Start by marking “The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)

The Siren Depths

(The Books of the Raksura #3)

All his life, Moon roamed the Three Worlds, a solitary wanderer forced to hide his true nature--until he was reunited with his own kind, the Raksura, and found a new life as consort to Jade, sister queen of the Indigo Cloud court.

But now a rival court has laid claim to Moon, and Jade may or may not be willing to fight for him. Beset by doubts, Moon must travel
Published December 4th 2012 by Night Shade Books (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Siren Depths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Siren Depths

Start your review of The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)
N.K. Jemisin
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an early draft of this, so take my comments with salt since I don't know what the final's like. But that's OK, because I loved it and I can't see how any final edits could have diminished that! In this episode of Days of Our Draconic Lives, Moon's more or less settled into life at Indigo Cloud, although he's anxious because he and Jade haven't managed to make a clutch yet despite lots of enthusiastic attempts. But before Stone can slap him in the head and tell him to chillax, gasp! V ...more
Justine
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was just so good. Somehow these books manage to just keep getting better, and this was probably my favourite one so far. I am just thoroughly attached to the characters, which is a credit to the very rich development they receive from Wells.

This one is going on my favourites-2018 shelf; probably the whole series should be on there, but you get the picture.
Mayim de Vries
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The Raksura series is just a perfect bedtime story for grownups. A book that you can read at the end of a trying day.

Before you ask: no, it is not about sirens.

The book is once more centred on Moon, a Raksura consort. After discovering who he really is in book one and embracing this belonging in book two, the third instalment in the series deals with the mystery of Moon’s bloodline. On the forefront of the story surrounding this issue, the difference between what he is and what he is supposed to be
Mimi
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic, emotionally charged end to the trilogy.

* * * * *

Rereading on audio with the Flight of Fantasy group

* * * * *

Now that the Indigo Cloud court has settled into their new home, Moon and Jade focus their attention on making babies, but conceiving proves to be more difficult than either had anticipated.

Meanwhile, a powerful court with a powerful reigning queen on the other side of the Reaches makes a claim on Moon. She thinks he is the son she lost during a
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

So much things happened in this book I just don't know where to start. Many things are explained, many things have happened here. And the most important - we finally found out what happened to Moon's family.

But it wasn't just that, this book was really and so much emotional. It had me smiling many times, and crying just as much. I sobbed at 3 am in the morning, and then I decided it would be the best idea to calm down and continue after I wake up, because, damn, it hu
Milda Page Runner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This series became my comfort read.
Alissa
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
The one thing he hadn’t expected to do was to miss Indigo Cloud so much. He had been leaving people all his life, to the point where all the turns seemed like an uninterrupted progression of departures, and there had been people he had missed terribly. But this was a never-ending ache in his chest, and every thought of Jade, Stone, Chime, Balm, the fledglings, Heart, Bell, Merit, Rill, Bark, Bone, Blossom, the other Arbora, was an active pain.

You’ll get over it, he told himself. You always get
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Once again, Jade has to fight off all the bitches trying to steal her man.

;-)

That's not what the story is about at all, of course. But I love it that almost every book has Jade saving Moon. It's so par for the course in Fantasy AND Romantic stories...except that this time the Queen is doing all of the saving.

;-)

Sometimes - 3 books in - it’s hard to understand why Moon is still so distrustful. During this re-read, I started counting the time - and I get it. It’s short.

S
Lindsay
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A wonderful conclusion to the first Raksura trilogy, deepening Moon's story by making him understand his origins and how invested he now is in Indigo Cloud.

The Indigo Cloud court is rocked by the revelation that Moon's original court had survivors and that they want him back, not recognizing Jade's claim on him at all. By Raksura custom Moon must return to his court of origin. This comes on top of Moon and Jade not being able to conceive a clutch and leaves Moon devastated, abandoned
Gergana

The Siren Depths is, sadly, the last of "The Books of the Raksura" and I actually had to force myself to pause reading it for a week so I can make the whole experience last longer!

When I first opened "The Cloud Roads" I was certain that the story will be too far fetched for me, but I was willing to give it a try, because one of my other top favourite authors of all time, N.K.Jemisin, recommended it. And although the synopsis didn't sound like something I would typically look for I am so glad th
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
5 lovely stars!!
This is one book that brought tears to my eyes not only once, because it is so tender and emotional!

