Start by marking “The Little Paris Bookshop” as Want to Read:
The Little Paris Bookshop

The Little Paris Bookshop

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  56,027 Ratings  ·  8,788 Reviews
“There are books that are suitable for a million people, others for only a hundred. There are even remedies—I mean books—that were written for one person only…A book is both medic and medicine at once. It makes a diagnosis as well as offering therapy. Putting the right novels to the appropriate ailments: that’s how I sell books.”

Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apot
Published June 23rd 2015 by Crown (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Paris Bookshop, please sign up.
Toni Yes! As a 14/15 year old girl who loved to read, I would have enjoyed this—if I were encouraged to gallop through the first few chapters to the point…moreYes! As a 14/15 year old girl who loved to read, I would have enjoyed this—if I were encouraged to gallop through the first few chapters to the point where Perdu and Max make a break for it. As for those who worry about sex and F-bombs, they don't know much about today's adolescents and must not remember their own adolescence.(less)
Brenda Aside from the deeper message of loss and regret, I loved it for the loving journey it took through many memorable French towns, as well as the…moreAside from the deeper message of loss and regret, I loved it for the loving journey it took through many memorable French towns, as well as the numerous books referenced within the story. If you love to travel and have been so fortunate to have experienced France, you'll enjoy it. And if you're a book lover, you'll enjoy mentally check listing the books it references even more. (less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
”Books keep stupidity at bay. And vain hopes. And vain men. They undress you with love, strength and knowledge. It’s love from within.”

People read for lots of different reasons. They want to be entertained. They want a book to explain what is wrong with them or a confirmation of what they think is wrong with their spouse. They read for information. They read for an experience outside themselves. They read to escape the drudgery of their lives.

Sometimes I don’t understand why people read at all
Diane
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Megan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Absolutely perfect premise and storyline - I was hooked by that blurb. Unfortunately this book was not at all what I was expecting. I was hoping for a Parisian Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore but with a twist - an eccentric old gentleman selling books as medicine to those who are missing a certain something in their lives. As someone who's found solace and company in books ever since I was an awkward little girl, this appealed to me. Unfortunately, that's not what I got, and that book blurb ab ...more
Elyse
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
"There are books that are suitable for a million people, others for only hundred.
There even remedies --I mean books --that were written for only one person...A book
is both medic and medicine at once. It makes a diagnosis as well as offering therapy".

Nina George's lyrical tribute to love, literature, people, living, dying, and all things French...
was a privilege to read.
I hope I'm not the the only 1 person this book was written for -- but just in case:
"THANK YOU, *Nina George*.

My first memo
Rebecca
Sadly I didn't love this one like I was expecting. I loved the bookishness - from the Literary Apothecary to Perdu's ability - and the setting, plus there were some great quotes. However I struggled with the story and I lacked a connection to the characters. In theory, this book is perfect for me but I just feel like it was missing something - maybe just for me personally.
Gail
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have just finished this book and am astonished at the 5 star reviews; it seems I was reading a different book from the majority of reviewers.

I had such high hopes for this. I had just finished reading a very dark and disturbing thriller and needed a lovely book to make me feel warm and fuzzy; this seemed the perfect antidote, so I settled down with my faithful kindle and began reading.

The premise of the story was just utter magic to me - a bookseller hands out books like medicine to people w
Chris
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

There is an independent bookstore in Philadelphia called Joseph Fox. It is smallish – one floor, a big first room, a passage, a back room, and a smaller backer room where the children’s books are kept. Every conceivable space is packed with books. Does it have the selection of the big chain store or of Amazon? No. And it doesn’t offer discounts either, though it does give away bookmarks.

But here’s the thing. You can walk into that bookstore and find four books tha
Maria Espadinha
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livros - O Nosso Agora E Sempre

"As memórias são como os lobos. Não as podes trancar num quarto e esperar que te ignorem."

Mas...há os livros:

Os livros protegem-nos ...
Da tristeza.
Da ignorância.
Da falsidade.
Plantam risos e lágrimas emprestadas.
Elevam a auto-estima.
Revestem-nos de amor, força e sabedoria.
Descobrimos quem somos.
Quem queremos ser.
Aprendemos.
Mudamos.
Evoluímos.
Amamos, odiamos, sofremos, rejubilamos.
São vida por dentro.
São abrigos, magos, mestres e companheiros!...

A escolha é nossa:
L
Barbara Hale
Jul 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club-2, audible
The reviews are so misleading. What a disappointment! Only one person in our book club liked it. The rest of us just plowed through, hoping it would be over. It was certainly not my cup of tea. The story could have been told in 50 pages, and the rest of the story was just meandering emotion.
Mona
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Bittersweet Gallic Romance

This is a very French book. Kind of mournful, but also hopeful. Very, very emotional.

This is ironic, as the author, Nina George, is actually German, although she now lives in France (which doesn't surprise me, as her soul is French).

And yes, it's yet another homage to the vanishing independent bookseller, but it's much more than that. It's a reflection on love and death and other deep subjects. It's also a love letter to France.

