The Little Paris Bookshop The Little Paris Bookshop discussion

Has anyone read this?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brennan I am having a difficult time getting into this book. Is it worth trying?

Janet I really enjoyed it. I'd say to keep at it.

John I too read it and I also really enjoyed it. you will cry.

Tina It took me a few pages to get interested, but once I got hooked, I couldn't put it down. This book still is on my mind.

Carrie Allen I agree with the others...it was a little hard to get going, but once I was in, I really did end up enjoying it.

Michelle Really great book. Characters stay with you long after you finish the book.

Ladyslott It was okay, nothing special.

Ashley Not bad and there were chapters that I had to drag myself through, but by the end I appreciated the book as a whole. I loved the idea of books as therapy/medication.

Laurice Anne I loved it. Stays with you for a while.

message 10: by Gail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gail I preferred the beginning. I had to drag through the final chapters, because I thought they were unrealistic.

message 11: by Dr. T.M. (last edited Oct 21, 2016 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dr. T.M. Smith Depends on what you're looking for. I wanted more of the literary medicine, not so much of a long, drawn-out "romance" with a woman who was dead for 20 years. I gave it 3 stars because I felt the first half was better written and is what drew me in, but the second half was an investment on my part just to get through it and see if Jean came out the other side of his grief.

Maggie Gust I could have done without the attempt at romance. I didn't find it all that romantic. But I loved the first half of the book and I loved all the references to books as well as the description of the long sumptuous meals where people took their time to eat and talk. I thought the ending was quite of hokey but I gave the book 3.5 stars because the good points outweighed the weaknesses, I felt.

message 13: by Mike (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike Kushwah personally, I thought it was a bit cheesy.

Dzintra aka Ingrid Yes have just finished it and loved it!

message 15: by Rae (new) - rated it 1 star

Rae I have only read 13 pages, I think the worst is over for me. It was very difficult to start but once I figured it out, it is great so far. I hope it stays that way

message 16: by M.E. (new) - rated it 2 stars

M.E. Laubert I'm sorry....but I found this book tedious! I finished it because I was hoping there might be something worth while. Get over it, Jean! I typically try to finish each book I start reading but this took forever! Not a favorite, fersure!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Lundy Not a favorite for me either

message 18: by Adam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Adam Slightly tedious for me also.
Like the book barge, the story travelled forward at a slow pace for the duration and it never really excited me.

Kirsten McKenzie Like many other people here, I was a half and half reader. Half of it was wonderful - the dispensing of books as medicine is a very valid form I therapy I think! That part I loved.

message 20: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia I loved the part about the books and what they can do to people; loved the idea of a floating bookshop, and using books as "currency" , etc; not a fan of the romance portion, though. But overall, still a keeper

Kirsten McKenzie Mia wrote: "I loved the part about the books and what they can do to people; loved the idea of a floating bookshop, and using books as "currency" , etc; not a fan of the romance portion, though. But overall, s..."

Yes, definitely still a book I'd keep on my bookshelf too x

message 22: by Randi (new) - added it

Randi Kesling The "dots" were given in the first part of the book, and then you were gifted the lines that connected the people, their pasts and presents the last 1/2 of it. I enjoyed this book and could imagine the barge managing the many locks and docks on the Seine. It was a fun book.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Yes, and it was not worth the time. It has all the right ingredients: a Paris setting, a bookseller who runs his shop out of a barge on the Seine called The Literary Apothecary, love lost and love found, but as the Washington Post reviewer said, “As with many fancy-looking cakes, under the meringue and the frosting this novel tastes like artificially flavored cardboard.” A much better read with some similar ideas is A Man Called Ove.

message 24: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue I think the book was written without any attention to detail. There was young Max, who could not swim at the beginning of the book, but later on he dives in to save a lady, who intentionally 'fells' in. And then there was this strange death notice hidden in Jean Perdu favourite book. But Jean Perdu apparently does not know Manon died. And he is upset about her leaving him behind for TWENTY years. Hello?

message 25: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Bannan I only finished it because my book club was reading it. When we discussed it there, all the members felt the same.

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary Lundy That would stink to have this book for your book club and no one like it. Does that happen a lot?

message 27: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Bannan Actually, it's happened a few times and we have just as much fun disliking a a book as we do when we like one.

Kelly Martin I read this one for book club. I was a little disappointed with this book. It should have been titled The Letter and it would have made more sense. Otherwise it was a passable read, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Kelly Martin I read this one for book club. I was a little disappointed with this book. It should have been titled The Letter and it would have made more sense. Otherwise it was a passable read, but I wouldn't recommend it.

message 30: by Joann (new) - rated it 1 star

Joann Garrido I gave up halfway through. Just couldn't...

Denise Hale Yes, slower than I normally read a book as iI found it quite an intense read. I can understand people not liking it. It's rather like a French meal where you're expected to relax and enjoy a delicious meal and the service staff do not rush you through the courses, but ensure you truly have enjoyed each course and allow you time to digest.
I hope you enjoy the experience.

Janet Denise, a very good description of the book. worth the read.