Start by marking “Slow Horses (Slough House, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slow Horses (Slough House, #1)

Slow Horses

(Slough House #1)

Slough House is a dumping ground for British intelligence agents who’ve screwed up a case in any number of ways—by leaving a secret file on a train or blowing a surveillance. River Cartwright, one such “slow horse,” is bitter about his failure and about his tedious assignment transcribing cell phone conversations.

When a young man is abducted and his kidnappers threaten to
Published June 1st 2010 by Soho Crime (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Horses, please sign up.
Bill Lynas
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Veronica ⭐️
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, crime
Slow Horses is Herron’s first book in the Slough House series, recently re-released in conjunction with the release of book 4, Spook Street.

After a mission gone terribly wrong River Cartwright is sent to Slough House, a place where tasks that didn’t matter were preformed by people that didn’t care. Where alongside a pre-digital overflow of paperwork, a post-useful crew of misfits can be stored and left to gather dust.

The story is told with a wry wit, in metaphors, retrospect and hypotheticals w
PattyMacDotComma
“Always, in railway stations, there was this sense of pent-up movement. A crowd was an explosion waiting to happen. People were fragments. They just didn’t know it yet.”

This is not only spooks and spies and intrigue (and it definitely is all that), it is very funny and entertaining! It’s also a wonderful combination of old school sleuthing and networking and never burning bridges (well, not completely) and brave-new-world technology like CCTV mobile (cell) phones and database hacking. All wrap
Phrynne
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
Well I have to give this book five stars because I read it in one day when I should have been doing other things, and now I really want to move straight into book 2

Not just another mystery/thriller, Slow Horses is totally original in style and content. The main characters are apparently a bunch of losers and misfits which made it all the more exciting when they tried to pull together and achieve something. And of course from the reader's perspective it was anyone's guess if and when they were ev
Marita
”Congratufuckinglations.” River Cartwright has made it to Slough House. Slough House for slow horses. Slow horses who messed up big time like leaving discs of information marked “Top Secret” on the train only to be handed in to the BBC and broadcast to the nation. Not a smart move if you are working for MI5! But this wasn’t River’s mess. No, the opening sentence of this novel is: ”This is how River Cartwright slipped off the fast track and joined the slow horses.” And then proceeds to tell you, ...more
Susan
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Slough House series. I have meant to try this series for a long while and, now that I have finally got around to starting it, I am sure I will be reading on. Author Mick Herron has taken the traditional spy story, given it a unique slant and, with many nods to classic spy novels, has created his own world; sly, darkly funny and utterly British.

Slough House is the dumping ground for members of the intelligence service who have messed up. Rather than sack them, those
Carolyn
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I finally got around to reading the opening novel of this series. Friends kept telling me how good it was and boy were they right!

I loved the writing - wry and sharp, often darkly humorous and deprecating of the failed spies from MI5 who end up at the bottom of the heap, the so-called 'slow horses' working at London's Slough House. They've all done something irrecoverable and cringe-worthy, from leaving classified information on a train to spectacularly failing a terrorist training
Brenda
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty clever book. Slough House is an old derelict building. Its occupants are slow horses, spies who have screwed up in various ways and been demoted. They are essentially paper pushers doing mundane work. They are a motley crew who are not friends, very suspicious, always alert and aware, and bitter. When one of them is sent on a field op, albeit just to pick up a bag of trash outside a disgraced journalist's home, mental alarms begin going off. They are never let out in the field. ...more
Brenda
3.5s

After River Cartwright made several wrong decisions - or someone laid the blame squarely on his shoulders - he was told to report at Slough House, the place all misfits, rogues, and unreliables were sent to lick their wounds while working at mundane tasks. The boredom was horrific; the anger at what had happened ate at River, day in and day out...

Jackson Lamb, boss of the slow horses (those same has-been spies from MI5) didn't seem to garner respect from any of the people under his command
Manda Scott
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So.... I listened to BBC Radio 4 Front Row last night, and there was Mick Herron, talking about his Slow Horses series and he mentioned Len Deighton who was one of my writing heroes in my youth... and the wonder of e-living is that I was able to download it on the Kindle and ... lose an evening. I know something of this standard is a year's hard writing and there's something sacrilegious about reading it in slightly under 6 hours, but Mick, if you're reading this and it's any consolation, I swit ...more
Gary
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the 1st book in the 'Slough House' series by author Mick Herron. Slough House is a dumping ground for British intelligence agents who have messed up a case. The "slow horses," are given menial tasks rather than be trusted on bigger cases. This is the second book I have read from this series having inadvertently started reading this series with the second book. I hesitated starting this book having not been completely blown away by the first book., but found this one personally a lot more ...more
Sharon Bolton
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
River Cartwright made a big mistake. As big as they come. Heading up an MI5 operation to apprehend a known terrorist, River made the wrong call. Or maybe he was fed the wrong information. That’s what he claims, but it makes no difference. The Op goes badly wrong, and River’s career hits the pan.

