Start by marking “The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)

The Siren Depths

(The Books of the Raksura #3)

All his life, Moon roamed the Three Worlds, a solitary wanderer forced to hide his true nature--until he was reunited with his own kind, the Raksura, and found a new life as consort to Jade, sister queen of the Indigo Cloud court.

But now a rival court has laid claim to Moon, and Jade may or may not be willing to fight for him. Beset by doubts, Moon must travel in the compa
Published December 4th 2012 by Night Shade Books (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Siren Depths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Siren Depths

Start your review of The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)
N.K. Jemisin
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an early draft of this, so take my comments with salt since I don't know what the final's like. But that's OK, because I loved it and I can't see how any final edits could have diminished that! In this episode of Days of Our Draconic Lives, Moon's more or less settled into life at Indigo Cloud, although he's anxious because he and Jade haven't managed to make a clutch yet despite lots of enthusiastic attempts. But before Stone can slap him in the head and tell him to chillax, gasp! ...more
Phrynne
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful and definitely the best out of the first three books. Since I gave the first two a perfect five each this one must be at least a six - or even a 10.

The world building continued on a level of its own. Wells has a particularly vivid imagination and the ability to draw perfect word pictures so the reader can visualise the scenes too. The final chapters in the Depths are a great example of this. I felt as stressed as the Raksura were in and under the water.

Best of all of course
Mayim de Vries
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The Raksura series is just a perfect bedtime story for grownups. A book that you can read at the end of a trying day.

Before you ask: no, it is not about sirens.

The book is once more centred on Moon, a Raksura consort. After discovering who he really is in book one and embracing this belonging in book two, the third instalment in the series deals with the mystery of Moon’s bloodline. On the forefront of the story surrounding this issue, the difference between what he is and what he is supposed t
Justine
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was just so good. Somehow these books manage to just keep getting better, and this was probably my favourite one so far. I am just thoroughly attached to the characters, which is a credit to the very rich development they receive from Wells.

This one is going on my favourites-2018 shelf; probably the whole series should be on there, but you get the picture.
Mimi
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic, emotionally charged end to the trilogy.

* * * * *

Rereading on audio with the Flight of Fantasy group

* * * * *

Now that the Indigo Cloud court has settled into their new home, Moon and Jade focus their attention on making babies, but conceiving proves to be more difficult than either had anticipated.

Meanwhile, a powerful court with a powerful reigning queen on the other side of the Reaches makes a claim on Moon. She thinks he is the son she lost during a Fell attack on her colony man
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

So much things happened in this book I just don't know where to start. Many things are explained, many things have happened here. And the most important - we finally found out what happened to Moon's family.

But it wasn't just that, this book was really and so much emotional. It had me smiling many times, and crying just as much. I sobbed at 3 am in the morning, and then I decided it would be the best idea to calm down and continue after I wake up, because, damn, it hurt t
Alissa
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
The one thing he hadn’t expected to do was to miss Indigo Cloud so much. He had been leaving people all his life, to the point where all the turns seemed like an uninterrupted progression of departures, and there had been people he had missed terribly. But this was a never-ending ache in his chest, and every thought of Jade, Stone, Chime, Balm, the fledglings, Heart, Bell, Merit, Rill, Bark, Bone, Blossom, the other Arbora, was an active pain.

You’ll get over it, he told himself. You always get
Milda Page Runner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This series became my comfort read.
Fiona
Jul 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Nobody had been eaten, so Moon was counting it as a pretty good day.

Book three of the Books of the Raksura begins with so consequences from the discovery made late in the second; Moon, former wanderer, wasn't abandoned by his home court after all - and they still exist. Now it seems, they want him back.

It's a more emotional book than the last two were, and while there's a moment of "one conversation would have solved a lot of this angst", I'm giving it a pass. Mostly because it passes quickly, a
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Once again, Jade has to fight off all the bitches trying to steal her man.

;-)

That's not what the story is about at all, of course. But I love it that almost every book has Jade saving Moon. It's so par for the course in Fantasy AND Romantic stories...except that this time the Queen is doing all of the saving.

;-)

Sometimes - 3 books in - it’s hard to understand why Moon is still so distrustful. During this re-read, I started counting the time - and I get it. It’s short.

