Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Memorias de Un Impostor: D. Guillen de Lampart, Rey de Mexico (1872)
This topic is about Memorias de Un Impostor
Questions > Edition in two volumes

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alcare91 | 47 comments Hi,
I am a new Librarian, I have a doubt that I can't find on the Manual, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

The books I am attaching to this thread are volume 1 and 2 of a novel named ¨Memorias de un impostor¨ they are listed separately as different editions of the novel. The problem is that the rest of the editions are in one volume so my question is:

Should and edition in two volumes under the same isbn be listed together or separately?
These are listed separately, each with the correct cover, indicating that they are volume 1 and 2, but I am wondering if they are listed correctly, or if they should be listed as one. If so, how should I indicate that the edition is in two volumes.

Memorias de Un Impostor: D. Guillen de Lampart, Rey de Mexico (1872) Tomo II

message 2: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed Yosri (yosri) do combine:
* Different publications of the same book.
* Different formats of the book (hardcover, paperback, audio).
* Editions/translations of the book in other languages. Even though many translations differ significantly, we've made the decision to combine them all, and have people note the differences in their reviews.

don't combine:
* 2-in-1 books or boxed sets that include the given book.
* Cliff notes or other works about the given book.
* Adaptations. The book should remain separated from its parent work, with the adaptor listed as primary author.

Some of the common guides are :-
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/8...

https://www.goodreads.com/help/list

Author have the ability to change which edition of the book is the default, which will come up in searches by title and show on author profile. Here's how: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

Alcare91 | 47 comments I'm sorry none of this answers my question.

This is not an alternate cover edition, it is not a box set containing the novel and something else. It is not an out of print, they are not two separate editions and they are not different formats.

I'll give and example to make it clearer. I'll use another famous book to explain. The Three Musketeers is one novel. Most editions in one single book. But if there was an edition dividing the novel into two volumes, with two different physical books under the same ISBN. Should that edition be listed as one edition. Or Should each volume have it's own entry indicating the volume number?

The books attached in this thread are one novel divided in two parts by the publisher in the publisher's edition. But it may not be divided in other editions. But as each volume has it's own cover, and page count, maybe it should be listed as two books. That's my question.
This is not about combining editions. It's about the same edition having two entries because the novel is in two parts in this specific edition.

message 4: by Mohamed (last edited Jul 09, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Mohamed Yosri (yosri) I believe if the book is originally published under 2 volume/vice-versa, and then reprint as 1 volume, it falls under 2-in-1 books or boxed sets that include the given book.

As such, don't combine.

Otherwise, you may want to wait for other librarian to give in their opinions.

message 6: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed Yosri (yosri) 1. If the books were sold as a set with only one ISBN, then there should only be one entry in the Goodreads database. "2 volume set" may be added to the edition field.

2. If other publishers give each volume its own ISBN those should be added as individual entries, one for each ISBN. Individual parts should only be combined with other similar parts: Vol 1 with Vol 1, Vol 2 with Vol 2 etc. Editions containing the whole work, either in a single book or a complete set like the example in your first question, may be combined together, but should not be combinedwith various parts.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Alcare91 | 47 comments Thanks for the help! I will leave them separately for now as some user´s are commenting on them separately.

Alcare91 | 47 comments Users*

message 9: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22053 comments Ursula wrote: "Thanks for the help! I will leave them separately for now as some user´s are commenting on them separately."

I've updated the title, edition field and description to indicate both volumes are contained in the same isbn.
Since both covers are different, I've treated the one without isbn as alternate cover edition and indicated in the description from which volume the cover is.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5766 comments & I do think the section of the manual that Mohamed quoted in message 2 could be made clearer. :)

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Carol ♔ Type, Oh Queen! ♔ wrote: "& I do think the section of the manual that Mohamed quoted in message 2 could be made clearer. :)"

then you can start a thread if the librarian manual changes folder, suggesting clearing wording