Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > August 2016 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4084 comments Mod
Nominations are open for August 2016.

Nominations are now open for the August Group Reads and will close on 13th July 2016 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 15th to 23rd July 2016 inclusive.

You may nominate 2 books, 1 in each category (1.Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4($6.02) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion moderator.

2) No self-nominations by authors.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by David (new)

I guess I'll start us off then and I'll nominate for Value Read;

Someone to Save You by Paul Pilkington

Someone To Save You by Paul Pilkington

This is currently 99 pence on Amazon UK

The blurb.....
"Fifteen years ago, Sam Becker’s sister was killed, a tragedy that haunts him to this day—particularly as his best friend, Marcus, was jailed for her murder.

Driving home from the bittersweet celebration of what would have been her thirtieth birthday, Sam is confronted with a terrifying scene, and has just moments to try to save four lives. In the aftermath of this chilling drama, he is hailed as a hero by the press—but to the investigating police, things do not add up. Sam finds himself drawn into a conspiracy of lies and organised crime that puts his own life in danger.

And to make matters worse, Marcus is out of prison, hoping for reconciliation and determined to clear his name. Sam is forced to confront his own dark past, but as the layers of deceit are peeled back, can he really trust anyone around him?"

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 586 comments Mod
David wrote: "I guess I'll start us off then and I'll nominate for Value Read;

Someone to Save You by Paul Pilkington

Someone To Save You by Paul Pilkington

This is currently 99 pence on Amazon UK

The blur..."

This one sounds kind of breathless & I'd like us to have a choice of something quieter & more cerebral for another el cheepo nominee - anyone have someideas?

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments I would recommend Lennox (Lennox, #1) by Craig Russell but only available on kindle in the UK. Weird.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Have we already read Alison Bruce's Cambridge Blue?

message 6: by David (new)

Bill wrote: "Have we already read Alison Bruce's Cambridge Blue?"

I don't think so.

message 7: by Bill (new)

All right. i nominate Cambridge Blue for value read.

message 8: by David (new)

Bill wrote: "All right. i nominate Cambridge Blue for value read."

It'll have to go as main group read Bill as it is £4.99 on Kindle in UK

message 9: by Bill (new)

That is odd; only $2.99 over here. i'll try to find something else.

message 10: by David (new)

We need some more nominations especially main group read so I will nominate Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner.
Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner

Blurb....

"Mid-December, and Cambridgeshire is blanketed with snow. Detective Sergeant Manon Bradshaw tries to sleep after yet another soul-destroying Internet date – the low murmuring of her police radio her only solace.

Over the airwaves come reports of a missing woman – door ajar, keys and phone left behind, a spatter of blood on the kitchen floor. Manon knows the first 72 hours are critical: you find her, or you look for a body. And as soon as she sees a picture of Edith Hind, a Cambridge post-graduate from a well-connected family, she knows this case will be big.

Is Edith alive or dead? Was her ‘complex love life’ at the heart of her disappearance, as a senior officer tells the increasingly hungry press? And when a body is found, is it the end or only the beginning?"

message 11: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Johnson | 93 comments David,

This isn't available as an E book Amazon U.S. There are some
used paperbacks and a hardcover available but $$.
Too bad, because it sounds interesting.

message 12: by David (new)

Juliann wrote: "David,

This isn't available as an E book Amazon U.S. There are some
used paperbacks and a hardcover available but $$.
Too bad, because it sounds interesting."

Thanks for that Juliann.
My nomination will have to be removed from this month then and I'll get another up today before deadline.

message 13: by David (new)

Right my new nomination for the main group read is

Slow Horses by Mick Herron

Slow Horses (Slough House, #1) by Mick Herron

Blurb...
"Slough House is a dumping ground for members of the intelligence service who've screwed up: left a service file on a train, say, blown a surveillance, or become drunkenly unreliable. They're the service's poor relations - the slow horses - and most bitter among them is River Cartwright, whose days are spent transcribing mobile phone conversations.

