Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Friedrich Nietzsche Biographie in drei Bänden
Policies & Practices > Works with one ISBN and multiple books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is the common practice for multibook editions, especially when they share the same ISBN? Example:
Friedrich Nietzsche: Biographie by Curt Paul Janz has traditionally been published as three distinguished books. Almost all publishers have one identical ISBN for all three books together. So it seems logical to me that the entry is for all three books together and that all editions with this feature are combined. Now my questions:
1. What to do with a single book that is part of such an ensemble? Currently I am reading book 1 of this biographie, I added this book without an ISBN. Is that ok or does it violate the authors intention too much?

2.I also combined this standalone book with a french edition of part one. It seems to be a direct translation from what I read on the internet, but the french publisher seems to have given a different ISBN to each of the books.
Should a single book be combined with the complete edition instead? And what if it has its own ISBN?

3.Also, a dutch publisher has published all three parts in one single book. I kept that as a separate entry, because it seemed to me like the 3-in-1 rule applies.

I found a similar case with a book by Friedrich Albert Lange (History of Materialism), so I would like to know how to treat all those cases.
Looking forward to your input!

message 2: by vicki_girl (last edited Mar 12, 2013 06:40PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments 1. If the books were sold as a set with only one ISBN, then there should only be one entry in the Goodreads database. "2 volume set" may be added to the edition field.

2. If other publishers give each volume its own ISBN those should be added as individual entries, one for each ISBN. Individual parts should only be combined with other similar parts: Vol 1 with Vol 1, Vol 2 with Vol 2 etc. Editions containing the whole work, either in a single book or a complete set like the example in your first question, may be combined together, but should not be combinedwith various parts.

3. See previous answer.

Also of note with these types of things, sometimes books like this get published with different numbers of volumes. For such a case, Vol 1 of 2 would not be combined with Vol 1 of 3, for example.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

vicki_girl wrote: "1. If the books were sold as a set with only one ISBN, then there should only be one entry in the Goodreads database. "2 volume set" may be added to the edition field.
Yes, "in drei Bänden" seems to be part of the title in this case.

2. If other publishers giv..."
So adding a single book from an abovementioned volume set to that french which has an ISBN would be doublicating a book and thats not ok?

3. See previous answer.
Ok

And yes, combining 1/2 with 1/3 seemed wrong to me, too.

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

message 4: by vicki_girl (last edited Mar 13, 2013 08:26AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments the_mgt wrote: "So adding a single book from an abovementioned volume set to that french which has an ISBN would be doublicating a book and thats not ok?"

Yes, it would be considered a duplicate. No, it should not have been added.