So, word of caution: Ther
Gergana
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing

The Siren Depths is, sadly, the last of "The Books of the Raksura" and I actually had to force myself to pause reading it for a week so I can make the whole experience last longer!

When I first opened "The Cloud Roads" I was certain that the story will be too far fetched for me, but I was willing to give it a try, because one of my other top favourite authors of all time, N.K.Jemisin, recommended it. And although the synopsis didn't sound like something I would typically look for I am so glad th
Lindsay
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A wonderful conclusion to the first Raksura trilogy, deepening Moon's story by making him understand his origins and how invested he now is in Indigo Cloud.

The Indigo Cloud court is rocked by the revelation that Moon's original court had survivors and that they want him back, not recognizing Jade's claim on him at all. By Raksura custom Moon must return to his court of origin. This comes on top of Moon and Jade not being able to conceive a clutch and leaves Moon devastated, abandoned and on the
Choko
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Wow! What can I say about this wonderfully creative and tender story? I loved it!!! I was already in love with the characters, but Moon's mom, she just took over! What a bad-ass! A perfect match for Stone :-)

Overall I am sad that the trilogy is over, despite my belief that major fantasy of this type is best suited for the 3 book format. I will miss Moon, Stone and Chime and most probably will revisit them soon.
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
5 lovely stars!!
This is one book that brought tears to my eyes not only once, because it is so tender and emotional!

Told in an easy rythm and a gripping pace, Moon's tale will have you ride an emotional rollecoaster this time around. And you'll probably do it at the edge of your seat biting your nails!

Moon has to go home. After such a long time spent alone he finds out he has a family that wants him back. He is forced to leave Jade and answer the call of his mother.

And yes, I did ask myself al
TheBookSmugglers
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Oh, what a pleasure it is to return to the Three Worlds and the Raksura! Such a rich world, such an incredibly fun and adventurous story, such a bunch of well-rounded characters!

In this third (and final?) book in the Books of the Raksura series, we continue to follow the long-term tribulations of the folks from Indigo Cloud court as well as the protagonist Moon’s internal struggles.

Indigo Cloud court is still settling down in their new home when news a
Yune
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was going to give this four stars, since it's not a perfect book, but given that I pre-ordered it, dropped everything to read it as soon as it arrived, finished it the same evening, then sat quietly with the book in my hands musing over how much I love this series... It deserved the upgrade.

I think one of the (several) amazing things about this series is how it doesn't flag. Everything that I thought marvelous about the first two volumes -- the vivid depiction of the non-human Raksuran culture
Kat Heatherington
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Martha Wells is amazing. The 3rd book in the Raksura series fully delivers on the promise of the first two. It's poignant enough to make you cry, thoughtful and thought-provoking, funny, fast-moving and action packed as always. I am delighted by Moon's personal growth and the deepening of his relationship with his culture & society. And Jade! also: i continue to absolutely adore the inverted gender dynamics of Raksuran society. i love it that Moon spends some time worrying if he's pretty enough. ...more
Mitticus

A new adventure and journey through the Three Worlds. Why Moon ended alone in the woods, and why the Fell are so interested in the Raksura? well, read this book to find out ;)

-RTC--
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
Jun 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What a satisfying wrap up to this terrific series! The Siren Depths was also the best in the series, it explored in depth the culture, psychology, socio-politic in and between the Raksura courts. And we also got addition of new characters which was splendid, especially Malachite that was even way cooler than Stone! Wells finally gave much expected answers about Fells and their seemingly contradictory sophisticated crossbreeding invention with their parasitic-animalistic nature. The greatest stre ...more
Seregil of Rhiminee
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Finding originality and true talent in today's overcrowded fantasy market is difficult, but fortunately there are still authors like Martha Wells who write quality fantasy for adults. The Books of the Raksura series can be seen as a proof of her writing talents, because it continues to get better and more complex with each new book. Each time I've read a book by Martha Wells, there's been one question on my mind: How does she manage to write so original and a
Athena
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, this was a tasty read! The third and final volume of the immensely satisfying Books of the Raksura, The Siren Depths is every single bit as good as the two preceding books and marks the end of a terrific trilogy. It's a brilliant conclusion to an extraordinary tale, visionary and realistic at the same time.