Fortunately for River he has connections. His grandfather is one of the most famous and revered ‘spooks’ of all time, and sacking his much-loved grandson isn’t really on the cards. So River, rather than
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I was thrilled when I had my wish granted by the Publisher via NetGalley to read this book. I was expecting some great thrills. Sadly I got to 40% through and just felt like I was going nowhere with this one. The first chapter and opening had seemed really promising but this one just did not float my boat.

With quite an unusual writing style this book may be one of those that some indeed love and adore. It's certainly not a terrible book. I just could not get into it and wondered where it was go
Bill Kupersmith
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
There are now seven books in this series and they get good reviews in publications that usually look with disdain on crime fiction. So I was glad to have Slow Horses, the first of the series, as our monthly read for the Kindle English Mystery Group. And for about the first two hundred pages, I was quite taken. Then the story disintegrated into a succession of started hares haring off in all directions in pursuit of a hare-brained scheme involving a young Asian wannabe stand-up comedian whose unc ...more
Andrea
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
River Cartwright is following the family tradition, serving his country by joining MI5. All is going well until a spectacular stuff-up during an assessment exercise sees him relegated to the 'Slow Horses' of Slough House; where agents are sent to work on non-operational tasks until they either die of boredom or quietly resign.

That was the true purpose of Slough House. It was a way of losing people without having to get rid of them, sidestepping legal hassle and tribunal threats.

The Slow Horses a
William
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-stars and a bit. You can tell from the start that this is going to be good. Herron is a good writer, and this is the first in his "Slough House" (Slough as in "Ow!"). This is Quality writing. Fewer than one book in ten that I read is this good. Lots of worthwhile quotes below...

As usual with my reviews, please first read the publisher’s blurb/summary of the book. Thank you.

From the start, there is a very "Le Carré" feeling here, a feeling of wrecked lives in situations and characters. If you
Wanda
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Wanda by: CBC radio
Probably more like 3.5 stars

This was an excellent "it's too hot to think too hard" summer book. If you are into spy fiction, you will probably enjoy this novel.

The slow horses are the intelligence agents who have screwed up big time and have been exiled to Slough House to grind away at boring statistical tasks until they quit or die.

When River Cartwright gets a small surveillance task to perform, he actually starts paying attention to the currents flowing around him and notices a lot of details
Trudie
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, read-2018, crime
I have probably been a little sniffy going into this British spy novel. Its not my usual genre. I have never read John le Carre or taken a great interest in the politics of MI5. But on reflection I think this is a reasonably good start to a spy series. Slow Horses has a really strong premise and it's a great introduction to some characters that I think will grow nicely in future books. Although the ins and outs of being a 'spook' doesn't greatly interest me, I do like an underdog story. The 'slo ...more
Marianne
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow Horses is the first novel in the Slough House series by British author, Mick Herron. Slough House is a repository for inconvenient or incompetent spooks: the spies who have caused embarrassment by leaving a sensitive disc in a tube station or had an affair with the Venezuelan ambassador’s wife, or closed down Kings Cross Station in a training exercise. The “Slow Horses” are banished from Regent’s Park to Slough House where the hope is to bore the dead weights into jumping ship, to get them ...more
Sunita
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Excellent. It started slow for me, but once the plot kicked in it really took off, and the last quarter was unputdownable. I appreciated how each of the characters were rounded out by the end, and I really hope the one we lost isn't gone for good (there seem to be some hints to that effect, so I'm optimistic).

Jackson Lamb is a bit of a mashup of several large, shopworn, grouchy but brilliant investigators, but he's also his own character. Looking forward to Book 2.
Sebastien Castell
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I have a huge fondness for books about friendship, underdogs, and groups of misfits coming together. Slow Horses has that in spades, with its team of MI5 rejects, consigned to the forgotten heap that is Slough House – the building where agents who’ve royally screwed up find themselves. With that in mind, I would’ve expected to love Slow Horses, but in the end, I didn’t quite get there.

Mick Herron’s cast of characters are truly pitiable folks, but each has their own redeeming quality, and it’s sa
Julie Davis
Julie left a top secret recipe on the bus and Scott spectacularly screwed up a training exercise, which is why their new office is in Slough House next to the other slow horses. They have to whisper to talk about Slow Horses because they don't want Lamb to hear. Episode 131 of A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast.

Original review below.

