The Sword and Laser discussion

Audiobook Request Thread

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (last edited Jul 07, 2016 01:47AM) (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Since Audible now allows one free book to be sent to you from other users. Thought it could be useful to set up a request thread to find those who have a book you've been considering but were not so interested as to spend a credit/cash on.

Or would this be something Audible would crack down on? I can't decide.

Anyway, I have a few books to request that I've been on the fence about that I'll have to look up and I'll happily answer what requests I can.

Or perhaps I'm the only one cheap and broke enough to find this useful.

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1672 comments Yeah Audible is too expensive for me too....I wish there is no membership fee on top of the book price. I did register and get the one freebie but that's it.

Is the free book from other users only for people who haven't registered yet?

message 3: by Dustin (last edited Jul 07, 2016 10:23AM) (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Silvana wrote: "Yeah Audible is too expensive for me too....I wish there is no membership fee on top of the book price. I did register and get the one freebie but that's it.

Is the free book from other users onl..."

I believe everyone can be sent one free book from someone who already has it. It's sent to your email, so I don't think you need an account, but if you have an account attached to that email, then you just accept or refuse it on your Audible account page. I think....If not, you have to set up an account. This may void all future new membership promotions, I don't know.

It doesn't cost anything to send a book, you just pay the book's price by accepting it, but the first book you accept is free. It should say so before you accept it.

message 4: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 136 comments Silvana wrote: "Yeah Audible is too expensive for me too....I wish there is no membership fee on top of the book price."

You don't have to be a member to buy books on Audible.

It's just that if you're a member you get 30% off any books, you get one free book a month, and there are frequent sales.

message 5: by Silvana (last edited Jul 07, 2016 07:57PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1672 comments Tobias wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Yeah Audible is too expensive for me too....I wish there is no membership fee on top of the book price."

You don't have to be a member to buy books on Audible.

It's just that if y..."

Ah yes, my mistake. Thank you for pointing that out.
Still, both normal price and membership plan added with 30% discount for additional one is not within my budget, at least not yet. *sigh

message 6: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2900 comments IF you're in the US many libraries loan audiobooks, too, usually via Overdrive.

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1672 comments Aye, US readers are so lucky. I have never found any library in my country (I live in the capital) with decent print SFF collection.

message 8: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 44 comments Kindle daily deals + whispersync add-on is another good option,
Or, checking out the Kindle ebook from your library, which also qualifies you for whispersync pricing. That doesn't necessarily work outside the US though.

In regards to the OP, keep in mind there's just one free book per account. So, use it where it counts.

message 9: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments You can also do a free trial of amazon unlimited, get the whispersync price for anything available for free with unlimited, then cancel your trial after a month :)

Not much new good stuff on unlimited, but a lot of the classics are.

Good tip about whispersync after checking out the book from the library - I hadn't tried that.

message 10: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments I thought about it for a while and have decided. The Raksura books are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I've waited for the third one to go sale, but it hasn't to my knowledge. Is anyone able to send it to me?

The Siren Depths

Anyone else have requests?