The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

2016 reading challenge > July's Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) July's challenge is to read the first book in a series by a person of color. This opens up to field to any genre, and will hopefully introduce many of us to a new great series.

If you have any suggestions, please toss them out! I found this Person of Color book list, but you'll have to look through the genre lists to find a series that looks good to you.

A few authors that may be of interest: Nalo Hopkinson, Marie Lu, Daniel José Older, N.K. Jemisin, Octavia E. Butler, Sabaa Tahir, Ken Liu... and who else?

What series are you going to pick up, and what series would you suggest to fellow Suevians?

message 2: by Chessa (new)

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments Binti by Nnedi Okorafor is amazing! It's a novella, but it's shocking how full a story it is for its short page count. I highly recommend it!

message 3: by Neith (new)

Neith (neithl) | 2 comments I've been meaning to try something by N.K. Jemisin, so this is good motivation! I just requested her The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms from my library.

I've read everything by Octavia Butler that I've managed to get my hands on. I admire her work very much.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Neith wrote: "I've been meaning to try something by N.K. Jemisin, so this is good motivation! I just requested her The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms from my library..."

That's the book I have set on my kindle to read for this challenge too :) I hope to get to it soon. We read The Fifth Season a few months ago; you can find the discussion here if you're interested in reading some Suevian thoughts on that one.

message 5: by Neith (new)

Neith (neithl) | 2 comments Finally getting around to a follow-up comment on this reading challenge.

I did end up reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by Nnedi Okorafor. I felt a little disappointed that I didn't feel like I emotionally connected with any of the characters except Sieh. But I did enjoy and appreciate how many aspects of the world-building and plot seemed like something I had not read before in a fantasy novel.