=======

Slow Horses builds from the idea that the punishment for spies who have failed at their jobs is to send them to Slough House where they do paperwork. The id
Alex Cantone
If Moscow rules meant watch your back, London rules meant cover your arse. Moscow rules had been written on the streets, but London rules were devised in the corridors of Westminster, and the short version read: someone always pays. Make sure it isn’t you.

The “Slow Horses” at Slough House are sidelined from the British intelligence service, send there by Regents Park for various indiscretions, personal vices or incompetence, their career paths to go no further….except when they may prove useful…
Kitty
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Don't waist your time. The premise was good in theory but it failed in credibility. The plot was practically non existent. There is so much character development that by the time the author circles back to the character you've already forgotten who he or she was in the first place. The main character only shows up every 10 pages or so. I will give the author credit for dialogue but it's few and far between. SLOW HORSES failed to even leave the gate for me.
Judy Lesley
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, espionage, series
Slough House is the place where the rejects go. The hope is that the MI5 agents reassigned to work out of Slough House will eventually take the hint that their days of performing useful work are over and resign from the service. Sometimes that does happen, but more often they hang around wondering what they can do to get back in the good graces of those in charge. Slow Horses are what the mess-up agents are called and they work out of a place called Slough House with each agent trying to overcom ...more
The Cats Mother
What a great book, and start to a series. I was invited to download the five books in this series for free by NetGalley, as the last one is being released now. One of my GR friends has done the same and gave it a rave review - and I have to agree. I don’t normally read spy novels, but really enjoyed this: Jackson Lamb is a brilliant character and I loved the sly writing style, clues scattered into the plot to be retrieved just at the right moment.

Slough House is a London branch of MI5, where not
Loonywoman
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Far too self consciously clever for my liking. His style came across as over worked and contrived. The characters left me cold, I formed no relationship with any of them. But I can appreciate the complexity of the plot although, for me, the constant flitting between strands detracted from the flow. The fact that River followed his grandfather into intelligence and that they openly discussed other agents stretched credulity. All in all, not my cup of tea.
Nigeyb
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a series to fill the John Le Carré’s Smiley-sized hole in my world of literature, and so I followed up a strong recommendation from GoodReads friend Susan to try some Mick Herron, and I’m very glad I did.

The "slow horses" of the book’s title are the intelligence workers at "Slough House" (sounds like slow horse, geddit?), an anonymous building where disgraced and fallen spies are sent to undertake menial and soul destroying tasks until they either resign or retire.

Whilst aspe
Paul Lockman
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-favourites
4.5 stars rounded up.
This is one of those books I think I would read again, mainly to pick up on some of the wit and brilliance of the writing that I may have missed this first time. It’s so funny in parts, very dry, cynical and full of incisive and biting comments on the human condition, the state of the world and life in the 21st century. Thoroughly enjoyable and I will keep reading this series for sure.
Mark
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I never got into this book. Too many characters, too smart to be entertaining and ultimately quite boring. The premise was good, but instead of a rollicking and humorous spy thriller, the author chose to be smart and complicated. I got bored with it early and found myself only interested in the fate of the abductee (at the centre of the story) and not caring for the rest of them. A wasted opportunity for a really memorable series.
Nooilforpacifists
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
After a slow start, a well better-than-average mirrors within mirrors MI5 espionage and counter-espionage story.
  • The Silent Oligarch (Ben Webster, #1)
  • The Spanish Game (Alec Milius #2)
  • At Risk (Liz Carlyle, #1)
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • Then We Take Berlin (Joe Wilderness, #1)
  • Trouble on the Thames
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • The Shanghai Factor
  • The Midnight Swimmer (Catesby #2)
  • Spy Games (Philip Mangan #2)
  • The Defection of A.J. Lewinter
  • The Midnight Promise
  • Anonymous Sources
  • Faith (Bernard Samson, #7)
  • Original Skin (Aector McAvoy, #2)
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • The Other Side of Silence (Bernie Gunther, #11)
  • Thick as Thieves
Mick Herron was born in Newcastle and has a degree in English from Balliol College, Oxford. He is the author of six books in the Slough House series as well as a mystery series set in Oxford featuring Sarah Tucker and/or P.I. Zoë Boehm. He now lives in Oxford and works in London.

Slough House (6 books)
  • Dead Lions (Slough House, #2)
  • Real Tigers (Slough House, #3)
  • Spook Street (Slough House, #4)
  • London Rules (Slough House, #5)
  • Jackson Lamb Thriller 6 (Slough House #6)
“Lamb said, ‘If you had issues with him, I could have spoken to HR. Arranged an intervention.’ He tapped Moody’s shoulder with his foot. ‘Breaking his neck without going through your line manager, that shit stays on your record.” 11 likes
“Half of the future is buried in the past. That was the prevailing Service culture. Hence” 4 likes