Wells' writing is compellingly well-crafted and the three novels that make up the series work beautifully together. Each of the three books has a great plot with interesting charac
Amy Aelleah
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this might be my favorite to date. It's really difficult for me to pin down why, though. I guess I just like the story line. And a couple of the new characters. (Malachite and Shade especially.) ...more
Anastasia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading about Moon. He is the equivalent of a princess in a female dominated society. Martha Wells does a good job of flipping the patriarchal society into a matriarchal one.
Clinton
I guess ima have to be "that" guy again and not like a book everyone else likes. I honestly cant see why anyone would like or love this book. What redeeming qualities does it have? What does it do right? If you can answer Nothing, to both of those questions, congrats your just like me.

Everything I have to say in this review can be reflected on the series as a whole.

The main character, whatever his name was, has to be one of the most infuriating characters Ive ever had the displeasure of readin
Saphirablue
Chrystopher
Jun 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“‘About forty turns ago there was a colony in the east, and a warrior named Swift, who had to change her name to Sorrow…’”

I’m not crying YOU’RE crying SHUT UP
Stephen
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Siren Depths is the third book in Martha Wells’ Books of the Raksura series. The novel brings an interesting story and compelling characters together for a fitting end to the trilogy. But is it the end?

One thing I liked about the story was how it tells a tale on two fronts. One one hand there’s the immediate story of what Moon is doing and where he’s being forced to go. On the other hand, The Siren Depths ties in with the previous novels to finally reveal Moon’s full backstory. Readers final
Melissa McShane
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the previous volumes in this trilogy, The Cloud Roads and The Serpent Sea, but this one really blew me away. In the first two books, protagonist Moon's mysterious past underlies the plot, but takes a back seat to the survival of the court he's become a part of. Now, with Indigo Cloud having found a new home and needing to restore it, Moon's past suddenly becomes very important: his home colony has finally found him, and even though he's mated to Jade, sister Queen of Indigo Cloud, they ...more
Contrarius
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think this was my favorite of the series -- lots of emotional depth and complications, plenty of action, plenty of politics. I was still about ready to slap the iPhone the next time I heard the narrator say somebody "snapped his wings", but for the most part I didn't even notice the simplicity of the prose as I did in the previous books.

My heart just about broke for poor Moon throughout the first section of the book -- sniff! sniffle! -- and that kind of involvement is a sign of good writing.
Allison
The Siren Depths answers some questions that I had hoped to learn about in the second book and the Fell also return as a threat. Most importantly, though, Moon finally figures out his place among the Raksura.

This is great high fantasy. The stakes are still not world-wide, even though they are higher in this book than the previous ones. But they are high for the characters and the Raksura Courts, and the world remains vivid and exotic - a world to get lost in.

I love the details on interactions b

• The Grief of Stones  (The Cemeteries of Amalo, #2)
  • The Redoubtable Pali Avramapul (The Red Company Reformed, #2)
  • Paladin's Hope (The Saint of Steel, #3)
  • Aurelius (to be called) Magnus
  • In the Company of Gentlemen
  • Terec and the Wild
  • Petty Treasons (Lays of the Hearth-Fire #0.5)
  • Nikoles (Tuyo, #2)
  • Whiskeyjack (Greenwing & Dart, #3)
  • Blackcurrant Fool (Greenwing & Dart, #4)
  • Love-in-a-Mist (Greenwing & Dart, #5)
  • Plum Duff (Greenwing & Dart #6)
  • The Return of Fitzroy Angursell (The Red Company Reformed, #1)
  • Portrait of a Wide Seas Islander (Lays of the Hearth-Fire #1.5)
  • Any House in a Storm (Hidden Sanctuary #1)
  • A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk & Robot, #2)
See top shelves…
Martha Wells has been an SF/F writer since her first fantasy novel was published in 1993, and her work includes The Books of the Raksura series, The Death of the Necromancer, the Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy, The Murderbot Diaries series, media tie-ins for Star Wars, Stargate: Atlantis, and Magic: the Gathering, as well as short fiction, YA novels, and non-fiction. She has won a Nebula Award, two Hug ...more

The Books of the Raksura (5 books)
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura, #2)
  • The Edge of Worlds (The Books of the Raksura, #4)
  • The Harbors of the Sun (The Books of the Raksura, #5)