What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fantasy/Possible YA - Man has ability to read books and bring certain details/characters to life in the real world as well as read people into books [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Austin (new)

Austin | 2 comments Hello there. I come to you today to ask for help in remembering a book(s)/book series I have forgotten the name(s) of.

I believe the books were part of a trilogy.

The genre is fantasy.

I read these books when I was in middle school, which was the years 2009 -2012. The books were old at the time, possibly 5-10+ years old. No more than 20 though, if I had to guess. Don't let this limit you though in determining the book.

All the books are centered around the characters interaction with one book. The first book starts out with I believe a father and his daughter being kidnapped. They're being held at some base where the group that took them is located. The father has the power of reading a book, in this case a specific book, and being able to read details and character to life out of the book, as well as reading people into the book. In the first book, I believe he is forced to read either a joker or a prince out of the book, which is of the medieval genre.

In the next book, I believe it is introduced that there are other people that have the ability to read people in and out of books, but some do it at different skill levels with different results. I also think that the people with this skill have to rewrite parts of the book for the "magic", so to speak to work.

I can't quite remember the premise of the third book, but I know a few details:

- The author of the book has been transported into his own book, and is now living among his own created world.
- The man from the first book I believe is being held hostage by a king, and forces him to write a book giving the king eternal life. The book begins to deteriorate, and because it is tied to the king, so does his health.
- The daughter finds someone to read her into the world to save her father. I'm a bit iffy on this one.
- The daughter and the author of the world team up with a queen who lives in a large glass palace in the middle of a lake.

One thing about the books I'm trying to remember is that I read them all in hard copies, and each hard copy had a very intricate map on the inside of the cover of the book, that showed the medieval world, and I believe expanded every new book in the trilogy.

I'm really only looking for the name of the first book, because I'll be able to find the name of the trilogy from there. Any help is appreciated, and of course if you need more information to work off of, just ask and I'll do my best to provide.

message 2: by Serena (new)

Serena | 103 comments I think this is Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke ?

message 3: by Austin (new)

Austin | 2 comments Serena wrote: "I think this is Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke ?"
Wow, that was quick. And you're right.

It's all coming back now, as soon as you linked. I searched forever on google with all sorts of word combinations trying to find the books. Thank you so much.

message 4: by Serena (new)

Serena | 103 comments You're very welcome, I was fairly sure as I've read Inkheart and want to read it's sequels. :)

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lissyhead) | 30 comments I loved these books. I'm definitely love with dustfinger

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Inkheart (other topics)