Told in an easy rythm and a gripping pace, Moon's tale will have you ride an emotional rollecoaster this time around. And you'll probably do it at the edge of your seat biting your nails!

Moon has to go home. After such a long time spent alone he finds out he has a family that wants him back. He is forced to leave Jade and answer the call of his mother.

And yes, I
Choko
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Wow! What can I say about this wonderfully creative and tender story? I loved it!!! I was already in love with the characters, but Moon's mom, she just took over! What a bad-ass! A perfect match for Stone :-)

Overall I am sad that the trilogy is over, despite my belief that major fantasy of this type is best suited for the 3 book format. I will miss Moon, Stone and Chime and most probably will revisit them soon.
Kat Heatherington
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Martha Wells is amazing. The 3rd book in the Raksura series fully delivers on the promise of the first two. It's poignant enough to make you cry, thoughtful and thought-provoking, funny, fast-moving and action packed as always. I am delighted by Moon's personal growth and the deepening of his relationship with his culture & society. And Jade! also: i continue to absolutely adore the inverted gender dynamics of Raksuran society. i love it that Moon spends some time worrying if he's pretty eno ...more
Mitticus

A new adventure and journey through the Three Worlds. Why Moon ended alone in the woods, and why the Fell are so interested in the Raksura? well, read this book to find out ;)

-RTC--
TheBookSmugglers
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Oh, what a pleasure it is to return to the Three Worlds and the Raksura! Such a rich world, such an incredibly fun and adventurous story, such a bunch of well-rounded characters!

In this third (and final?) book in the Books of the Raksura series, we continue to follow the long-term tribulations of the folks from Indigo Cloud court as well as the protagonist Moon’s internal struggles.

Indigo Cloud court is still settling down in th
Yune
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was going to give this four stars, since it's not a perfect book, but given that I pre-ordered it, dropped everything to read it as soon as it arrived, finished it the same evening, then sat quietly with the book in my hands musing over how much I love this series... It deserved the upgrade.

I think one of the (several) amazing things about this series is how it doesn't flag. Everything that I thought marvelous about the first two volumes -- the vivid depiction of the non-human Raks
Seregil of Rhiminee
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Finding originality and true talent in today's overcrowded fantasy market is difficult, but fortunately there are still authors like Martha Wells who write quality fantasy for adults. The Books of the Raksura series can be seen as a proof of her writing talents, because it continues to get better and more complex with each new book. Each time I've read a book by Martha Wells, there's been one question on my mind: How does she manage to write so original and absor
Athena
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers, character-driven storyline fans
Recommended to Athena by: Carol. Mimi
Oh my, this was a tasty read! The third and final volume of the immensely satisfying Books of the Raksura, The Siren Depths is every single bit as good as the two preceding books and marks the end of a terrific trilogy. It's a brilliant conclusion to an extraordinary tale, visionary and realistic at the same time.

Wells' writing is compellingly well-crafted and the three novels that make up the series work beautifully together. Each of the three books has a great plot with interesting characters and a fulfilling
Anastasia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading about Moon. He is the equivalent of a princess in a female dominated society. Martha Wells does a good job of flipping the patriarchal society into a matriarchal one.
Amy Aelleah
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this might be my favorite to date. It's really difficult for me to pin down why, though. I guess I just like the story line. And a couple of the new characters. (Malachite and Shade especially.)
Stephen
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Siren Depths is the third book in Martha Wells’ Books of the Raksura series. The novel brings an interesting story and compelling characters together for a fitting end to the trilogy. But is it the end?

One thing I liked about the story was how it tells a tale on two fronts. One one hand there’s the immediate story of what Moon is doing and where he’s being forced to go. On the other hand, The Siren Depths ties in with the previous novels to finally reveal Moon’s full backstory. R
Clinton
I guess ima have to be "that" guy again and not like a book everyone else likes. I honestly cant see why anyone would like or love this book. What redeeming qualities does it have? What does it do right? If you can answer Nothing, to both of those questions, congrats your just like me.

Everything I have to say in this review can be reflected on the series as a whole.