But when a young man is abducted, and his kidnappers threaten to behead him live on the internet, River sees an opportunity to redeem himself. But is the victim who he first appears to be? And what's the kidnappers' connection with a disgraced journalist? As the clock ticks on the execution, River finds that everyone involved has their own agenda . . ."

message 14: by David (new)

Sandy wrote: "I would recommend Lennox (Lennox, #1) by Craig Russell but only available on kindle in the UK. Weird."

Nothing wrong with nomination Sandy and it is available in all formats in the UK through Amazon certainly.
Here is the link to the page for kindle edition and it shows hardcover, paperback etc. available
http://amzn.to/29wfRAd

Blurb for this book is...
"Glasgow, 1953: the war may be over but the battle for the streets is just beginning. Three crime bosses control the murky streets, but a small-scale con is trying to invade their territory. The balance is shifting. Lennox, a hard man in a hard city at a hard time, finds himself caught in the middle - a dangerous place to be.

One night, a body is discovered on the road, his head mashed to pulp, and Lennox is in the frame for murder. The only way of proving his innocence is to solve the crime - but he'll have to dodge men more deadly than Glasgow's crime bosses before he gets any answers.

The first in a unique and memorable crime series, Lennox is gritty, fast-paced, mordantly funny and totally compelling."

message 15: by Bill (new)

David wrote: "Right my new nomination for the main group read is

Slow Horses by Mick Herron

Slow Horses (Slough House, #1) by Mick Herron

Blurb...
"Slough House is a dumping ground for members of the intelligence service w..."

This one sounds intriguing.

message 16: by David (new)

I thought that Bill when I came across it.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments Love the Mick Herron series. Always a twisty spy vs. spy plot with plenty of dark humour.

message 18: by David (new)

Right then we have 3 books for the main read and the vote will start tomorrow. The books are:-

1) Lennox by Craig Russell
2) Cambridge Blue by Alison Bruce
3) Slow Horses by Mick Herron

Only one nomination for Value Read so our value read for August will be Someone To Save You by Paul Pilkington

message 19: by David (new)

The Vote is open so please do vote for which of the three books you would like as our main group read for August.
Vote in poll section at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/4...

message 20: by David (new)

Get those votes in please for the main group read.

message 21: by David (new)

It's all even in the voting with a couple of days left so we could do with some more votes.
If you haven't voted please do.

message 22: by David (new)

Ok voting is over and Cambridge Blue gets the vote.

message 23: by Bill (new)

Shall I be moderator for Cambridge Blue? Happy to do it.

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments Enlighten me .... What happens on the group read????

message 25: by Bill (new)

Basically, we have threads where we can post queries & comments, one set aside for possible spoilers that might give away the ending. At the end pf the month, the moderator often posts a review & others sometimes do too.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments Thanks, Bill

message 27: by David (new)

yes please Bill. I had already put you as Moderator.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments I have ordered a copy of Cambridge Blue via Amazon.ca so look forward to participating.

message 29: by David (new)

Beth wrote: "I have ordered a copy of Cambridge Blue via Amazon.ca so look forward to participating."

Just out of interest Beth How much was it in Canada.
It is £4.99 in the UK on kindle which is 8.64 Canadian dollars.

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments David: the Kindle edition is $2.99 (which for you would be £1.73) and new in paperback it is $17.86 (£10.33) incl. shipping. I am living dangerously and I ordered a "like new" used copy for $10. (£5.78).

message 31: by David (new)

Kindle edition is good value in Canada.
I looked on e-bay and found loads of copies so got it from a charity book shop on ebay for £2.03 in the end. Will be here around 3rd August.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments I noticed that although it is listed on audible.com, it is not available for purchase/download in Canada. I think the paper copies are coming in from the UK...not printed here.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments Just received mine from the library.

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments Wow, Susan! Your library must be faster at bringing in newer books than ours is!!!

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments And now having said thwt, I see that there are two copies available as e-books in the Ontario library consortium.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I was shocked that they had it. Very hit and miss on what they have. We are a tri county library system so hopefully one of them will have it.

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments Well it was a good choice in that is appears to be a book that is actually available in library systems!