Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Jacks June reads

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin the passage by justin cronin
4/5
Enjoyed the story but gee it was a long one with a lot to take in. Really found it hard the switch in the 3 sections at the start. The story came together nicely but took a lot of perseverence. Fascinating and suspenseful reading throughout.

The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin The twelve by justin cronin
3/5
Good followup but didnt like it as much as the passage. Took a direction i didnt expect. Expected a bit more suspense and excitement with a lot of focus and continuation from previous book. It ended up getting there and tying together but took longer than i wouldve liked. I also felt it was more like building up to the final book rather than being a good story in its own right.

Mr Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1) by Stephen King mr mecedes by stephen king
4.5/5
Really liked this book. The depth of story telling and getting into the heads of the characters was amazing. Especially the villian was quite chilling to read and get insight into such personalities.
Really Liked the jerome and bill dynamic and its brilliant comedy relief aspects aswell.

Now into finders keepers and waiting for city of mirrors and end of watch to get around to me from library. Could be a while, but hope not too long. Am so keen to see how these series finish off especially after everyones comments on them this month.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Wow, great month! You had some substantial reading going on this month!!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14981 comments Jack: Your month is impressive! I really liked both The Passage and The Twelve; agree that both seemed overlong / detailed at times (but worth it in the end) I don't know that I would have been able to finish both so near in time. Now Mr Mercedes, I was ready for the next book immediately and also love the dynamic between Bill and Jerome! Good reading and more ahead!

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments So many middle books in trilogies seem to do little more than tie the first book to the last.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14981 comments And third books often split into two movies.
Barry wrote: "So many middle books in trilogies seem to do little more than tie the first book to the last."

message 6: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments Really was intense but enjoyable, i do like the dystopian future novels and contemplating the way a changed world goes on. Especially the way people survive and go back to a more primative existence . I liked the colony under lights and the idea of the sanctuary and the reliance of old world technology to survive.
I also really liked Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel by emily st john mandel and the way it showed the full range of human experiences and emotions of facing the changed world. It gives a scary perspective of how reliant we are on power and technology to survive.
I think my wife felt a bit neglected this month. she really hates anything scifi or paranormal so couldnt get any interaction about the books from her.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14981 comments Jack: I really liked Station Eleven as well and enjoy dystopian future novels for similar reasons. Our technology is something to celebrate and our reliance on it is something to be nervous about how we could manage if it was gone.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8263 comments Jack, I congratulate you for reading The Passage and The Twelve in one month, in preparation for City of Mirrors. Hope it gets to you soon. You will have the advantage not many of us did, of having the story in your recent memory.