellewaltz), and my blog (www.thedailywaltz.com).

message 2: by Melisa (last edited Jul 12, 2016 05:43AM) (new)

Melisa (scatterhearte) I`m Melisa. I`m from Turkey and I`m 15. I love YA, fantasy, sci-fi and dystopian.

I`m going on vacation on 21st till 28th so I don`t think I can read so much then. But other than that I`m mostly at home and I want to read as much as I can.

I plan to finish Queen of Shadows. I also want to read A Monster Calls,A Court of Thorns and Roses, Chess Story and This Shattered World. I don`t think I can get to all of them but let`s just hope for the best!

I`ll probably just post here on Goodreads.

I`m really excited about this read-a-thon. I`m kind of in a reading slump right now and I really want to get out of it.

message 3: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Can we all introduce ourselves, real quick?
I'm Savannah from Iowa. 19 years old. Central Standard Time. I really enjoy YA, Dystopian and Science Fiction; not a huge fan of romance or fantasy though. Michael Crichton and Rick Yancey (along with James Dashner) are a few of my favourite authors.

Considering I am a college student I will be doing schoolwork as well as reading. I am taking a college algebra course (in class) and a health course (online) during this summer semester. I also do work study in my Community Colleges Microbiology lab/class during this summer so I'll have to do some work there during the Read-A-Thon.

I'm actually not sure of what all I'm going to read yet, I know one of them will be Panic In Level Four by Richard Preston as it is roughly 188 pages and will count for the book less than 200 pages. Apart from that I'm unsure of which i want to read so that will be something to figure out this coming week.

Where do you plan to post the majority of your Read-A-Thon updates?
Probably here on goodreads and on my twitter @GeekishBook and possibly on my blog geekishbooks.wordpress.com .

I'm excited to do this as it is my first read-a-thon ever, and I'm in kind of a reading slump right now.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (bluekitten982) Introductions:
I'm Adriana, I live in California. I'm 33 years old. I'll pretty much read any genre as long as the synopsis intregues me. I tend to gravitate towards YA and fantasy. I love strong female leads.

I pretty much just hope to get this done. I've never participated in a readathon before.

My book list: the wide window by Lemony Snicket, slaughter-house-five by Kurt Vonnegut, Elena of the stars by C. P. Rosenthal, ugly business by Kate Johnson, the book of ivy and the revolution of ivy by Amy Engle, and Queen of babble by Meg Cabot.

Where do you plan to post the majority of your Read-A-Thon updates? Goodreads, but I mostly update my reading log.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki My name is Nikki, I'm 22 years old and Swedish (no idea about the time zone). I live with my boyfriend, no pets but both want dogs, and I mostly read and colour in my colouring books, when I'm not in school though. I study international marketing, my second year is just done, and I'll be studying in England for the next semester, which I'm super excited about! Oh, and I watch a liiiiittle bit too much QI and Would I Lie To You. Like, crazy much.

I decided not to work this summer, so I'm probably free as a bird during the read-a-thon. We might go to a zoo here in Sweden one day, and then we'll visit my mum and little sister and stepdad in my hometown one week, but nothing is 100 % decided yet.

I think it would be good if you did a separate thread for the TBRs, I think it will be easier to see what people are planning to read then! But since BookTubeAThon starts on the 18th, I have tons and tons and tons to read! I'll read three of the short stories from Stars Above by Marissa Meyer, The Wrath and the Dawn duology by Renée Ahdieh and Not That Kind Of Girl by Lena Dunham. Then maybe a Swedish book for the under 200 pages challenge, Unhinged by A.G. Howard and Born Weird by Andrew Kaufman.

I'll post here! Maybe you can do separate threads for the updates as well? Maybe like the AYearAThon, they have two days in each thread (so update for day 1 and 2, for example).

Hope everyone does well during the read-a-thon! I'm excited!

message 6: by Savannah (new)

Savannah I'm having a tough time finding a book to go with a book featuring summer vacation/summer fun, any ideas?

message 7: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Just wondering if we can possibly each make our own topic in which we can talk about how we are doing with the challenges/reading? or at least a place we can link people to blogs/videos where we update how we're doing?

message 8: by Gissel (new)

Gissel (literarylionblog) | 1 comments Savannah wrote: "Just wondering if we can possibly each make our own topic in which we can talk about how we are doing with the challenges/reading? or at least a place we can link people to blogs/videos where we up..." that sounds like a good idea, maybe chatzy? or a new forum?

message 9: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 27 comments I created threads!

message 10: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (becloseau) | 2 comments Hi I'm Bronwyn. A little late for an intro but better late then never. I'm from Australia and this is the first read-a-thon I've been apart of.

This is my (maybe a little ambitious) TBR
The Future of Us
A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
The New Hunger
Opal
Girl of Nightmares
Adaptation
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver

message 11: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 27 comments Nice to meet you all and I love seeing your TBR lists! :-)