Parisian Jean Perdu ("John Lost" in Englis
Algernon
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

One word review : Overkill!

There's a excellent little romantic gem of a story hidden somewhere in the text of Nina George's bestseller. After all, the sales tell their own story and are proof that most of the readers were able to see past the wooden dialogue and the saccharine sentimentality into the true heart of the story, about coping with loss of innocence, aging, death, starting your life over. There's also a lot to be said about the power of books to inspire and renew a reader's interest i
Marianne
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“To carry them within us – that is our task. We carry them all inside us, all our dead and shattered loves. Only they make us whole. If we begin to forget or cast aside those who we’ve lost, then … then we are no longer present either”

The Little Paris Bookshop is the seventh book by German journalist, teacher and author, Nina George (written under that name). Jean Perdu is fifty years old. He lives in an apartment building with an interesting (and often eccentric) collection of other tenants, a
Margitte
The book started out with possibilities:

There was monsieur Perdu: - ' the king of this world, a literary pharmacist, who writes prescriptions for the lovesick;
"…My name is Jean. Jean Albert Victor Perdu. Albert after my paternal grandfather, Victor after my maternal grandfather. My mother is a professor, and her father, Victor Bernier, was a toxicologist, a socialist and mayor. I’m fifty years old, Catherine, and I haven’t known many women, let alone slept with them. I loved one. She left me.’
P
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5- stars, really.

okay, first up: hello, my name is jennifer and i got a bit suckered into reading a romance novel. :/

(publisher lists this as 'fiction, romance, contemporary' - NetGalley listing reads 'literature/fiction' and did not have the 'contemporary romance' identifier.) i am not against romance, per se, but in reading, i am against the overly-sentimental and schmaltzy, and overuse of clichés. so this book fell apart for me on all three counts. which is really, really unfortunate. this
Anne Goldschrift
3 Jahre stand dieses Buch ungelesen in meinem Regal und jetzt frage ich mich: Wie konnte das passieren? Es gibt nur ganz wenige Bücher in meinem Leben, die mich so berührt haben, die so voller Wahrheit, voll schöner Worte sind und die mich so zum Weinen gebracht haben.
Dana
Jul 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm giving up in this one. Life's too short to read books that bore me....
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I am completely in love with this book. I had no idea what a gem I had in my hands. I picked this out of the books I was offered because I thought it sounded interesting, never would I have thought I would sink into the world of this book and not want to leave.

When I first met the main character Monsieur Perdu (Jean Perdu) he reminded me of Hercule Poirot in his mannerisms, but that soon went by the wayside. Jean Perdu is a very unique man. A man with his own
Cathrine ☯️
Aug 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I just cannot get into this. Is it the structure, the translation, me, what? Based on other poor ratings and general boredom I am giving up. Other books are waiting.
Suzanne
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You fall in love with this book first because it's about the power of books. Who can resist the idea of a book barge on the Seine in Paris where the bookseller, Jean Perdu, uses his intuition to select just the right book to deal with whichever emotion - small or large - is afflicting you? Monsieur Perdu explains it as "I wanted to treat feelings that are not recognized as afflictions and are never diagnosed by doctors. All those little feelings and emotions no therapist is interested in, becaus ...more
Jacob Overmark
What did I think?

At first I thought "Whats not to like?". A book about books and Southern France, perfect for a rainy summer day and I immediately fell for Jean Perdu.

The name game wasnt lost on me, a man in a mature age, lost in himself, in his past and his happy and unhappy memories. He could have been "The Steppenwolf" or even the narrator in "À la recherche du temps perdu", but hes neither.

He is a man with a mission, he is a literary apothecary, caring for all the lost souls but his own wi
Heather
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my gosh! This book is so beautifully and poetically written! I just think everyone should read it! I want to meet someone like Jean Perdu.
Connie
I love books about bookstores so I was excited to start "The Little Paris Bookshop". Monsieur Jean Perdu's literary apothecary is located on a barge moored on the Seine. Perdu senses people's needs and problems, and prescribes books that are perfect for each customer. Unfortunately, he has been unable to deal with his own heartache since the love of his life left him 21 years ago. His lover had left him a letter when she departed from Paris, but he waited 21 years to finally open it and feels sh ...more
*eKa*
3,5 Stars

Once again, a book that took me long enough to finish. Why am I such a slow reader? T_T
Can I blame it on my activities again? Too many distractions? Because it's true.

I chose this book right away because I think it's something like Chocolat (knew it from the movie, not the book), and it's a book about books! Amazing, right?! I knew there would be so many books told here. And I was right.

But! I didn't really like how it was told, the plot, I mean. It's a bit confusing to me. It seemed
Barbara
I was going to rate this 3 stars but I realized that I skimmed the last third of the book because I just wanted to be done with it. The tone of the book kept changing. Was it a romance with the idea of selling books as much a part of the romance as those between characters? But then our bookseller Perdu takes off on his bookselling boat on a river road trip. He picks up this wierd young writer who wears earmuffs all the time and it becomes a farce. They have no money and no food and have to pay ...more
Erin
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Historic fiction is my preferred stomping ground, but I’ve a reputation for venturing into multiple genres. I think journeying outside my comfort zone challenges me and helps me retain perspective as a reviewer which is how I found myself staring down a copy of Nina George’s contemporary romance, The Little Paris Bookshop.