The main character, whatever his name was, has to be one of the most infuriating characters Ive ever had the displeasure of readin
heidi
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book wraps up Wells' extremely strong fantasy trilogy, and it upholds the standards of the previous books. I wasn't certain where the tension would come from, but at long last, the family Moon has always wished for shows up in his life again. But of course, nothing is ever that uncomplicated. He's a settled young adult now, and being sent back into the role of a young prince is not his idea of a good time.

I want to give Moon the BIGGEST hug. His scars from a lifetime of not-belonging and m
Melissa McShane
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the previous volumes in this trilogy, The Cloud Roads and The Serpent Sea, but this one really blew me away. In the first two books, protagonist Moon's mysterious past underlies the plot, but takes a back seat to the survival of the court he's become a part of. Now, with Indigo Cloud having found a new home and needing to restore it, Moon's past suddenly becomes very important: his home colony has finally found him, and even though he's mated to Jade, sister Queen of Indigo Cloud, they want him ...more
Just A. Bean
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Perfect finish to my favourite fantasy trilogy in years. It brought together all the relationship threads, solved all the remaining mysteries and managed to introduce some great new characters to boot.

I really loved all the characters in the new court, especially the queen, who was completely badass. I really appreciate how this series deals with culture clash and social isolation. It never feels contrived, even though the characters are shape shifting dragons, and the miscommunicati
Contrarius
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think this was my favorite of the series -- lots of emotional depth and complications, plenty of action, plenty of politics. I was still about ready to slap the iPhone the next time I heard the narrator say somebody "snapped his wings", but for the most part I didn't even notice the simplicity of the prose as I did in the previous books.

My heart just about broke for poor Moon throughout the first section of the book -- sniff! sniffle! -- and that kind of involvement is a sign of go
Joseph
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
What's that saying? You can choose your friends but not your family? Moon is still trying to settle into Indigo Cloud court when he discovers he may not be as much of an orphan as he thought he was ... More Raksuran politics, this time with extra familial complications, more Fell doing bad things, yet more tiny, tiny glimpses of a sprawling and fascinating world (seriously: I love the worldbuilding that's been going on here) and maybe even a glimpse at some distant history all combine into an eminen ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

Great adventure and wrap up to this series.
Nick Fagerlund
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book three of Martha Wells’ TOTALLY EXCELLENT Raksura books. Just as good as the previous two! Recommended wholeheartedly.

So something occurred to me as I was reading this one: the Fell are crypto-vampires. Wells did a thorough enough job at deviating from the template that it took me a long time to figure it out: they don’t suck blood, they eat meat; they’re not undead, they’re living creatures with their own ecology. They don’t transform some victims into copies of themselves, alth
Charty
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed getting a chance to spend time in the world of the Raksura again. This third book nicely wraps up Moon's journey from solitary Raksura who reluctantly joins the court of Indigo Cloud, to truly being a part of that family. His being able to do that is encapsulated in his journey to court of Onyx Night, where he learns surprising things about his origins and family, while confronting the dark plans of the Fell.

Not to give too much away, but while Moon is still plagu
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Raven Tower
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Swordheart
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire, #3)
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Minor Mage
  • Firewalk (Recondito #1)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Empress of Forever
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • The Flowers of Vashnoi (Vorkosigan Saga, #14.1)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
Martha Wells has written many fantasy novels, including The Books of the Raksura series (beginning with The Cloud Roads), the Ile-Rien series (including The Death of the Necromancer) as well as YA fantasy novels, short stories, media tie-ins (for Star Wars and Stargate: Atlantis), and non-fiction. Her most recent fantasy novel is The Harbors of the Sun in 2017, the final novel in The Books of the Raksura series. She has a new serie ...more

The Books of the Raksura (5 books)
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura #2)
  • The Edge of Worlds (The Books of the Raksura, #4)
  • The Harbors of the Sun (The Books of the Raksura, #5)
“About forty turns ago there was a colony in the east, and a warrior named Swift, who had to change her name to Sorrow...” 5 likes
“He was starting to realize that maybe he didn’t actually know the difference between trusting people and just pretending to trust them while bracing for the betrayal.” 2 likes