Looking back, I can honestly say the story made almost no impression on me. I didn’t connect with any of the characters and I couldn’t rouse much enthusiasm for their personal
Rachelle
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was not what I hoped it would be. I really loved the idea of the floating book apothecary, and think so much more could have been done with that idea. In the end, though, this book was rather a disappointment. First, I didn't really love any of the characters, especially Manon, the woman Jean is so tortured with love for all these years. Why? She was selfish and didn't have any clue what commitment meant. Jean just came across as a fool who somewhere along the way mistook lust for love ...more
Anna
Γλυκήτατο βιβλίο που περιγράφει την εξέλιξη των σχέσεων και το πώς αυτές διαχειρίζονται με την παρέα καλών φίλων και καλών βιβλίων!

Στα μπόνους οι συνταγές γαλλικής μαγειρικής που υπάρχουν στο τέλος καθώς και μια λίστα με προτεινόμενα βιβλία

Αξιοσημείωτες ατάκες:

Τα βιβλία κρατούν τη βλακεία μακριά. Σας σώζουν από ψεύτικες ελπίδες και λάθος άντρες. Σας περιβάλλουν με αγάπη, δύναμη και γνώση. Είναι έρωτας εκ των έσω. Διαλέξτε: βιβλία ή ...

Οι γυναίκες σ' αγαπούν για το χαρακτήρα σου, για τη δύναμή
Suzy
This story of a Parisian bookseller who sets out on his bookstore on a barge to find the lover who abandoned him 20 years ago started out on a promising note but very quickly devolved. So many times I was rolling my eyes and groaning . . . and not in a good way. :) I felt the author was trying way too hard to be poignant and profound - maybe wanting to be the next Elizabeth Gilbert?

So why did I read to the end of this almost 400 page book and rate it 3 stars instead of 1 or 2? There were several
Rita
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, n-alemanha
Ainda bem que em vez de ler a sinopse deste livro, li o título original. O livreiro de Paris, The little Paris bookshop são apenas títulos comerciais e que não representam a história real.

M a r a v i l h o s o

É uma viagem sobre a vida, o amor, a amizade, o perdão, a perda e a morte. É uma história de como os mal-entendidos podem levar a grandes erros e perdas ainda maiores. Ao percorrer a esfera íntima das personagens, as suas experiências, medos e questões Nina George obriga-nos a uma introspe
Carolyn

"A book is both medic and medicine at once. It makes a diagnosis as well as offering therpay. Putting the right novels to the appropriate ailments:that's how I sell books"

Fifty year old John Perdu considers himself a dispenser of literary medicine for ailments of the human soul rather than a mere bookseller. From his barge, the Literary Apothecary, moored on the Seine in Paris he dispenses books to cure people of their ailments, whether it be sadness, disappointment, anxiety or a lost love.

"When
Around the Year i...: The Little Paris Bookshop, by Nina George 4 48 Jan 13, 2018 01:08PM
Play Book Tag: The Little Paris Bookshop - Nina George - 4 stars 4 21 Oct 12, 2017 06:08PM
Thoughts on crying 9 98 Sep 03, 2017 02:36PM
Has anyone read this? 34 200 Aug 19, 2017 12:51PM
Checking in 2 13 Aug 07, 2017 04:28PM
Forgotten Reads: June: The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George 2 13 Jul 23, 2017 10:28AM
  • The Red Notebook
  • The Light of Paris
  • The Last Bookaneer
  • A Novel Bookstore
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
  • The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
  • The Reader on the 6.27
  • Murder in Pigalle (Aimee Leduc Investigations #14)
  • The Paris Winter
  • First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen
  • Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • Time Was Soft There: A Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare & Co.
  • The Summer Before the War
  • My Bookstore: Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Places to Browse, Read, and Shop
  • It's Not Love, It's Just Paris
  • The Madwoman Upstairs
  • Britt-Marie Was Here
ENG (for German Bio please scroll down).

Born 1973 in Bielefeld, Germany, Nina George is a prize-winning and bestselling author (“Das Lavendelzimmer” – “The Little Paris Bookshop”) and freelance journalist since 1992, who has published 26 books (novels, mysteries and non-fiction) as well as over hundred short stories and more than 600 columns. George has worked as a cop reporter, columnist and mana
More about Nina George

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
“Books are more than doctors, of course. Some novels are loving, lifelong companions; some give you a clip around the ear; others are friends who wrap you in warm towels when you've got those autumn blues. And some...well, some are pink candy floss that tingles in your brain for three seconds and leaves a blissful voice. Like a short, torrid love affair.” 158 likes
“We cannot decide to love. We cannot compel anyone to love us. There's no secret recipe, only love itself. And we are at its mercy--there's nothing we can do.” 87 likes